Help!

Options
I'm at a loss. I've been logging for about 65 days straight and, for the most part, staying in my calorie goals. I try to eat homemade, non-processed foods and go for walks or swims every week. The past 2-3 weeks has been hard to have a formal workout because my husband and I just closed on our first home and have been packing and moving and the like. Planning on starting back up at the gym next week.
The catch, I've been stuck between 140-145lbs since November. I can't seem to get any weight off. A lot of people recommend weight lifting to help, but I absolutely HATE lifting. I have a bad shoulder and early onset arthritis that makes it less than enjoyable. The only workouts I seem to stick with is walking with the dog, swimming and biking.
How can I get the extra weight off??? I'm 5'1 and would really like to be back at 125 lbs, but I can't seem to get there.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh out your food? If not, you could be eating more than you originally thought.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow I could be you !! Funny how similar we are.....I'm trying to keep on track and persiver. ..its sooo difficult though. ..We can do it :smiley:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you aren't eating at a calorie deficit. It's almost always that simple. You'll either want to tighten up your calorie counting by weighing your food and logging everything or shoot for a lower calorie goal each day, both of which should accomplish the same goal.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh my lunches, usually not with dinner, but I make sure my plate isn't full and when I do recipes, I don't usually do servings by weight but by how many servings we got out of the recipe. I do log everything I eat and have cut out snacking, but if I eat much less than what I'm logging, I am super hungry. I also have to be very careful because I'm hypoglycemic so if I don't eat enough I get dizzy and can end up in the ER (done that twice, really don't want a repeat lol )
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »
    I weigh my lunches, usually not with dinner, but I make sure my plate isn't full and when I do recipes, I don't usually do servings by weight but by how many servings we got out of the recipe. I do log everything I eat and have cut out snacking, but if I eat much less than what I'm logging, I am super hungry. I also have to be very careful because I'm hypoglycemic so if I don't eat enough I get dizzy and can end up in the ER (done that twice, really don't want a repeat lol )

You don't weigh what you have for dinner? Going off how full your plate is is not an accurate way of judging calorie intake. If there's a failing in your counting, that'll be it.
  • Azexas
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think that may be your problem. Use a food scale and measure everything.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    If your calories are in check, if its homemade or non processed won't matter. But I bet it tastes good

I would recommend to also start bringing your macros into line as well. I use this.
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This was my reply to someone else last night, but I think it applies here as well.

In order to stay under my calorie limit, I find I need to make smart food choices. A pound of strawberries vs 12 peanut m&m's, which one will fill you more?

Eat more of:
    lean proteins
    berries
    steamed, boiled or raw veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, peas, brussels sprouts (roasted, yum!) asparagus...
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese (125g for 100 calories is a bargain!)

Eat less of (notice I don't say not to eat, just in moderation):
    pasta, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn (you'll know what to avoid based on the calories per grams)
    High fat proteins
    Candy, sweets, ice cream.

Once you find the right balance, you can eat anything, if you can make it fit your macros. Use a food scale. Weigh everything, log everything. Succeed.

It's also a matter of balancing out your calories through the day to where you need them. I like to snack at night, so I save a lot of calories for dinner and late night snacks.

Yesterday I had a 300 calorie breakfast, 250 calorie lunch, 550 calorie supper (high for me!) and the rest went to snacks (typically a greek yogurt, berries with milk and sugar, a small tin of flavoured tuna, etc). Usually supper would be around 400 calories, like a good serving of pan seared sole, with a huge helping of broccoli with a bit of butter, maybe some peas or carrots, and a tiny serving of mashed potatoes (make sure to log the milk and butter you use).

If you're not losing and are in a deficit, you're eating more than you think, and therefore, not actually in a deficit.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    Open your diary
    Done, I think. But might not stay public, not 100% comfortable with it.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You need to weigh everything you eat. Peanut butter especially as it's so calorific.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    This was my reply to someone else last night, but I think it applies here as well.

In order to stay under my calorie limit, I find I need to make smart food choices. A pound of strawberries vs 12 peanut m&m's, which one will fill you more?

Eat more of:
    lean proteins
    berries
    steamed, boiled or raw veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, peas, brussels sprouts (roasted, yum!) asparagus...
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese (125g for 100 calories is a bargain!)

Eat less of (notice I don't say not to eat, just in moderation):
    pasta, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn (you'll know what to avoid based on the calories per grams)
    High fat proteins
    Candy, sweets, ice cream.

Once you find the right balance, you can eat anything, if you can make it fit your macros. Use a food scale. Weigh everything, log everything. Succeed.

It's also a matter of balancing out your calories through the day to where you need them. I like to snack at night, so I save a lot of calories for dinner and late night snacks.

Yesterday I had a 300 calorie breakfast, 250 calorie lunch, 550 calorie supper (high for me!) and the rest went to snacks (typically a greek yogurt, berries with milk and sugar, a small tin of flavoured tuna, etc). Usually supper would be around 400 calories, like a good serving of pan seared sole, with a huge helping of broccoli with a bit of butter, maybe some peas or carrots, and a tiny serving of mashed potatoes (make sure to log the milk and butter you use).

If you're not losing and are in a deficit, you're eating more than you think, and therefore, not actually in a deficit.

I do try and keep my calories balanced, usually I don't eat a huge breakfast as it makes me sick, so it's usually either baked eggs with some salsa or oatmeal (Not the instant kind, steel cut made in the crock pot) or multigrain bread with peanut butter and tea. I try really hard not to snack in the AM, if I need to, I have a container of fruit. Lunch is usually leftovers that I have weighed because we freeze all most leftovers in lunch sized portions. Dinners are planned the week before based on what's on sale that week lol and I only have dessert if I have the room in my count for it.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    You need to weigh everything you eat. Peanut butter especially as it's so calorific.
    Silly question but how do I weigh peanut butter? Especially at work since that's where I make my breakfast.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Silly question but how do I weigh peanut butter? Especially at work since that's where I make my breakfast.

Zero out your food scale with the spoon on it, then scoop up peanut butter and place on scale. You may have to prescoop before work and bring it with out
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I put my spoon on the scales, press on, scoop out however much peanut butter I want, put the spoon back on the scales to get the weight.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    Bah, or buy a scale for work since that's where the PB is kept. I guess I can swing that.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale for work, weigh your toast, hit zero, put on your peanut butter and re-weigh
  • faegirl22
    Options
    Yeah, will look into it for sure. Gotta wait a pay or two though, buying a house and all the stuff to go in it is expensive!! But worth it, got my own kitchen to make whatever I want now!