Greek yogurt

Options
msstatz
msstatz Posts: 163 Member
I am obsessed with Greek yogurt and have been thinking about making my own. Has anyone made their own? How did it turn out? How did it taste?

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have made my own yogurt before, but never Greek yogurt. I am really interested in hearing how your turns out.
    (I really liked my homemade non-Greek yogurt.)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My fiance makes labneh which is the Lebanese version of Greek yogurt. It turns out super yummy! Just strain it in cheese cloth hung over a bowl in the fridge. I'll see if I can get his recipe later tonight when he gets home.
  • msstatz
    Options
    I have made my own yogurt before, but never Greek yogurt. I am really interested in hearing how your turns out.
    (I really liked my homemade non-Greek yogurt.)

I will let you know how it turns out if I decide to try making it.
  • msstatz
    Options
    My fiance makes labneh which is the Lebanese version of Greek yogurt. It turns out super yummy! Just strain it in cheese cloth hung over a bowl in the fridge. I'll see if I can get his recipe later tonight when he gets home.

That would be awesome if he would be willing to share his recipe. Thanks so much!
  • msstatz
    Options
    I'm in the process of making it now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • suereeve123
    Options
    buy an easiyo kit make my own myself for a while greek, flavoured ,sweetened and none sweetened it only take 12hour to set then will keep in your fridge for 2 weeks all you need is boiling water
  • msstatz
    Options
    The yogurt worked. Any idea how to calculate calories? Would I just divide the number of servings by the total number of calories in the milk I put in it?
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The yogurt worked. Any idea how to calculate calories? Would I just divide the number of servings by the total number of calories in the milk I put in it?

I don't think that would work, considering the whey that soaked out of it... I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that. Personally, I'd probably just go with whatever seems to be the norm for yogurt made with whatever % milkfat milk you used...?
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I guess that would depend on how you strain it? I'm not sure the whey is all strained out, as greek yogurt still has a respectable amount of whey in it...probably like most dairy (80/20 caesin/whey). Running it through a cheese cloth will basically push out moisture, concentrating acidity, but should not change macros almost at all. At most maybe take out like 2-3g of protein per 6oz yield?

That's my best guess at least.
  • chesney137
    Options
    I have made it before. It's ok. It comes out a little grainier than what you buy in the store. I can also tell you, for what you will pay for a 32 oz. container of Chobani plain yogurt, you are going to spend almost the same amount in buying a gallon of milk, plus the extra time it takes to make it. :) It was fun to try and make it, but I found that the cost and time to make it didn't outweigh the cost of the product in store. I live in Texas and the Chobani 32 oz. is only $4.98 at H-E-B. :)