Liquid-y foods!

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    add the ingredients into your recipe option and break down into servings-its pretty simple

did you read my post???

umm yes I did-and I gave you MY answer. Its the BEST way of being as accurate as possible. Its not ROCKET SCIENCE!

apparently it IS!

for you anyway-good luck!

whooosh!

I find you to be very rude. People are giving you THEIR suggestions as asked and your replies are argumentative. Dont bother replying to this as I will not be back to view it. I have no time for people that ask for help and then refuse to take it. Don't record your vinegar, sugar or marinades if you like-but I suspect you will be posting another thread in the future asking "why you are not losing weight"-But good luck to you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What I do when I marinate chicken is to put the marinade in the recipe builder and then weigh it before I put the chicken in, and again after. As far as the number of servings I go by 1 serving as 100 grams. So if it makes 153 grams I put in that it makes 1.53 servings. Then if I weigh it and discover that I only used 102 grams and threw out the other 51, I can just enter 1.02 servings.

better than most replies, but I still do not think that would be accurate, as what you are consuming is not an amalgamation of all the parts, which is what your method implies.

I just ignore the marinade when I make chicken breasts, but now you've added another variable to my list!

It might not be completely 100% accurate, but my results suggest to me that it's accurate enough for my purposes. Calorie counting should be as accurate as you can make it without making yourself crazy, but this is one of those things that doesn't seem worth worrying about to me. Well anyway, hope you get an answer that works for you.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    1. Why are you using sugar in a cucumber salad, and since you are, log it.

2. Bean salad and most vinegar based salads are not going to have significant calories in their dressings, but if you are using salt and/ or sugar and oils, you should log it as if you've eaten it. The vegetables are going to absorb some of that dressing and since there is no way to know how much, just assume you've eaten all of it.

But, leave that stuff out when possible. Cucumbers don't need sugar.

perhaps i was not clear, or perhaps people are not aware of what a cucumber salad is supposed to be.

it's MARINATED.

it needs the sugar.

so does bean salad.
    and salad nicoise (not the tuna kind- just the veggie kind)

they are nice, healthy salads, but they need the sugar in order to marinate properly, however you do nto consume the sugar water (or i don't)

No it does not need the sugar - it is your choice - I make all those salads - no sugar added and they come out fine....the key to marinating is the VINEGAR - not the sugar..... if you want some sweetness a bit of fresh citrus juice like freshly squeezed orange works really well... but like I said - it is your choice ;-)

Further than that don't sweat the small stuff - you win some / you lose some - and in the end of the day unless you eat masses of sugar laden dressings it will not have a massive effect on your weigh loss...
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    so maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to gauge the calorie content for foods with a lot of liquid.

and no, I don't mean soups etc, I mean foods in which you do not consume the liquid.

for example, bean salad.
    I don't eat or drink the liquid, so If i weigh it, should I weigh it after and subtract the liquid weight? Or is this already done in the calorie counters?

or even better, marinated cucumber salad.
    I make my own, with a large cucumber, onions, vinegar, and sugar.
    Now I'm sure someone will say "add it to the recipe counter"

but no, If you add it as a recipe you are counting the huge amount of calories for the 1/4 cup sugar that goes in.
    sure, some of that you consume, so you cannot log the salad as a cucumber, but surely you don't consume the entire caloric value of the sugar if you throw out all the liquid after eating the cucumber.

does this make sense to anyone?

has anyone found a solution to it?

thanks!

This is why as a rule I log the ingredients and not the end product.
    It is a lot more accurate imo to log 1 cucumber of so-and-so many grams, a certain amount of chopped onion, a spoonful or two of vinegar or lime juice, 1/4 cup of plain yogurt etc.
    If I make a lot and eat tomorrow from the same batch I put down " left overs, calories already counted ", or if it is the kind of food I can accurately weight or measure then I do that. So far for me it works for me to just post the ingredient.

thanks, but does not solve my dilemma.
    if I log the 1/4 cup sugar that goes into the marinade that's 194 calories.
    I'm not actually CONSUMING them, only SOME of them.

I want to know HOW to determine what is actually consumed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I understand your concern... I used to work in the nutrition office at a hospital. There can be a huge difference between a recipe including a marinade or liquid and the "consumed portion" of that recipe. MFP assumes that if you are eating 1/4 of the recipe, you are also consuming 1/4 of the liquid, which may not always be the case. I'm not sure I have a solution, but what comes to mind is this:

Yes enter the recipe. However, you might want to list the liquid/marinade ingredients as a separate recipe - then you can control how much you think you may have consumed in your portion along with the other vegetables. For example 1/2 cup cucumbers & 2Tbsp marinade.

I find that guessing at someone else's recipe for something I've made homemade is a total crap-shoot. I have also looked up recipes at sites like Allrecipes.com to find one very similar to mine and I will use that if they have nutritional content listed. As time consuming as it is, I have started entering all my recipes, but not uploading them to MFP. The biggest problem is I don't do a ton of repeat recipes - I like a lot of variety.

I hope this helped!

That's how I do it.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying since I have been there.
    I guessed. I know, not the best answer.
    I guess weighing or measuring after would help? But then again, if you were to measure the liquid left from the cucumber salad, some of the liquid could be from the actual cucumber and the marinade would be eaten.
    I suppose a calorie free sweetener would not work?

Complex question.

I just went with 25% of it being the consumed part.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I understand your concern... I used to work in the nutrition office at a hospital. There can be a huge difference between a recipe including a marinade or liquid and the "consumed portion" of that recipe. MFP assumes that if you are eating 1/4 of the recipe, you are also consuming 1/4 of the liquid, which may not always be the case. I'm not sure I have a solution, but what comes to mind is this:

Yes enter the recipe. However, you might want to list the liquid/marinade ingredients as a separate recipe - then you can control how much you think you may have consumed in your portion along with the other vegetables. For example 1/2 cup cucumbers & 2Tbsp marinade.

I find that guessing at someone else's recipe for something I've made homemade is a total crap-shoot. I have also looked up recipes at sites like Allrecipes.com to find one very similar to mine and I will use that if they have nutritional content listed. As time consuming as it is, I have started entering all my recipes, but not uploading them to MFP. The biggest problem is I don't do a ton of repeat recipes - I like a lot of variety.

I hope this helped!

yes, thank you.
    It's the closest thing to an answer I've received, and it's well thought out, which I appreciate!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    What I do when I marinate chicken is to put the marinade in the recipe builder and then weigh it before I put the chicken in, and again after. As far as the number of servings I go by 1 serving as 100 grams. So if it makes 153 grams I put in that it makes 1.53 servings. Then if I weigh it and discover that I only used 102 grams and threw out the other 51, I can just enter 1.02 servings.

better than most replies, but I still do not think that would be accurate, as what you are consuming is not an amalgamation of all the parts, which is what your method implies.

I just ignore the marinade when I make chicken breasts, but now you've added another variable to my list!

I really think this is the best method and what I would do, too. I doubt you are going to find a way to find out EXACTLY how much sugar vs. vinegar the cucumbers are absorbing. Also, the marinade for chicken breasts is equally as important as the marinade for your veggies. I think this is the best method for figuring it out. I really can not think of any other way! Good luck
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You're a peach. :flowerforyou:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    1. Why are you using sugar in a cucumber salad, and since you are, log it.

2. Bean salad and most vinegar based salads are not going to have significant calories in their dressings, but if you are using salt and/ or sugar and oils, you should log it as if you've eaten it. The vegetables are going to absorb some of that dressing and since there is no way to know how much, just assume you've eaten all of it.

But, leave that stuff out when possible. Cucumbers don't need sugar.

perhaps i was not clear, or perhaps people are not aware of what a cucumber salad is supposed to be.

it's MARINATED.

it needs the sugar.

so does bean salad.
    and salad nicoise (not the tuna kind- just the veggie kind)

they are nice, healthy salads, but they need the sugar in order to marinate properly, however you do nto consume the sugar water (or i don't)

No it does not need the sugar - it is your choice - I make all those salads - no sugar added and they come out fine....the key to marinating is the VINEGAR - not the sugar..... if you want some sweetness a bit of fresh citrus juice like freshly squeezed orange works really well... but like I said - it is your choice ;-)

Further than that don't sweat the small stuff - you win some / you lose some - and in the end of the day unless you eat masses of sugar laden dressings it will not have a massive effect on your weigh loss...

i bet you make meringues and baked alaska without the sugar too!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I hope this helped!

yes, thank you.
    It's the closest thing to an answer I've received, and it's well thought out, which I appreciate!

Her answer is the same method as mine. *is butthurt* She must have explained it better. :laugh:
  • TigressPat
    Options

It might not be completely 100% accurate, but my results suggest to me that it's accurate enough for my purposes. Calorie counting should be as accurate as you can make it without making yourself crazy, but this is one of those things that doesn't seem worth worrying about to me. Well anyway, hope you get an answer that works for you.

I don't usually obsess over a few calories here and there, but as i mentioned previously, as summer is here, I am likely to make lots of salads, including marinaded ones, so having no way to log those calories is likely to cause a problem.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

I hope this helped!

yes, thank you.

Her answer is the same method as mine. *is butthurt* She must have explained it better. :laugh:

Exactly what I was thinking! Actually, I honestly thought you explained it better but :laugh:
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying since I have been there.
    I guessed. I know, not the best answer.
    I guess weighing or measuring after would help? But then again, if you were to measure the liquid left from the cucumber salad, some of the liquid could be from the actual cucumber and the marinade would be eaten.
    I suppose a calorie free sweetener would not work?

Complex question.

I just went with 25% of it being the consumed part.

that's not a bad idea! I might do something like that In the end, thanks!

and no, sugar substitutes are great, but there are some things that need the real sugar or they do not turn out.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

I hope this helped!

i was just about to post to put the marinade seperate then just guesstimate how much of the liquid is actually consumed and just log a percentage of it
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities come to mind:

1. Eat the liquid.

2. Guess.

3. Just enter the food as is and don't worry about it, as it probably isn't enough to mess up your whole day.

I agree.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I love overcomplicating my food.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You're seriously over thinking this. It just isn't this complicated. Weigh the food, eat the food, ignore the juice remaining in your bowl. Or drink it. It won't matter.
  • TigressPat
    Options

I hope this helped!

yes, thank you.

lol

not my intent to butthurt you, it's simply that in terms of chicken, when i marinade it, the calorie density of the chicken far outweighs that of the marinade, so i can usually ignore the marinade ingredients (if there's something with lots fo calories I log it)

when it comes to cucumber salad, the marinade far outweighs the cucumbers both in calories and in volume.
    there's like 2 cups of liquid and maybe 1/2 of cucumber and the sugar alone is 200 calories, whereas the cucumber is like 30.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I hope this helped!

yes, thank you.

Exactly what I was thinking! Actually, I honestly thought you explained it better but :laugh:

Thanks, cookie for you (it's like flower for you, but better):

tumblr_mc4ngpyXvS1rz20dio3_250_zpsd4cd43e4.gif