Is this normal, am I doing something wrong?

Options
A little less than two weeks left and I will have completed Insanity two month program. I have to say this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I am happy and proud to have come this far though I wish I would have lost more than just 4lbs. I worked very hard and I guess I just feel like 4lbs is such a small and insignificant reward for two months of torture. There were days where I cried because it was so tough. I followed the program's recommended diet of 40% carbs 40%protein and 20% fat for the most part and followed it 85-90% of the time. I do see some muscle gain and my legs are toner, but is this good progress? I mean all progress good but I'm saying is this what I'm supposed to get from 2 months of heavy workouts, 6 days a week for two months or am I lacking results, if so, what am I doing wrong? Am I eating too much too little? I am considering doing a second round and putting in a total of four months of Insanity. I weigh 144 and stand 5'5. My goal is to get to 130-134 and tone up. Advice anyone?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you've made good progress. You are not overweight to begin with. By that, I mean that you might weigh more than you would like but you are not at an unhealthy weight. The closer you are to ideal weight, the less the scale number shows your progress and the more the mirror and the tape measure show it.

The people here in MFP land usually recommend aiming for a half pound weight loss a week when you are as close to goal as you currently are so I think that you are right on track. You've lost the weight and can see progress in the mirror. Good work!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Right on track. Good job!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rosemg07 wrote: »
    A little less than two weeks left and I will have completed Insanity two month program. I have to say this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I am happy and proud to have come this far though I wish I would have lost more than just 4lbs. I worked very hard and I guess I just feel like 4lbs is such a small and insignificant reward for two months of torture. There were days where I cried because it was so tough. I followed the program's recommended diet of 40% carbs 40%protein and 20% fat for the most part and followed it 85-90% of the time. I do see some muscle gain and my legs are toner, but is this good progress? I mean all progress good but I'm saying is this what I'm supposed to get from 2 months of heavy workouts, 6 days a week for two months or am I lacking results, if so, what am I doing wrong? Am I eating too much too little? I am considering doing a second round and putting in a total of four months of Insanity. I weigh 144 and stand 5'5. My goal is to get to 130-134 and tone up. Advice anyone?

I see you were tracking your macros, were you also counting your calories? I'll start by assuming that the answer is yes and that you kept a sensible deficit.

Fluid changes can cause weight swings in a short period of time. Even if the 4 pound change you see is an accurate accounting of body fat lost, I think it sounds like a success...2 weeks left of a 2 month program means you've been at it for 6 weeks....and, considering you are only looking to lose about 10-15 pounds, a slightly lower than a pound a week loss is exactly where you should be. Good and sensible weight loss with improved fitness.

Win.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh my scale everyday and it gets frustrating because the weigh shows small decreases. BUT....I have lost some many sizes (from a 12 to a 6 (and I can take my jeans off with out using the zipper or button!). So...my thought is that the scale is NOT the only way to show a loss.
  • rosemg07
    rosemg07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Your insights were incredibly helpful. I've never been in this position before, where I am so close to my goal weight. This is also the first time I attempt toning up, before it was all about weight-loss, now my goals are a little different. It's very frustrating not to see scale move. I will start tracking my progress with measuring tape as recommended. Also, as far as calories go, to be honest I am not completely sure if I'm eating enough or if I'm eating too much. MFP has me eating 1,440 calories a day, however once I record my workout it allows me about 600 calories more, putting me at about 2,000 calories a day. I usually stay around 1,400 calories. Am I eating too little? On my high days I go up to 1,700 calories a day and stay within that range. Should I stay at about 1,440 or should I aim higher? I'm not exactly sure. What I do know is that I stay at 40%carb 40%protein and 20%fat for the most part. I workout 6 times a week for about 45-1hr. During the day I don't do much strenuous work. I do some walking, go up stairs minimally as a student. Your advice is much appreciated.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rosemg07 wrote: »
    Thank you so much, everyone! Your insights were incredibly helpful. I've never been in this position before, where I am so close to my goal weight. This is also the first time I attempt toning up, before it was all about weight-loss, now my goals are a little different. It's very frustrating not to see scale move. I will start tracking my progress with measuring tape as recommended. Also, as far as calories go, to be honest I am not completely sure if I'm eating enough or if I'm eating too much. MFP has me eating 1,440 calories a day, however once I record my workout it allows me about 600 calories more, putting me at about 2,000 calories a day. I usually stay around 1,400 calories. Am I eating too little? On my high days I go up to 1,700 calories a day and stay within that range. Should I stay at about 1,440 or should I aim higher? I'm not exactly sure. What I do know is that I stay at 40%carb 40%protein and 20%fat for the most part. I workout 6 times a week for about 45-1hr. During the day I don't do much strenuous work. I do some walking, go up stairs minimally as a student. Your advice is much appreciated.

For weight loss alone, your macro ratios are irrelevant. However, it sounds like you are staying in a good moderate deficit zone on calories, and 40-40-20 isn't a loony macro balance, so you're very likely fine...just freaking out because you see silly weight loss goals and expectations when you look around you.

4 pounds in 6 weeks is just about PERFECT when you are 10-15 pounds from goal. The only thing I'd add is perhaps some harder core STRENGTH (as in weights) to complement your tough cardio routine. You are moving from weight loss into maintenance/recomp. You are doing well, don't break your stride! This is the time when the scale matters less and less and how you feel (strong, powerful, able to go forever) really matters. Start reveling in the new stuff your body can do!