Weights loss: lifting weights & no cardio

Options
mskelzz
mskelzz Posts: 7
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I hate cardio. I find it really boring and makes me lose motivation!
Is it possible to lose Weight by lifting weight at the gym including the machines not just free weights and no cardio aswell as a clean diet.

When I say clean. I mean no processed food or takeaways or cakes or biscuits. Mainly fish, chicken , veg patatoes and pasta and rice

Daily calorie in take of 1200

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, I think you're going to need more than 1200 calories. You can lose weight with just lifting. I've done it, but a good program incorporates both. You don't have to do a lot of cardio. I do it because it's good for my heart and allows me to eat a little more.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All that's required to lose is a deficit. Lifting while losing will help retain muscle mass.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. As long as you're eating less than you burn, that's all that matters. Do the exercises that you enjoy.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do is volleyball on Sunday nights. If you're eating 1200 calories, you'll lose weight regardless of how "clean" the food is, or what kind of exercise you do.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has nothing to do with weight loss. Eat in a deficit to lose weight, but if you're weight training I'd suggest working out your macros and trying to get the most benefit from your training by timing some of your food intake (more carbs/protein postWO for example).... Make nutritious choices most of the time but don't be afraid to include "fun food" sometimes, and make sure you're getting sufficient good Fats for your health. If you're dieting I'd suggest swapping some of the rice and pasta for less carb dense options (ie, fruit and vegetables) to increase volume and get more nutrients.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a cardio kind of guy. an endurance junkie (sup ladies) in the making.

but it doesn't matter if you lift or run, what and how much you eat is how you'll lose weight.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm basically doing the same thing. Recently lowered my calorie goal from 1,500 to 1,300, but in my head aiming for 1,200, which I found out is doable if you eat the right foods. (Mostly lean meat and vegetables.) I also started going to the gym again but this time I'm not really worried about cardio. Like you, I find it boring and time consuming. I just lift weights for 20-30 minutes and call it a day. But I do a lot of walking, which counts as light cardio. And I go to yoga classes a few times a week, to keep me flexible and make sure I don't injure myself. If you don't do yoga classes, PLEASE STRETCH before and/or after your workouts, to make sure you don't end up with problems. And learn HOW to stretch properly to make sure you're actually getting good stretch.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting and building muscle 1200 is going to be low. Honestly 1200 is the lowest I would ever recommend anyone going. You will also want to focus more on your measurements and body fat % that just the number on the scale.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Working with the free weights will do more for you than the machines -- check out your heart rate between lifts -- you are doing cardio when you are lifting, too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    In regards to "clean eating", interesting perspective on that here: How Clean Eating Made Me Fat, But Ice Cream And Subway Got Me Lean

And I agree with those who have said that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, and to choose workouts that you enjoy. Also agree that if you are lifting, 1200 cals is probably not going to be enough fuel for you.

According to your ticker, you want to lose around 20 lbs - the best way to lose the fat and preserve the lean muscle is with a small calorie deficit, and keep hitting those weights. Make sure you're getting good protein as well.
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, as long as you eat at a deficit. I would think at least a little bit of cardio would be good to incorporate - maybe 2-3 days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    @ 1200 calories you could do nothing and lose weight. 1200 calories is a calorie goal to lose weight for sedentary individuals. If you're exercising you will need more...because obviously you would no longer be "sedentary"
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too, but I'm going to start running anyways because I know I need to incorporate that into my lifting if I want to lose. I lift probably 4-5 hours a week, I need to at least get that in cardio too I think. Ugh. Though, I used to do the Latin Zumba and it was so much fun!! That's how I lost my first 30 pounds, so maybe I'll take that up. Cardio doesn't have to be boring, find what works for you, otherwise there's nothing wrong with just hitting the weights, try doing super sets. :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    As you, I am not a cardio fan. The only cardio I get is sometimes after my lifting I'll get on the stationary bike for a 10-15 min HIIT. Once or twice a week I'll go for a brisk walk for 30-45 min.
    I find I get to eat quite a bit, 14-1600 cal. With this.