Quick/easy Stovetop Fish recipe

Options
kyleekay10
kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
Hi everyone!

I cooked fish last night for the first time, which was quite exciting since I am very new to this whole cooking thing (my ex did all of the cooking). Anyway, it's very simple, and I just wanted to share.

Ingredients:

-Fresh fish filet of choice -- I used Corvina. WAY high in protein!
-Salt & Pepper
-Seasonings of choice (I used oregano, cayan powder- I like spice!, garlic powder, and blackened seasoning).
- 2tbsp melted Butter or margarine (optional)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour (depending on how many filets you make)
-Olive Oil (enough to coat the pan)

Prep:

Melt butter in small container, you will use this to brush onto the fish after cooking.
Add flour and seasonings into a casserole dish, you will be coating the fish in this
Heat pan and have olive oil ready to coat the pan

Instructions:

1) Rinse fish filet(s) under cold water, pat dry
2) Add salt and pepper directly to each side of fish filet. I recommend adding seasonings directly to the fish too, for added flavor
3) Gently press each side of filet into the flour/seasoning mixture
4) Put filet in hot, olive oil coated pan. Cook about 4 minutes on each side. You will want the fish to be a little flaky and have a bit of a crispy texture.
5) Right before you remove fish from the pan, brush a swipe or two of the butter/margarine on top for added flavor.
6) You're done! Yummy fish filet with great flavor, while staying on the healthy side. :)

Enjoy!

ETA, here's a photo: ivfrix.jpg

Replies

• S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. My husband just returned from fishing trip so we're looking for good recipes. His fish are really thick though; deep sea as opposed to pond fish.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I doubt the Corvina was as thick as what he's bringing home (I added a photo to my original post for reference). Maybe you could do something similar with his fish, but bake them in the oven?
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! For every recipe I remember reading on the stovetop, it seems like they encourage dunking in egg or butter to make the coating stick. On a whim, I tried without these things, and while the crust isn't overly thick, the coating sticks just fine to raw fish. Enough coating to add flavor but not a lot of calories. I'm glad you gave it a shot without it; I definitely don't miss it.

Your fish looks delicious. :)

I'm glad you're trying to make fish. It is really healthy, and it tastes good. I also like fish in the oven. I line a cookie sheet with a large piece of aluminum foil and sprinkle my seasonings on top, then I wrap the foil down around it to make a pouch. (This keeps your pan clean(er), so the juices don't come out as easily.) This is my preferred method for larger filets. You can get a large variety of tastes by varying the cooking method and spices.

Great job on your first fish adventure. :)