Too many carbs

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    yaffatxfit wrote: »
    I follow a plant-based diet because I hate counting calories or portions, and I like to eat when I'm hungry. So my daily intake is 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein. Carbs are good for you. They provide you with your daily energy and they feed your brain and cells. Type II diabetics can reverse their diabetes by following this plan.

Oh dear glob, that is the worst macro distribution ever. Let me guess, even though you don't count them, you're sure you're consuming at least 5,000 calories.

Please eat some fat and protein before you get sick.

• Christine_72
    I follow a plant-based diet because I hate counting calories or portions, and I like to eat when I'm hungry. So my daily intake is 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein. Carbs are good for you. They provide you with your daily energy and they feed your brain and cells. Type II diabetics can reverse their diabetes by following this plan.

Oh dear glob, that is the worst macro distribution ever. Let me guess, even though you don't count them, you're sure you're consuming at least 5,000 calories.

Please eat some fat and protein before you get sick.

I agree. Definitely an unhealthy and unbalanced.

@yafftxfit not saying you have to set you macros exactly like this, but here are mine:

Carbs- 35%
    Protein- 35%
    Fat- 30%

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Fiber is a carbohydrate so foods high in fiber are going to be high in carbs as a result. Those who follow a low carb lifestyle usually subtract fiber carbs from the total carbs they eat because fiber doesn't impact blood sugar and much of it isn't digested anyway.

Only in the US. The rest of the world lists fiber separately on labels to begin with, so their carbs are already "net carbs."

so they don't list fibre grams on the back of the pack in America?
    Fiber is a carbohydrate so foods high in fiber are going to be high in carbs as a result. Those who follow a low carb lifestyle usually subtract fiber carbs from the total carbs they eat because fiber doesn't impact blood sugar and much of it isn't digested anyway.

Only in the US. The rest of the world lists fiber separately on labels to begin with, so their carbs are already "net carbs."

So they don't lost fibre separately on the back of the back in America? Like this:

US labels have Carbohydrates as a category, then have two sub-listings below it, one for fiber and one for sugars.
    Kelloggs_Smart_Start_Healthy_Heart_Nutrition_Information.png

Whatever number the total fiber is, it's included in the number listed after carbs.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    thats the great thing about the human body (in general) there is no such thing as eating too much of any macronutrients we have the ability to extract most of our nutrients from a wide variety of food and combinations. Honestly, unless you are diabetic or insulin resistant I would just focus on portion control and continue eating high fiber foods despite carbohydrate content. Ensuring adequate fiber intake is a bigger concern then eating too many carbohydrates.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

Here is an example at how amazing the human body can be this person eats plant base thus meaning they primarily eat carbohydrates. However, if you polled an native Inuit it would probably be reversed 80% fat 10% protein 10% carbohydrate. Both are correct because we are omnivores and can maintain health on either diet provided we get the correct amount of nutrients we cant process like the 8 essential amino acids. Pretty cool! No such thing as the wrong diet or too much of this macronutrient.
  • Christine_72

So they don't lost fibre separately on the back of the back in America? Like this:

US labels have Carbohydrates as a category, then have two sub-listings below it, one for fiber and one for sugars.

Whatever number the total fiber is, it's included in the number listed after carbs.

I like how it lists soluble and insoluble fibre. We don't get that here.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    I too am trying to work on nutrition. I am trying to increase my fiber but am finding high fiber foods have been high in carbs. I'm not so much trying to restrict carbs but 60% of my diet should not be carbs I would think.Any suggestions?

If you are getting 60% of your calories from carbs but are not getting enough fiber, that strongly suggests you are eating a lot of processed food and added sugars. A little bit of "junk" is perfectly fine, but more than half of your diet, maybe not so much.

Make room for healthy fiber and complex carbohydrates by cutting back on things like sweets, white bread, packaged cookies, white rice, fruit juice (whole fruit is better than juice!).

tldr; Replace some (maybe a lot) of your low fiber carbs with high fiber ones.

Problem solved.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

I like how it lists soluble and insoluble fibre. We don't get that here.

That part is voluntary. I wish more did it, but it usually only shows up on things marketed as healthy w/ added fiber. It'll be on Smart Start, but not on Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member

There is so much wrong here. Diabetics CANNOT process carbs in the same way non-diabetics can. A diet consisting of 80% carb is pretty much a death sentence for a diabetic.

And whenever anyone gives the tired old "your brain and cells need carbs to function" argument, I tell them this:
    1. if your blood sugar is normal, then your brain and cells have enough fuel to function.
    2. if your blood sugar is high, then your brain and cells already have more fuel than they can process and there's no reason to eat any more carbs.
    3. if your blood sugar is low, then your brain and cells need fuel, so by all means eat some carbs.

You should thank your lucky stars that your body can handle an 80%-carb diet!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    You cannot get fiber without carbs because fiber is a type of carbohydrate.

How are you eating so many carbs without getting fiber? That's where I'd look if I were you...plenty of people have diets quite high in carbohydrates (vegetarians and vegans are obvious examples) but they focus on veggies, fruits, pulses, and whole grains, which are significant fiber sources. (bonus on grain based foods is that the choices which are higher in fiber also tend to be higher in protein!)

And, no. High carbohydrates won't "reverse" The Beetus. That's not just wrong, it's dangerous, because diabetes is BY DEFINITION an inability to safely and efficiently process carbohydrates. Low carb diets (FFS, it's just what you eat, it's not a "lifestyle.") are optional for most people but very important for diabetics and their health. Deadly Broscience is the worst of all the Brosciences.
  • Carbs aren't necessarily bad for you. You should restrict carbs that are inherently bad for you like cupcakes or white bread, but carbs that are high in fiber like oats and whole grains are great for you! An easy way to check if the carbs you are eating are healthy is if they are whole grain. These are some of the best carbs because they have not been refined. It will usually say on the ingredients label if it is made of whole grains. Good luck! :)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    spfldpam wrote: »
    My nutritionist says a person needs 125 grams of carbs a day and to eat good carbs and not processed foods with bad carbs. Fiber carbs are good as they are not processed like other carbs in the body.

There's so much bull s**t in that I think you're beyond help. Enjoy being scared of food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I too am trying to work on nutrition. I am trying to increase my fiber but am finding high fiber foods have been high in carbs. I'm not so much trying to restrict carbs but 60% of my diet should not be carbs I would think.Any suggestions?

Without seeing your diary (or knowing anything about you) I have no opinion on whether you need to worry about that total carb amount, but maybe identify and consider switching out some of your lower fiber carbs for higher fiber ones? For example, beans have a ton of fiber, whole grains have more than the white or more refined version of those products, some oatmeal has more than others, veggies with add some with very few calories, fruit will add some for more calories, but some fruits (like berries) have better fiber to calorie ratios than others.

This. Smartest post here.