Walkers/runners

Options
Bye bye snow! Now here comes the rain.
I am new to walking for exercise. I started a trail that is hilly the 1st of the year. It rained yesterday, so I went to an indoor track, which was ok, but I didn't burn nearly as much calories.

Please give me suggestions for rainy days. Any special gear? Fyi-I can't run on concrete because my shins hurt. The trail I do is dirt/gravel, so it gets pretty muddy.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A dedicated mud towel to wipe down your legs afterwards? A pair of shoes you sacrifice to the mud? A partner, roommate, or family that won't mind you tracking in more mud than the dog? :)

Work on stretching your calves, and maybe get fitted for a better pair of shoes at a running store. You can (and should) get yourself to a point where running on concrete doesn't make your shins hurt. Even if you choose not to, that's a sign that something in your running form is putting too much stress on your tibia (bone), which could have bad results down the road.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    shins shouldn't hurt if you have your toes on the edge of a step and raise and lower yourself 3 sets of ten. When I started doing this before and after my run/walk I quit having the shin pains. Good Luck
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A high school track is a good alternative in the rain.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    shins shouldn't hurt if you have your toes on the edge of a step and raise and lower yourself 3 sets of ten. When I started doing this before and after my run/walk I quit having the shin pains. Good Luck

Thanks. I will give this a try.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    altogirl2 wrote: »

Was fitted at New Balance store. However, my cheap memory foam shoes have been better than the NB (better meaning my shins don't hurt).
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options

Haven't though about that. They should be comparable to an indoor track, huh? I need something to absorb some of the shock right now.
    I walk for about 10m before I start my jog to warm up. I was told I should use a heating pad. I haven't tried any other treatments for my shins, since the surface of the trail seemed to do the trick. However, I should since the trail won't always be an option.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wear all gear that wicks moisture away. Better even if it repels/resists moisture from outside (most do anyway). Wear running shoes, many are designed to not be giant sponges.

Endure and enjoy the rain.

Run along a course where you can duck for cover in the event the weather turns nasty and there is hail. Don't try to run in a hailstorm for any longer than you need to get the heck out of it.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »

Was fitted at New Balance store. However, my cheap memory foam shoes have been better than the NB (better meaning my shins don't hurt).

You said New Balance store? Go to a running shoe store that has all different brands. NB may not be the right shoe for you even though there are all different styles of NB.

Do some cross training - that will help with the strength in your shins/calves.