How do you get your water in

Options
I know Iam not drinking enough maybe 6-7 glasses a day. My hubs drinks a gallon a day without issue. It seems to make me a little naaeous when I drink that much and Iam never thirsty so Iam always forgetting. What helps you get in your 8 plus glasses?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its 1.6l a day for a woman and thats of fluid, so all drinks count. As said the aim is to remain hydrated so just make sure the colour of your urine is the colour of light straw or lighter, if its darker then just drink.

I drink water when i workout and get through most of my requirement there.
    Food contains about 20% of your allowance as well.
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Its 1.6l a day for a woman and thats of fluid, so all drinks count. As said the aim is to remain hydrated so just make sure the colour of your urine is the colour of light straw or lighter, if its darker then just drink.

I drink water when i workout and get through most of my requirement there.
    Food contains about 20% of your allowance as well.
    Yes my pee is clear and I count all drinks. I sometimes get head aches that feel like dehydration though.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I "disguise" it as tea. And I add lemon/frozen berries to my water to make it less blah.
  • lisa12969
    lisa12969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that using the Crystal Light 0 calorie water drops helps me a lot. They taste good and I don't use very much. Just enough to add a little taste to the water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Carry a bottle around with you. I like my Brita filter bottle (water at work is nasty) I keep it on my desk. I keep a pitcher of water in the fridge.

Make it a little interesting ....throw in some lemon or lime slices. Mint or ginger?
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I bought myself an adorable water bottle from Starbucks that I use every day. Then I just drink it.

I also don't drink anything but water... all day. Its 24 oz and I fill it up in the morning, then 3 times at work, 2 times at the gym, and once before bed. That's 168 oz per day (average, sometimes its only 2 times at work or once at the gym). At first I was forcing myself to drink it all the time, and peeing constantly, but after a few weeks I don't even think about it. If I don't drink from my water bottle for an hour or so I instantly feel dizzy, weak, and tired. I'm also thirsty the moment I wake up.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have a gallon water bottle that I fill every day and add sliced up lemons/limes to for a little bit of flavor. A gallon of water spaced throughout the day isn't as much as you think...usually I drink more.

The downside? Carrying around a huge water bottle. Lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This is the ultimate first world problem. Just drink the water.
  • justjack18
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    This is the ultimate first world problem. Just drink the water.
    No need to be rude. Just looking for extra tips.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i do about 2-3 liters a day and i just make sure I drank two or more of my water bottles a day

just keep the water bottle with you and it wont be too hard
  • Virgiree21
    Virgiree21 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a 33.8 oz Smart Water bottle. I sip two of those throughout the day and get 8 cups. If I drink another bottle then 12 cups. I don't really sip it more like gugle it down like a duck. I may go a few hours and forget so I'll just chug down half the bottle if not more. I actually just did that haha. It wasn't full though but just got my 8 cups in! Might go for 12 tonight. By the way I refill the bottle. I don't buy a bunch of Smart Water bottles. But I do buy a new one every other week or so.
  • justjack18
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    I have a 33.8 oz Smart Water bottle. I sip two of those throughout the day and get 8 cups. If I drink another bottle then 12 cups. I don't really sip it more like gugle it down like a duck. I may go a few hours and forget so I'll just chug down half the bottle if not more. I actually just did that haha. It wasn't full though but just got my 8 cups in! Might go for 12 tonight. By the way I refill the bottle. I don't buy a bunch of Smart Water bottles. But I do buy a new one every other week or so.
    Thanks I hate chugging it down lol I've been adding a stevia add in and it's good tastes almost like juice so that's been helping. Just not a big drinker.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Through my mouth. :stuck_out_tongue:

I take a spill-proof, dishwasher safe 24-32 oz bottle with me everywhere I go. Contigo's Autoseal bottles are my fave. It's by my bed at night, in the car, at work, church, wherever I go, it goes with me. It's really helped me get my water in every day. I've also sort of made it a rule for myself that I have to drink at least 8 oz before my first cup of coffee in the morning - usually not a problem because I work out early before breakfast, but even on rest days, I start with water, then coffee.

And there's no hard and fast rule that 8 cups is the magic number - go by pee color. Pale yellow to clear, you're good. Darker yellow, and you should drink more. Google a chart, there are lots of them out there for color. In cooler winter months, I am fine with 7-8 cups a day, depending on how active I am, and in summer when it's hot, I can easily get 10 cups or more.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me pretty much everywhere...I drink it and when it's empty I fill it back up and repeat...

I live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...hydration is important.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Through my mouth. :stuck_out_tongue:

I take a spill-proof, dishwasher safe 24-32 oz bottle with me everywhere I go. Contigo's Autoseal bottles are my fave. It's by my bed at night, in the car, at work, church, wherever I go, it goes with me. It's really helped me get my water in every day. I've also sort of made it a rule for myself that I have to drink at least 8 oz before my first cup of coffee in the morning - usually not a problem because I work out early before breakfast, but even on rest days, I start with water, then coffee.

^^^^This! It's gotten to be such a habit that the rare times I forget my water cup I usually turn around and go back home to get it. I use a 24 oz St@rbucks cup with a built in straw.

Lots of ways to get the extra water in. I make a big pot of herbal tea in the morning and alternate cups of that with regular water or just add some to my water cup throughout the day. Sometimes I add a little of the sparkling zero calorie water. Gives it a little bit of flavor. Current favs are La Croix peach and coconut. You can fill a pitcher with water and add berries, lemons, limes, mint, even cucumber (probably not all at the same time). Let sit in fridge overnight and you have your own vitamin water. Very tasty.

I also love wine but the calories don't always fit into my meal plan. I'll drink one glass of water first and then have a glass of wine. I don't agree that all liquids are created equal and should be counted as "water". Alcohol and coffee don't get counted (for me) in my water intake. They're both diuretics and cause increased urination so your body is not able to use the fluid for bodily functions as readily. Others may disagree, but that's how I roll.

I find that once I start really hydrating my natural thirst comes back and I want to drink water all day long. It's so good for you. Your brain and internal organs really need quite a lot for optimal function and it really aids in weight loss.
  • n0ah1897
    n0ah1897 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to water (that being said I often don't get the 8 cups a day). If I have water sitting in front of me I will drink it no matter what. I've had days where I have surpassed 175 ounces of water in under 3 hours.

That being said, I got to this point by simply only drinking water. When you drink nothing but water it is pretty hard to not get the 8 cup a day goal.
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been adding different goodies into my water bottle lately and refilling it at the water cooler much more often! Goodies such as a combination of any of the following: mint, lemon, cucumber, berries, frozen pineapple. I hope you find the flavors that you like!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I get mine in the form of Coke Zero. :p
  • keepon09
    keepon09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At a dash of lemon to a bottle of water. Drink first thing in the morning. I find it easier to drink water for the rest if the day after doing that. Weird but works for me.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 maybe 3 cans of low sodium soda water in addition to my 2 cups of coffee, water at the gym, a wine or beer at dinner...and a few good old regular glasses of water throughout the day (really - whenever I am walk through the kitchen I just fill up a cup by the sink and chug it....it all adds up!