Best way to track actual calories burned gym equipment?

Options
What's the best way to actually get good calories burned on cardio equipment, such as treadmills and ellipticals,? I find that the treadmills at my gym are pretty inaccurate, but most programs can't take incline into account. How can I get a good, accurate count?

Replies

• Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to get a more accurate calorie count is to get one of those watch like things that tracks the amount of calories that you expend. Some are not very accurate but I think you can find one that would give you a much better count than the machine itself. Also, if you are lifting this will allow you to track your calories during those workouts as well.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to get a more accurate calorie count is to get one of those watch like things that tracks the amount of calories that you expend. Some are not very accurate but I think you can find one that would give you a much better count than the machine itself. Also, if you are lifting this will allow you to track your calories during those workouts as well.
    ^ This
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have found that gym equipment and even MFP can be anywhere from 50 - 100 calories off on my workouts if I use just the numbers given by the equipment.
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, and feel that I am getting a more accurate number of calories burned on my workouts using it. Also use this while lifting weights and have never had a problem.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a good heart rate monitor
    2. Do some basic math.

Based on your current body weight, your heart rate sustained over time will tell you how much work you actually did.

The equation is

Men: C/min = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x HR + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184
    Women: C/min = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184

or you can go here: http://www.team-pinnacle.org/local-loops/calories_from_hr.php