How many calories should I eat to burn 2 pounds a day

Options
I currently weigh 249... how much calories should I eat??

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think you mean 2 pounds a week. MFP does a pretty good job estimating that stuff as long as you specify your lifestyle correctly (sedentary, active, etc.)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a day isn't possible. Maybe 2 pounds per week, depending on how much you have to lose.....?

~Lyssa
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I hope you mean 2 pounds a week.

Set MFP up for that amount and it'll tell you.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Eat 7000 calories less than you burn.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Eat 7000 calories less than you burn.

Or amputate something. It's usually a bit easier.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What the others said.

And if you entered your info accurately and set up reasonable goals, then MFP will tell you how much to eat. :smile:
  • adrianem2000
    adrianem2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    DO Not go below 1,000 calories a day unless your doctor has recommended you to do so. Eat every 2-3 hours, eat as many veggies as you want, keep protein in line unless your eating clean/organic meats (best chicken and fish). Fruit literally only 1-2 pieces a day the size of a clementine or small banana. You can go online and they have tons of calculators. 2 lbs a week is much unless you plan on fasting a full week. If you do your body (if not done properly) will go into fat hibernation mode and you'll gain it all back. 1-1.5 lbs a week is average for most people. If your incorporating weights and cardio it does not mean you get to eat more. Also there is no such thing as a cheat 'day' choose one meal once a week or if you can go longer do it. If your eating clean every 2-3 hours you won't crave carbs and sugar. Plus if you fall off the wagon don't worry about it just jump back on. Quantity and quality will do wonders and cut the sugar out of your diet. There are alternatives. Good luck only you can make a difference. You have to look in the mirror and be happy.
  • Jragan82
    Jragan82 Posts: 3
    Options
    keep it simple. stay in your macros and you will be fine. All this crazy diet stuff is insane. Eat clean, dont eat carbs near bed time, stay in your macro limits and add some HIIT to your execrcise program and you will easily loose 2 pounds a week!!! Exercise, nutrition and sleep are the most important keys to a healthy good looking physique.
    good luck and stay strong
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    keep protein in line unless your eating clean/organic meats (best chicken and fish . . .

There is a lot of dubious information in your post, but I'm especially curious about the organic part. What impact does the organic status of a piece of meat have upon weight loss?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DO Not go below 1,000 calories a day unless your doctor has recommended you to do so. Eat every 2-3 hours, eat as many veggies as you want, keep protein in line unless your eating clean/organic meats (best chicken and fish). Fruit literally only 1-2 pieces a day the size of a clementine or small banana. You can go online and they have tons of calculators. 2 lbs a week is much unless you plan on fasting a full week. If you do your body (if not done properly) will go into fat hibernation mode and you'll gain it all back. 1-1.5 lbs a week is average for most people. If your incorporating weights and cardio it does not mean you get to eat more. Also there is no such thing as a cheat 'day' choose one meal once a week or if you can go longer do it. If your eating clean every 2-3 hours you won't crave carbs and sugar. Plus if you fall off the wagon don't worry about it just jump back on. Quantity and quality will do wonders and cut the sugar out of your diet. There are alternatives. Good luck only you can make a difference. You have to look in the mirror and be happy.

There are a zillion issues with this. The only thing I agree with is staying above 1000 calories. The rest is all a load of hooey.

Fat hibernation is nonsense(in general; yes, I know that weight loss can be slow to start for some people but the above scenario isn't that). 2lbs/week is doable for some people with lots to lose. Eat when you want, not necessarily every 2-3 hours. Veggies aren't calorie-free and need to be counted. Fruit is fine as long as it's counted accurately.

Cut back on sugar if you want (I did because I would rather spend calories on other stuff but today I had two Mountain Dews and some chocolate and hey...it doesn't matter a bit since I stayed just under my goal!).

And if you're gonna tell me I don't get to eat more after running 4 miles, I'm gonna call you a liar. I run my tail off and eat back my calories and....I've lost 13 pounds since January 1.

If your suggestions worked for you, that's great. But it's not necessary for everyone else.

~Lyssa
  • adrianem2000
    adrianem2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    keep protein in line unless your eating clean/organic meats (best chicken and fish . . .

There is a lot of dubious information in your post, but I'm especially curious about the organic part. What impact does the organic status of a piece of meat have upon weight loss?

Dubious? It not only comes from doctors, nutritionists and every where you research online. Eating clean whether organic or not (individual choice) not everyone has to agree. So no impact but I am sure you realize that doing your own homework and research. Suggestion, take it or leave it is up to the individual. Not everything works the same for everybody. Pretentious if an individual believes so. I was just offering information I have been given from doctors, nutritionists, doing this for 10 years of my life. I have taken opinions and advice from others and made my own choices which have helped me.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Keep it simple OP

Just fill in here the MFP settings

1. Start weighing ALL your solid food and measure the liquids
    2. Log everything honestly
    3. Eat less calories than you burn
    4. when possible start some exercising ( not needed for weight loss but you get fitter and can lose your weight faster) And you can eat 25 to 50% back of the burned calories if you want/need.
    5. try to chose healthier foods like fruit and veggies But when no medical issues dont cut out any foods'. Just eat everything but make it fit your calorie allowance. So yes i eat pizza or ice cream. But ones in a while. Portion control and moderation is the key.
    6. Drink 2 to 3 liter water
    7. take enough protein ( helps for a lot of people against being hungry)

And you will lose weight this way.

I lost 75 pounds since October 2014 and doing great. It really is very simple as long as you weigh all your food and keep the calories intake lower than out.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Use mfp to accurately count how many calories go into your body. Over time t, eat 7000 calories less than you burn (find out your TDEE/TEE). It will take you t to lose 2lb. Example: eat 500 cals under your TDEE and it will take you 7000/500 days = 14 days. Therefore at a 500cal/day deficit you will lose 2lb in 2 weeks. The rate is up to you, but the higher the deficit the less sustainable it is.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Put your stats into MFP, set your goal, and then eat up to your calorie goal. Nothing else is necessary for losing weight.

If you exercise, eat around half of those calories back. If you struggle with hunger, try adding more protein and veggies to fill you up. Find ways to fit in treats so you don't feel deprived. And if you want more detail, read the "Sexypants" sticky at the top of the Getting Started. Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Dubious? It not only comes from doctors, nutritionists and every where you research online. Eating clean whether organic or not (individual choice) not everyone has to agree. So no impact but I am sure you realize that doing your own homework and research. Suggestion, take it or leave it is up to the individual. Not everything works the same for everybody. Pretentious if an individual believes so. I was just offering information I have been given from doctors, nutritionists, doing this for 10 years of my life. I have taken opinions and advice from others and made my own choices which have helped me.

I pretty much agree with janejellyroll. The main thing is to eat less than you burn. At 249 lbs, it isn't possible to lose 2lbs a day through diet alone. 2lbs a week is possible. Professional athletes are the only people I know of who burn more than 7000 calories per day, but I don't think a person could do that and not eat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

So where did you get the information about keeping protein "in line" unless you are choosing organic meat from? What is the source for the organic status of a meat having any impact on weight loss?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So much garbage posted in this thread.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a boxer. And when I have to cut weight to get into a lower weight class in short notice. I lower my intake to 500 calories a day and 3 hours of exercise throughout the day. I run early morning, and mid day, if I don't feel like running again I walk an extra mile. And drink 8 oz of water with 2tsp lemon juice first thing in the morning, it really helps to start you metabolism and cleanse any left over toxins front the previous day. I can usually drop 10lbs in a week when I do this. It isn't the healthiest way, but it is the fastest. And once I reach my weight goal, I eat more, I'm just sure to maintain my weight. Your main thing to remember is that you HAVE to burn more calories than you take in, that's the best most garunteed way of losing and reaching your goals. Good luck! You can do it!

Why, if you know it is not the healthiest way, do you advice it to somebody else?

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm a boxer. And when I have to cut weight to get into a lower weight class in short notice. I lower my intake to 500 calories a day and 3 hours of exercise throughout the day. I run early morning, and mid day, if I don't feel like running again I walk an extra mile. And drink 8 oz of water with 2tsp lemon juice first thing in the morning, it really helps to start you metabolism and cleanse any left over toxins front the previous day. I can usually drop 10lbs in a week when I do this. It isn't the healthiest way, but it is the fastest. And once I reach my weight goal, I eat more, I'm just sure to maintain my weight. Your main thing to remember is that you HAVE to burn more calories than you take in, that's the best most garunteed way of losing and reaching your goals. Good luck! You can do it!

So you're recommending that someone who is 249 pounds cut her calories to 500 a day and run twice a day . . . for how long exactly?

Also, I would usually tell someone that if their organs are functioning they don't need to drink anything to eliminate toxins, but if you're regularly eating 500 calories a day, you may actually need to assist your organs. Not sure lemon will do the trick, but at least it is something.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Move enough daily so you burn enough calories in total to make a 1000 cal deficit daily a reasonable goal.

Probably need to burn 2500 - 3000 calories daily, and then eat 1500 - 2000 to make that happen.

That will give you 2 lbs weekly, of hopefully just fat weight. Do strength training to make sure.
    Do bunches of cardio if you want it to include muscle mass.

If you really want 2 lbs daily, get out the saw and start cutting your limbs off little by little.
    That's just as stressful to your body as trying to diet off 2 lbs daily.