42 yo mom with finally normal BMI....but "squishy" :-)

Options
Over the past 2 years, since I turned 40 (now 42), I have lost about 30 lbs. During this time I put some weight back on and then lost it again plus some more.
Trouble is much of this weight loss was unintentional, as a result of some health scares ( I suffer form health anxiety and any small issue is "guilty" and anxiety-provoking until proven "innocent").

I now happened upon a normal weight (5'7", 157 lbs) after being somewhat overweight for years and my goal now is to maintain what I lost for the long term and maybe even lose 10 more lbs and get to 147 or so).

However, another big goal is to tone up.
My children tell me I am so "soft and squishy" (see profile picture) and they think this is a compliment :-)); but as much as they love cuddling up with me because I am "squishy" :smiley: ...I would much rather gain some muscle tone and be a whole lot less "squishy".

I have never had good muscle tone and have always had the tendency to be puffy - but now, after this weight loss, I am downright soft and flabby.
This is especially the case in the triceps area (I don't think I have any actual triceps, really, just loose flesh and skin) and the inner upper thighs.

I know I need to lift weights but this is easier said than done.

I have noticed the following about lifting weights:

1. I pretty much hate it, probably because I have poor muscle tone and it doesn't come easy at all to me.
I prefer cardio by far (running, eliptical, etc) - but I know I need weights way more that I need cardio activity right now.

2. Any exercise involving the triceps is very difficult for me to do.

3. I can't motivate myself to do enough weight lifting, especially when the going gets tough. When I get there, I am very tempted to put the weights down and give up.

What would you recommend, under the circumstances and given my body type - which hopefully you can get an idea about by looking at the profile picture.

Should I get a personal trainer?

Does a body like mine even have any chance of getting visibly toned in its early 40's?

What types of weight lifting should I do and how long it would take to see results?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As far as being able to get toned in your 40s...absolutely!! I'm currently a bit squishier than my profile pic which was almost two years ago but I was 42 then. I deal with loose skin too, especially my thighs.
    I can't seem to friend request on my phone tonight but if you want to friend me we can chat more tomorrow about lifting and getting started. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd follow any of the standard, full-body strength training programs frequently mentioned here, like NROLFW or Stronglifts. Or hire a trainer if you're not committed enough to do it yourself. Eating the right number of calories to burn the fat - that's something you'll have to do yourself.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been squishy all my life! I think I just got the poor end of the stick with regards to genetics: poor muscles and poor lungs. But I do like strength training even though progress is much slower than with other people. Just yesterday I decided to go down with overhead press weight because I simply couldn't do 17.5kg in good form. 15kg worked well. I'll probably duct-tape a small bag of pasta to the bar next time as I can only add 2.5kg in weights, which clearly is too much for me. I do get harder muscles though, which is nice.

Btw, I just turned 41 :blush: Yes, it's possible.
    I kind of follow the Stronglifts 5x5 programme, and I do bodyweight workouts at home on other days of the week. Mind you, after 8 months or so I still can't do a proper pushup without resting on my knees, but I can do other things I never thought possible.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Over the past 2 years, since I turned 40 (now 42), I have lost about 30 lbs. During this time I put some weight back on and then lost it again plus some more.
    Trouble is much of this weight loss was unintentional, as a result of some health scares ( I suffer form health anxiety and any small issue is "guilty" and anxiety-provoking until proven "innocent").

I now happened upon a normal weight (5'7", 157 lbs) after being somewhat overweight for years and my goal now is to maintain what I lost for the long term and maybe even lose 10 more lbs and get to 147 or so).

However, another big goal is to tone up.
    My children tell me I am so "soft and squishy" (see profile picture) and they think this is a compliment :-)); but as much as they love cuddling up with me because I am "squishy" :smiley: ...I would much rather gain some muscle tone and be a whole lot less "squishy".

I have never had good muscle tone and have always had the tendency to be puffy - but now, after this weight loss, I am downright soft and flabby.
    This is especially the case in the triceps area (I don't think I have any actual triceps, really, just loose flesh and skin) and the inner upper thighs.

I know I need to lift weights but this is easier said than done.

I have noticed the following about lifting weights:

1. I pretty much hate it, probably because I have poor muscle tone and it doesn't come easy at all to me.
    I prefer cardio by far (running, eliptical, etc) - but I know I need weights way more that I need cardio activity right now.

2. Any exercise involving the triceps is very difficult for me to do.

3. I can't motivate myself to do enough weight lifting, especially when the going gets tough. When I get there, I am very tempted to put the weights down and give up.

What would you recommend, under the circumstances and given my body type - which hopefully you can get an idea about by looking at the profile picture.

Should I get a personal trainer?

Does a body like mine even have any chance of getting visibly toned in its early 40's?

What types of weight lifting should I do and how long it would take to see results?

Thank you so much!

Of course it does...you just need to find a way to commit ...have you thought about following one of the existing programmes or getting a trainer to show you good form

As for age ..doesn't matter, it's the effort and consistency you put in that does

I'm sure you've seen all the recommendations: nerdfitness.com has a beginners bodyweight programme that's good for home, stronglifts5x5.com has a great compound lift programme, books like strong curves or NROLFW

Results timeline depends ...I was definitely stronger in a matter of weeks, looked better in a matter of months ...but that's a combination of calorie defecit and couch-potato to committed exerciser
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not that different from you, 5' 7, 43.5, start weight here was 169 and current weight is 132. I am still a bit squishy! Still have a muffin top, and some excess skin from my 2nd pregnancy where my belly grew straight out (yes, I looked hilarious!). I did some weights all along as I lost the weight over a 6 month period, and have been doing more weights for about a month now trying to lose fat and gain muscle. I can see my biceps now, but abs are a ways away, honestly.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am the same, 42, 5'5 and a fairly squishy 142 lbs. i am going to add all of you! I have no idea about how to start with weights though I would love to! :-)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any body weight exercises and/or TRX. May be a good start since you don't seem to care for weights now. Maybe that will change after you increase your strength.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Great answers above. A dozen awesome beginner programs are out there. It is never too late.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Have you tried any body weight exercises and/or TRX. May be a good start since you don't seem to care for weights now. Maybe that will change after you increase your strength.

Yeah, came in to post the same thing. I enjoy weights and will stick with them. But if you don't enjoy it, there are alternatives for resistance training. There was a lengthy thread in the Success forum a while back from a woman who just didn't enjoy lifting weights. She instead decided to focus on bodyweight exercises and loved it (and had great results). It's a lengthy thread and some of the pictures may be dead at this point, but scattered throughout that thread are references to various sorts of bodyweight programs that you might find useful. Here's the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1428309/what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you/p1

• WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i was just going to say - get a trainer if you can afford it! sounds like you just need the motivation and confidence and a trainer can get the ball rolling.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 39 and 40 in these photos, and working my way to get back there after a (non-related to lifting) injury and I'm now almost 43. I don't particularly enjoy the act of lifting. I much prefer running. But I love the results. First pic was after I lost 25 pounds and was happy with the results, just before I started lifting.

vpjdg98at06s.jpg
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and 40 in these photos, and working my way to get back there after a (non-related to lifting) injury and I'm now almost 43. I don't particularly enjoy the act of lifting. I much prefer running. But I love the results. First pic was after I lost 25 pounds and was happy with the results, just before I started lifting.

vpjdg98at06s.jpg

This is awesome, I wish there was a like button!

• sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you would like to lose around 10 more pounds. If you do that along with some resistance training, those muscles that you already have (really, you do, even triceps!) should start peaking through. And yes, at 42 you can absolutely have a leaner look.

As far as your dislike for lifting weights, you haven't said what you've tried. There are many different programs using different things, like bodyweight programs, dumbbells, barbell, and gym machines. Since you say you don't like it, I guess the trick will be to find the least objectionable approach.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You need to be consistent with your exercise. You need to workout for at least 30 minutes per day 4-5 days/week.
    I highly recommend Jillian Michaels Body Revolution or Ripped in 30 or 30 day shred.
    Most of the time you re using your own body weight and not physical weights.

Also, ignore the scale. It does you no good. Yes you weigh 157lbs. But do you weight 157 lbs of 25+% body fat or 157 lbs or 21%-24% body fat.
    If you don't want to be soft and squishy, then make a commitment to be lean and firm.
    Perhaps get a trainer to get you into a program or get a 1 month long video (Ripped in 30 or Shred) or 90 day program (Body revolution).
    No matter what you do… if you are not committed, nothing will work.
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find working out in group classes to be more motivating than doing it on my own. And I'm completely unmotivated by do-it-by-yourself-at-home packaged programs. Check our your local Y or gym class schedule - should cost a lot less than a personal trainer.

Check out pilates too - great toning work.

And yes, firmer in your 40s is absolutely possible. I'm 48, have had 3 children including twins. I started martial arts right around 40 -- with my kids.

Just try to find something you'll enjoy. If you hate it, you'll never do it.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options

What are body weight exercises?
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Yeah, came in to post the same thing. I enjoy weights and will stick with them. But if you don't enjoy it, there are alternatives for resistance training. There was a lengthy thread in the Success forum a while back from a woman who just didn't enjoy lifting weights. She instead decided to focus on bodyweight exercises and loved it (and had great results). It's a lengthy thread and some of the pictures may be dead at this point, but scattered throughout that thread are references to various sorts of bodyweight programs that you might find useful. Here's the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1428309/what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you/p1

Thank you, Cortelli! I will look into it for sure - as cardio only will no longer do at this age, with my level of squishiness. :-)
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options

vpjdg98at06s.jpg

Officially gorgeous at almost 43. :-)

Now...I never had those kind of legs, not even when I was 16...so I would never dream of getting there now, but any improvement in body tone will help.
    I am especially interested in doing something about those bat wings under my triceps that are starting to form. :-(
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Paolinat wrote: »
    No matter what you do… if you are not committed, nothing will work.

Yes...this is pretty clear.

Should the 4-5 times a week exercise include weights only or also some cardio?

I heard some people switch to weights only for a while.

I definitely need to start by reading a book/program about weight lifting/toning as I never read one.

• cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned body weight exercies. That's an excellent choice since you dislike weights. Dips work great for triceps and you can slowly build your endurance. My body has never been hard, toned or lean either but since I started lifting I've made progress. There's always a way to modify and make it work for you. May I suggest a free internet option on YouTube? It's called fitnessblender and you can get everything you imagined including yoga, bodyweight exercises and tons of cardio. All different lengths, levels, etc.