Going over my "Sugars" everyday please help

Options
So I have been trying to eat better for about 2 weeks now. I have cut out sugar and as many carbs as I could and have replaced sweets with better options. As of recently I have started logging my meals into MFP and everyday I go over my sugar intake. I am great with everything else being way under or about where it is suppose to be but the sugar. I am not eating sweet treats just merely fruits and vegetables that have natural sugar in them (I drink a smoothie n the morning where most of the "sugar" comes from) Should I been worried about constantly being way over my limit if I am not eating bad sugar??

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason there is no need to track your sugars. The issue with MFP is it doesn't differentiate between added sugars and sugars in fruits, vegetables or dairy. ETA: I go over my MFP sugar "limit" everyday and have lost 31.5 pounds
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not the devil, it's just a carb (which is also not the devil). Track sugar as a carb and don't be scared of carbs. I go over on carbs every lifting day.

Rigger
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Amanda is right. Stay within your calorie goal and don't fuss about the sugars unless, like me, you need to watch them closely.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, MFP's guidelines are based on the recommendations for added sugars, but the system has no way to differentiate between natural and added sugars. Unless you have a medical reason to keep your sugars low, most of us tend not to worry about it.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was concerned but I was going crazy thinking how could I cut more sugar out when I need the nutrients from the smoothie!! (I am not a breakfast person)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Amanda and Rigger hit the nail on the head.

I no longer track sugar and now track fiber instead. I'm down 35 pounds without tracking sugar :)
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Also does anyone know why I cannot add Elliptical to my workouts? It say no match found...
  • Azexas
    Options
    It comes up on my phone under cardio and it's listed as "elliptical trainer"
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Vango2
    Vango2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi
    You should watch your intake of fresh fruits because they have calories and natural sugar which can hinder you losing weight. Carbs do add up which can increase the insulin in your body leading to diabetes. Eat in moderation because to much of anything is not good for the body or life.
  • Generic_Excuse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have half a banana, 6 strawberries, 1/3 cucumber, 2 cups spinach, 1/2 lemon juice, and a granny smith apple in smoothie form every morning. Sometimes I will have 1/2 an apple at lunch and spinach I eat all day lol.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    My smoothies are 227 calories and 59 carbs
  • Azexas
    Options
    Vango2 wrote: »
    Hi
    You should watch your intake of fresh fruits because they have calories and natural sugar which can hinder you losing weight. Carbs do add up which can increase the insulin in your body leading to diabetes. Eat in moderation because to much of anything is not good for the body or life.

The only thing that prevents someone from losing weight is eating too many calories. Not how many macro or micronutriants an item has.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    I never go over my calorie intake or carbs limit so I think I am okay :)
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to know without seeing your diary. If you're a big deficit and going over on sugars, I'd be curious to know what your protein intake is like - there's only so much room in the meal plan.

Not saying there is (or isn't) an issue, just saying that without more details it is difficult to give meaningful advice.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I never go over my calorie intake or carbs limit so I think I am okay :)

I eat a ton of fruit everyday. I am a vegetarian and just like to stay within my carbs. Sounds like you are doing great!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Vango2 wrote: »
    Hi

This is not true. Disregard this post OP.

Going over your sugars is not going to hurt your progress at all if you are in a calorie deficit.

Barring any medical reasons for limiting sugar, of course.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Should I been worried about constantly being way over my limit if I am not eating bad sugar??

If you are way over, are you under on something else? Are you over on carbs in general, or is it just that most of your carbs are sugar? Protein, fat and fiber are pretty important for heatlh so you might want to make sure you are not too low on those.

For weight loss calories is what matters, so do what you need to do to stay on track.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    My calorie intake is always under as well as my carbs are under and sodium is always less than the limit the ONLY thing that is over is sugar and the limit is 25 and just from my breakfast veggie and fruit smoothie it is already 37 lol and the rest of the day is probably like 11 (if that) total from other meals/snacks