How to conquer hunger pains

Options
2»

Replies

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I hate that so many people think that 1200 calories is some sort of magic number. If you are hungry your body is telling you it needs more fuel. When your car is running out of gas and it starts sputtering and the low fuel light comes on you don't expect it to just keep on going. Fuel your body properly and it will pay off.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Did you set your goal to 2 lbs per week? That is very aggressive. Change your goal to 1 lb per week, you will get more calories to eat and will still lose weight! Also, if you aren't doing so already, eat back some of your exercise calories. Being a little hungry every once in awhile is no big deal, but you don't have to struggle and be miserable to lose the weight. :drinker:

This!

I'm getting closer to my gw. I dont ever go hungry. I'm 5 foot 2, 42 year old female and lost 1 %bf in the last 3 & 1/2 weeks eating a gross weekly average of 2200 calories!! I exercise vigorously 3 times a week & lift 2 days a week. 2 rest days a week. You don't have to go hungry!! Or kill youself with exercise/activity to be able to achieve it.

Also as I lose more and the scale goes down, i keep upping my calories and continue to lose!
  • 626Ashley
    626Ashley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To answer some questions:

I am young, 27, and I am 5'2. Apparently I'm supposed to weigh 115 pounds or something. :/ I'm a long way off from that so I put in a 2 lbs per week weight loss goal in order to make some progress. This is week 2 and I have a hard time meeting my 1200 goal. I was wondering how anyone manages with so few calories. My problem is that I LOVE food and I like feeling full all the time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I am young, 27, and I am 5'2. Apparently I'm supposed to weigh 115 pounds or something. :/ I'm a long way off from that so I put in a 2 lbs per week weight loss goal in order to make some progress. This is week 2 and I have a hard time meeting my 1200 goal. I was wondering how anyone manages with so few calories. My problem is that I LOVE food and I like feeling full all the time.

Set your goal to 1lb/week and eat more calories.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got around the initial hunger pains by drinking a lot of water and hot tea. Good luck and adjust if you need to!

I also go to the gym and earn a boat load of exercise calories. :)
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I lost 30 pounds on 1200 per day and I'm 5'3". It can be done - it does take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to eating only 1200. You can power through and get past it. Eventually you won't feel as hungry all the time. THAT BEING SAID - I don't recommend doing 1200. I gained back about 10 pounds last year and I'm now taking it back off at 1450 per day, I work out almost every day and I usually eat back most of my exercise calories. I would say to up your caloric intake like other people have recommended, at least at first. Try 1500, then drop down little bit each week. YOU WILL STILL LOSE THE WEIGHT, just not as quickly. The way I managed 1200 is by eating a small breakfast (oatmeal or cereal, or boiled egg and turkey bacon, or an eggo and a boiled egg), lunch around 300 calories (a lot of lean cuisine), a couple of snacks around 100 each, and dinner was usually a salad and grilled chicken or a lettuce wrapped burger with fruit or soup, maybe pasta and veggies. The difference at 1450 vs 1200 is I have a bun on my burger, or bit of a larger lunch or an extra snack. It helps keep me feeling satisfied. Working out to eat helps also. Good luck, you can do it!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello is 40 calories for the entire box. :p

Pickles are pretty low-calorie too. Just some suggestions that can give you bigger quantities of food for low calories.

I find it too restrictive to do 1200 calories, though, so i went for a higher calorie limit with lower weight loss per week. Good luck, do what suits you best and what you can stick with.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't much. How do you all get by? I feel like I'm being punished.

eat some more calories in protein. Protein keeps you full for a long time.

25g protein = 100 calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for quite a while and I never got used to it. It was a continuous struggle.
    I'm 5"8 and 140lbs, so I don't know how much of a difference that made, as I see most women here who do fine on 1200 are much shorter than me.
  • 626Ashley
    626Ashley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello is 40 calories for the entire box. :p

Pickles are pretty low-calorie too. Just some suggestions that can give you bigger quantities of food for low calories.

I find it too restrictive to do 1200 calories, though, so i went for a higher calorie limit with lower weight loss per week. Good luck, do what suits you best and what you can stick with.
    I will be buying jello! :smiley:

• stelper
    stelper Posts: 19
    Options
    You definitely need to increase your calories a bit. You could also do cardio and eat back the calories you burned so you don't feel as deprived.