Is yoga any good?

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals for doing it.. relaxing yes, stretches are great makes you more flexible.

If you are looking though for a real workout to me it wasnt enough alot of times you move fairly fast through positions depending on the teacher....

if you are looking for a real workout that will test you that is similar to yoga.. do pilates.

This!^ I love pilates .... key: if it seems easy to you .... you're not doing it correctly.

I agree with this yoga "can" be a workout ...but more often it's not enough. Yoga is great for flexibility & balance.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    is it good to do along side cardio workouts? to lose weight and tone?

it depends on what kind you do, there are some designed to tone, some designed for fat loss. I do a long (1hr) yoga workout once a week and a short stretching routine that incorporates yoga moves after each cardio/strength workout. It helps with flexibility and also (if done correctly) can help prevent injuries. Yoga, if not done correctly, can cause serious injuries, especially to the back.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Bro-ga where its ok if you can't touch you're toes...
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    take it from an indian guy....Yoga is effective....
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once per week and workout on the other days. It is SO good for your mental and overall wellbeing with the meditation and it strengthens muscles that regular work outs do not. I would say DO IT! You won't regret it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Depends on what you want it to do -

My yoga studio also does Pilates, but I haven't tried that part yet. I have yoga classes 4 days a week (some are an hour, some are an hour and a half). I pay a monthly fee for unlimited classes (it's a chain, so I know every place is different)

I do not do any HOT yoga, as I have medical issues and am not allowed to be in heat or humidity for any long periods of time (anything over 15 minutes), so I can't tell you about those, but I have friends who did a class or two and really enjoyed it, but the price is horrendous.

You can always try it and if you don't like it don't go. Depending on where you live, sometimes you can find a groupon for a week's trial at a low price or try a free class coupon.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    depends on your goals for doing it.. relaxing yes, stretches are great makes you more flexible.

If you are looking though for a real workout to me it wasnt enough alot of times you move fairly fast through positions depending on the teacher....

if you are looking for a real workout that will test you that is similar to yoga.. do pilates.

Ha! Have you ever tried P90X yoga? I never though yoga was a "real workout" either until I tried that! :laugh: