From 5k to 10k?

Options
I have run several 5ks, and have the next one scheduled in mid-April. My time has improved with each race (my first time was 39:07). In January, my primary care doctor told me his New Year's resolution for me was to run a 10k before the end of 2015. I balked at him, feeling like that was setting my aim too high.

Then, last night as I was running, I realized I think I could run a 10k, I feel mentally up for the training and the challenge. So I looked up a race and found one that appeals to me in mid-September.

My question is, should i find one later in the year, or is April - September enough time to train up from 5k running to 10k running? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Small correction, my first time was 39:34
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    April through September is more than enough time to prepare.

Hal Higdon will get you there in 8 weeks.

http://halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    5 months is more than enough time to prepare. I went from my first 5k to 10k trail race in just a few months. Once you get to running on a regular basis turning up the miles isn't difficult. just remember, it is all about finishing and not about time on your first 10k. Good luck!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You can do it with just a few weeks training. April should be no problem at all.
  • theodosiou23
    theodosiou23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to do that no problem. I find using the apps like couch to 10k helps build up my distance gradually. There are some you can complete in 8 weeks! I wouldn't concentrate on your time too much for now, just try and complete the distance. Once you can do that then you can try to knock down your time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, you can do it. I'll second the Hal Higdon program. I did it last year. I doubled it (did each week 2x) because I didn't have a race planned (just wanted to up my distance) and really liked it.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Do it!! I am starting Hal's plan next week and I will probably repeat some of the weeks. I have a 5k on Sunday and my 10k is on June 7th.
  • starbucktigh
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone! I looked at the Hal Higdon program, and that seems very doable. I think I'll start it next week!
  • starbucktigh
    Options
    I started this on Monday, and so far, so good!