Weight Gain due to hormones and birth control medication

Options

Hello! I used MFP a few years ago to lose weight with success. I am back because my doctor has put me on a birth control medication to regulate my hormones and it has caused me to gain 15 lbs in the last 3 months. I have been counting my calories, logging my food and exercising everyday this week and I still gained a pound. I saw my family doctor yesterday and she advised that there really isn't anything that can be done about weight gain due to hormone meds. She told me that she's known women who are on these meds and have run a marathon and still gain weight.

I have called my doctor for the 2nd time asking him to change my medication but in the mean time I would like to hear from any of you that have been through this and hear any advice that you might bestow.

I really appreciate any advice, experience or encouragement you can give.

Have a lovely day,

Julie

Replies

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi, just so you know birth control doesn't cause weight gain, you do. Higher eostrogen can cause a bigger appetite and water retention, which is what your 1lb gain could be.

However, if you're exercising and sticking to your calories then I wouldn't worry. If after a few weeks you are still gaining then you are probably eating too much.
  • kateraichu
    kateraichu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my doctor told me that weight gain from BC is generally from an increased appetite. I experienced this at first, but I started BC when I was 16 due to medical reasons. Now I am 24. My advice is to not worry—it does level out at some point, and your body will get used to it and return to normal. My appetite definitely returned to its previous state and I didn't gain any more due to the BC after a few months to a year (it's hard to remember exactly.) But don't lose hope! And the above poster is correct in that water retention is unfortunately a big factor. Just keep at it and your body will adjust.