lifting

Options
ok I am going to try and start doing some strength traing and start lifting weights I have never really focused on this, but I know with the weight i need to loose and the shape I want to get my body I am going to have to I need ideas of how to start though. I dont want to hurt myself so any ideas of how to go about starting would be awesome :) thanks..

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Research. You can't just start lifting like you could start running. If you're going to do it, know what you are doing and why.

These are the four things that I learned with:
    1) MFP
    2) Starting Strength, a book by Mark Rippetoe
    3) New Rules of Lifting for Women (Amazon has this book for $15)
    4) YouTube form instruction videos.

Read those books and watch youtube videos to really get your form down in your head. Know what you need to do. Go to the gym with a plan. Write down exactly what you're doing to do when you get there, then you won't wander around looking lost. Always warm up and cool down. And don't get discouraged. You CAN do it, and you will be so glad you did.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Start by learning as much as you can. Find a program that catches your interest. Some that people will recommend are Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifing for Women, etc.

You will need to initially focus on form, so watching Youtube Videos and keeping the weight very light is key. Progress with the weight slowly, keeping form as your top priority.

Always, ALWAYS warm up properly.
  • whierd
    Options
    Research. You can't just start lifting like you could start running. If you're going to do it, know what you are doing and why.

1) MFP

Read those books and watch youtube videos to really get your form down in your head. Know what you need to do. Go to the gym with a plan. Write down exactly what you're doing to do when you get there, then you won't wander around looking lost. Always warm up and cool down. And don't get discouraged. You CAN do it, and you will be so glad you did.

SHUT UP NAOMI
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

1) MFP

SHUT UP NAOMI

I GOT HERE FIRST, YOU SHUT UP.

Oh wait. You said what I did.

Carry on.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    ditto PP advice. Or, if you can afford it, a couple of personal training sessions can show you some basic moves as well, just so you get the hang of it.

If $$ is an issue, youtube is great for instructional videos, and I really enjoyed New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Good luck! If you need a friend for motivation, feel free to add me. :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    Options
    You just said it better than I did.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Well.

Let's not act surprised. :smokin:
  • whierd
    Options

Well.

Let's not act surprised. :smokin:

:laugh:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Like others have said I would really advocate a basic 5x5 program like stronglfits/starting strength - I know nothing about NROL4W but a program that advocates any difference in lifting between men and women makes no sense to me, I firmly believe women should train like men and they will love the results

youtube videos are great for instructions on how to do the lifts

but most importantly start REALLY REALLY light - weight is inconsequential when you are beginning, just start slowly and let your body adjust to the movements and progress with the weight over time
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Like others have said I would really advocate a basic 5x5 program like stronglfits/starting strength - I know nothing about NROL4W but a program that advocates any difference in lifting between men and women makes no sense to me, I firmly believe women should train like men and they will love the results

but most importantly start REALLY REALLY light - weight is inconsequential when you are beginning, just start slowly and let your body adjust to the movements and progress with the weight over time

You're right, you know nothing about New Rules of Lifting for Women.

It is based on lifting like men.
  • whierd
    Options

You're right, you know nothing about New Rules of Lifting for Women.

It is based on lifting like men.

Place_Brofist_here_by_Defiant_Ant.jpg
  • jdyg81
    jdyg81 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As far as YouTube I use sixpackshort cuts he gets great advice and I see results and strengthcamp there are alto of videos these two caughtmy eye cause it's sound advice best of luck
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Jefit.com and nerdfitness.com are two very good resources for beginner lifters. They explain the logic behind the required forms and will help you create a workout that matches your abilities.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Books and videos are great - later!! If you are just starting - make the investment in yourself and engage a certified trainer. Learn to do the exercises correctly - AND with the proper intensity, proper nutrition and proper REST.

Your putting in the effort, might as well get the most results, right?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Books and videos are great - later!! If you are just starting - make the investment in yourself and engage a certified trainer. Learn to do the exercises correctly - AND with the proper intensity, proper nutrition and proper REST.

Strong first post. But wrong.

I (and numerous others) learned on our own, and we are more than just fine. If you have trouble with anything after trying it yourself, THEN spend the money. The truth is that there's no reason you should not be able to do what everyone else has done: learn from the ground up and get amazing results because we educated ourselves. Many trainers don't even do powerlifting.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I (and numerous others) learned on our own, and we are more than just fine. If you have trouble with anything after trying it yourself, THEN spend the money. The truth is that there's no reason you should not be able to do what everyone else has done: learn from the ground up and get amazing results because we educated ourselves. Many trainers don't even do powerlifting.

Agreed here. I educated myself first, and then got a session with a personal trainer. What a waste of money. She knew nothing (wanted me to squat and dead in the Smith), and suggested I work with the TRX rather than free weights (which is fine if you like the TRX, but I specifically told her I wanted to lift heavy with free weights). I have continued to educate myself, and am getting ready to start Stage 3 NROLFW. My squats have gone from 45 to 150, deads from 45 to 160, and I have improved all my other lifts as well. I have not injured myself in any way, and I lift within my limits so I don't need a spotter at the gym. It can be done.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Not everyone can afford sessions. Just because someone goes the route of teaching themselves and learning through written material, youtube, videos, or/and online/RL friends with experience instructions doesn't make their efforts, results and success ay less because they started without a trainer -.-
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Books and videos are cool!

11thdr-fez-hp2.jpg
  • whierd
    Options

I agree with this. Many trainers cater to the uneducated newbies of fitness. Once you start educating yourself you will see that -most- trainers just aren't worth it.