Watching Cooking Shows Can Make Your Fat

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I was flipping channels and stopped on the Food Network for a few seconds once. A hand came out the TV and forced me to eat one million bad calories.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am very susceptible to wanting foods that I see on TV. Every time I watch "Friends" I want NY style pizza. And I live in the Midwest! And you cannot get NY style pizza here! I don't even really know what NY style pizza tastes like, but I know it has giant triangles of pizza, which is pretty much non-existent in Chicagoland. So then I just end up ordering Chicago pizza, which is DELICIOUS, don't get me wrong.........Chicago pizza is the best pizza........ but it never ends up hitting the spot. :-(

Ooooh....I miss The Original Gino's East and Giordano's. And from Seattle - Pagliacci's. But I haven't had a nice Giordano's deep dish since 1992. I could totally go for one.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's 10 pm. I'm not hungry. I turn to the Food Network or Cooking Channel. Suddenly I'm ravenous.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    <
    watches cooking shows and follows cooking blogs, cooks with butter and heavy cream, lost 25lbs anyway. :smile:

*Gasp* Looks like we have a special snowflake in our midst! :laugh:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    So untrue for me. Maybe y'all live too close o the store or don't have weird hangups about having to wear makeup in public or something.

BUT I will not watch it if I only have a couple hundred calories for the day. I don't need to be in the kitchen making nachos because of an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only watch Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. Almost none of the dishes they make are things that I would want to eat. :p
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I pretty much only watch Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. Almost none of the dishes they make are things that I would want to eat. :p

Let me cook the ingredients I salvaged from stuffed olives while using only the heat from this menorah and wearing extremely heavy space boots

I actually only watch these shows while on a treadmill so technically they're making me thin.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown totally breaks into my house and forces me to eat over my maintenance. Damn you, Food Network!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    <
    watches cooking shows and follows cooking blogs, cooks with butter and heavy cream, lost 25lbs anyway. :smile:

Don't forget cream cheese and full fat cheese of all kinds!!

I will eat good food in smaller quantities before I eat flavorless food in bulk!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Saturday mornings, no one else is awake, there's nothing decent on TV so I turn on Food Network and there's that damn Pioneer Woman making food for cowboys and ranch hands. And I end up wanting the biggest, butteriest bacon egg and cheese sandwich on the planet. Man, I'll be glad when Finding Bigfoot comes back so I can watch some mindless TV that makes me LOSE my appetite instead of the other way around.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am very susceptible to wanting foods that I see on TV. Every time I watch "Friends" I want NY style pizza.

And I thought you were going to bring up that episode where Rachel put beef in the trifle. "Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good."

;-)

I actually find cooking shows inspire me to cook, and I enjoy playing around with food ideas to make them lower cal, so it's not typically a problem.

This is pretty much me. I read cookbooks like novels too. I don't get inspired to eat, I just get ideas for new things to try for meals and new flavor/ingredient combinations.

• ameliajane90
    ameliajane90 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cooking shows never bothered me. But at my old apartment complex's (very small) gym I used to turn on food network on the TV so that the gym would empty out faster and I'd have the place to myself so...there might be something there. ;)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have to turn the channel. Christmas time I got caught up in tv cooking channel and gained 7 lbs going to the store to get the ingredients to cook that stuff
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cooking shows don't make me fat. My piss-poor choices make me fat. Cooking shows have taught me how to use spices and herbs to improve the taste of the balanced and fresh meals I prepare, but it's my lack of self-control that causes me to eat multiple servings.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Watch an episode of My 600lb Life and you won't be tempted.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    One of the biggest triggers for me is that show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It's like everything featured on the show is 5,000 calories and I generally want all of it.

Hilltop-Cafe-Diner-Everest-Cut-7049-Custom1.jpg

Why are you taking pictures in my kitchen?
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love cooking shows. I watch them all the time. I don't jump up and make them though. I'm to lazy for that. I just sit and think "I'd like to make that one day" but usually I never do. I have added some healthy cooking shows to my DVR. PBS has a show called Eating 80/20. The lady is a little boring but the recipes are good. Cooking Channel has Good Housekeeping How to drop 5 lbs. and a vegan show How to live to be 100. I'm not vegan but I like that I learn a lot about the benefits of vegetables.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just watch an episode of Hoarders right after. Problem solved.
    or extreme cheapskates...hurl!
    I guess I'm lucky in that I really do not like any of the current food personalities (except Alton Brown) so I don't watch any cooking shows anymore.
    I love that man!

On topic however, I am too lazy to go get the ingredients or set the time aside to make the things. I like my go to recipes that I can do in my sleep, because again, LAZY!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like to cook anyway - the cooking shows never made me cook more than I do already. Fine Cooking, Bon Appetit, etc., do. Buying a new cookbook does, or a new kitchen appliance. Finding an interesting recipe or ingredient online does.

I'm slowly baking my way through Vintage Cakes (awesome recipes), have a batch of liege waffles in the freezer to try on my new waffle iron, am experimenting with baked oatmeal recipes with added protein powder (thanks Recipe sub-forum), and just made corned beef and cabbage (and carrots and potatoes) last night. None of it was inspired by TV food shows.

I just try to make things that freeze well and portion them out when I'm done. A cake takes 10-12 days to eat IF I eat a piece every day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. If I make so much I know I won't eat it all, or it turns out to be something not to my taste, or it won't fit in my freezer, it comes in to work to get devoured.