How the heck do I add weight lifting calories to my chart?

Options
valkc1953
valkc1953 Posts: 32 Member
I am sort of new. I recently started lifting small weights to get ready for the seasonal clean up on my lawn. That and to loss weight, hopefully. I added my exercises, sets, reps, wt. the whole nine yards but now I'm stumped on how to give a calorie count to any of them. HELP!

Replies

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Don't add them back. Most calculations are not close to accurate. Just consider it extra burn that may cover any slips during the day.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories Burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns from resistance exercise is very individual and difficult to measure. There are some estimates if you enter it into the cardio section, but most people enter 1calorie or dont bother. Resustance training in a weight loss program is principally about retaining/ minimising muscle loss rather than losing weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's an option for Strength Training under Cardio. And you should add at least some of those calories back! You don't get a lot for it, but eating all those calories back has not slowed down my weight loss at all.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started wearing a HRM and found that the actual calories burned are far less than the estimate on MFP. For instance, 7 miles stationary bike + 20 minutes strength is only 170 calories for me. sad, but true.
  • valkc1953
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. However I did post my weight lifting exercises in the strength training portion & then added reps, sets, wt. but it still won't post to my profile page as the walking exercises do. I'm I still doing something wrong?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think most people really just wind up throwing up their hands and going "Fine, DON'T give me weightlifting calories, then!" MFP is good for many things, but logging exercise isn't one of them. If you really want to keep track, you'll need an app designed for that purpose. I log my lifting on Jefit and Fitocracy.

Note that neither of those will give you calorie estimates either. My Fitbit does, but I just ignore them, and I'm in the gym squatting my body weight and deadlifting half again that amount.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    valkc1953 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. However I did post my weight lifting exercises in the strength training portion & then added reps, sets, wt. but it still won't post to my profile page as the walking exercises do. I'm I still doing something wrong?

Please read my posting above. It provides instructions and a graphic on how to add strength training to your Cardiovascular list in order to get an estimate for Calories burned. Sigh.......
  • valkc1953
    Options
    CyberTone, I did read your instructions, both of them. However, I do not understand where the checkmark or the "Add exercise to Diary" site is and if I even have them. Not all of us are computer genius'. I may need a little extra input but apparently you find that an issue. I did not appreciate your "Sigh......" at the end of that comment. If you can not offer helpful advice without sarcasm I would suggest you don't offer advice at all. Nuff Said!
  • valkc1953
    Options
    Larissa, Thank You! I will check both of those apps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    CyberTone, I did read your instructions, both of them. However, I do not understand where the checkmark or the "Add exercise to Diary" site is and if I even have them. Not all of us are computer genius'. I may need a little extra input but apparently you find that an issue. I did not appreciate your "Sigh......" at the end of that comment. If you can not offer helpful advice without sarcasm I would suggest you don't offer advice at all. Nuff Said!

wow... the guy detailed how to do what you want to do, and you throw it back in his face...

good luck around here.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Do a search for strength training the same way and in the same place you enter your exercise for walking, in the cardiovascular section.

The strength training section is just to keep track of your weights and reps. It has nothing to do with the calories burned.
  • redskiednight
    redskiednight Posts: 32 Member
    Options

If you cannot take helpful advice without being snarky I would suggest you don't ask for advice at all. Nuff said!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

wow... the guy detailed how to do what you want to do, and you throw it back in his face...

good luck around here.

to the OP...cybertone was being very helpful as he is with many new folks with questions. Probably not a good idea to knock the help that's given. If you feel that was sarcasm and unhelpful I wonder then if this might be the first thread you've posted on here on MFP?

Please consider be kind and accept the help given it really helps the board be a better place if appreciation is shown.

There might be a time you're really needing help and advice and won't receive a response because of lack of appreciation in the past. Ppl remember... Attitude is everything here, frankly that works for off the forums as well.

Cybertone gave very detailed helpful instructions. Also have you checked out all the sticky notes on the Intro section? Many of your questions you've asked and will be asking are already answered by others and by MFP itself.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Perhaps not taking time to fully read the helpful responses given is what's causing you issues? and no this not snark or sacrcasm, it's helpful advice that you may want to tuck in your pocket so you can survive the boards when others try and help out when you're stuck. neutral_face:

Oh and welcome to mfp?