Going mad..

Options
I am really struggling right now, I love the gym, well I love the exercising but i'm struggling with being part of a structured class.. being around people, I can't help but feel grotesque, massive. I find myself focusing so much on people around me that I feel physically sick before the classes, during and after tonight I haven't been able to stop sobbing since. I don't really know what to do, I don't want to end up getting scared to attend the classes as I need the structure and i'm even more terrified to go into the main gym itself as I feel so conscious.
It seems the more I do the worse I get, but I can't stop and nothing is working. I've cut off my friends because I don't think they'll understand how I feel, deleted FB, not been going out as much.

Replies

• hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I doubt the people in class are paying a lot of attention to you because they are busy focusing on themselves while they are there. Sounds like your anti-social feelings could be something deeper if you're closing off your friends also. Have you considered therapy? I hope you find some help and don't give up. I wish you the best on your journey.
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert in anything but reading your post I thought of Social Anxiety. I struggled with anxiety and panic attacks in my 20's. I felt very uncomfortable in certain situations that made me feel like leaving places.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You are anything but grotesque and massive! It really does sound like something you should seek professional help for if you are isolating yourself from your friends. Best wishes!
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think most of us feel like that when we are on a weight loss journey. I know I did. Do still. It's sounds like you are being very hard on yourself, is there someone you could talk to about how you are feeling, a friend, relative?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You should probably seek therapy to help you cope with these feelings. I'm of the "just do it" mentality, so for me I just suck it up and roll on. Some can't do it, though, because it's just too hard to handle. Those are the someones that need help to learn coping and calming strategies. You should handle it now and try to regain control of your emotions so that you can be happy throughout this journey.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert in anything but reading your post I thought of Social Anxiety. I struggled with anxiety and panic attacks in my 20's. I felt very uncomfortable in certain situations that made me feel like leaving places.

^^ This .....I still struggle with this all the time, I am now 40, the only way that I am able to exercise is I go for walks, I set my phone to map my walk and I go that way. It tells me how long I've walked/ran, how many calories, distance. For me it works, anxiety and panic attacks are the worst. I am working through them too, you are going to have to try and find something that works for you. Hugs honey!

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Those are all the symptoms I had of social anxiety (which for me was part of my clinical depression). I completely understand how difficult it is and how out of control and isolated it makes you feel. I highly recommend you speak to your doctor or a therapist as soon as possible. Isolating yourself compounds the problem because the more you are away from people, the more scary it becomes to be around them. Just making the phone call for an appointment is difficult but I promise it is an empowering thing to do and the doctor and his staff will understand and welcome you.

*This is totally based on my experience with anxiety and is in no way an attempt at a diagnosis. It's just something very much worth looking into.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am focusing on what the people in front of me are doing because they normal go to the classes alot so it is easy to watch them when the instructor move out of my sight. Other than that, I am trying to keep up to much to notice anything else
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I am not a Doctor, however your post indicates that you may need to speak to one though. Not trying to be snarky or rude at all. If you are feeling physically sick thinking about going to a class because of what people will think of you then you need to speak to a professional. Good luck to you. I hope you get the help you need, and are able to overcome your fears.