My eating is out of control. Has anyone beaten this?

Options
So, last year, I lost 10 kg it's creeping on again, yet I can't stop it. I mean like addiction can't stop it.

I know I'm an emotional eater and I am eating to get through a bad time at work (I'm looking if or a new job). I also have very little time -I get to the point of being starving then binge. I lose weight on holiday (never put it on) a is have the time to think about my food and have the time to prepare.

If it was as easy as just stop it, I would have done that months (years) ago.

How did you beat this? Please don't post t attack -you can't say anything I haven't said to myself.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need to make the decision in your head to stop and commit to doing so.
    I would think with emotional eating you can deal with the underlying issue of whats making you emotional. On top of that you need to find alternative ways to cope with stress rather than just reaching for food, so when it happens you do that i.e o for a walk , talk to a friend, read a book, go to the gym.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider seeing a therapist to get at the root of your overeating and trying to work through it.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a addiction to food myself and am also a overeater.I have had a lot of trouble controlling it lately myself.The only advice i can give you is never give up.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Some areas have mindful eating programs or Overeaters Anonymous. I think just taking the step of keeping a food diary will help. It will force you to think about what you are consuming. Also try to have satisfying snacks around so you can eat those rather than binging. Something you really like but write it all down.

I will always be an emotional eater. Rather than get down on myself for it, I need to monitor it and do damage control. I think I know how you feel. And I have thin friends who reward themselves with food. Comfort foods aren't bad. I just rely too heavily on them.

You are at least self aware which is good. Good luck.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's clear that you're in pain and that this is a hard time for you at work. Be kind to yourself.
  • gmar84
    gmar84 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are strong, you can do this. You just have to put your foot down and say "no more"!

Do not let others have the satisfaction of making you fail. Do not let yourself talk bad about yourself. Tell those negative thoughts to piss off.

Take anything negative that someone else says in stride and write off those people from your life.

Change must start from within. Do whatever you have to to find that drive. Meditate, look deep within yourself, your mind, your being, your existence. You are broken, but you can put the pieces back together. Realize that it may take time, and be ok with that. We all started somewhere, fitness is a constant effort and struggle. Embrace that concept.

Make long term goals but day to day goals as well. Some days you will succeed and others you will fail. That's okay. Failure is a normal part of the process, embrace the days that you completely messed up and don't let it drag you back down into the murky waters of despair. Wake up the next day with more determination than before. Mistakes are okay as long as you learn from them and put forth the effort to change them.

Allow yourself rewards. Treat yourself once a week to something you really enjoy. It's okay to really enjoy that meal too.

Make notes of the days or weeks that you ate well, and know that each successful day is one step closer to your goal in the grand walk of life.

You are unstoppable, don't let anyone get in your way. The human spirit is a force to be reckoned with and you, my friend, are no exception.

• Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started eating a lot more protein (100g/day), and my cravings to binge and snack at night mostly went away. YMMV, but it could help.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you, this is what I needed -lots of good advice.

Gmar84 I think I'm going to print off your reply and read it daily. Thank you.