ice cream workout(Not actually eating ice cream)

Options
emberding
emberding Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone ever heard or done this routine? Its basically a 5x5 3x a week of prettymuch core lifts. Any input?

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    tried it and became overweight :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Weight gain guaranteed.
  • emberding
    Options
    Haha. I thought it was a funny name for a workout but it looks challenging.
  • emberding
    Options
    OK, its not Actually eating ice cream!! Haha just the name of the workout!
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been on it for a couple of years its a good little program if your nutrition is on point etc. Though his strength standards seem abit optimistic if you have never touched a barbell before.
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

It's a lot of volume for a novice weight lifting program. You should eat a lot and make sure you are getting enough protein. But for people who want to start lifting heavy to look better, it's a better program than other 5x5 programs such as Starting Strength or StrongLifts.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ICF is essentially stronglifts + isolations. I'm just starting it up again after a few months off due to injury (100% my fault, got lazy on a rep and paid for it). I'll be able to report back with results in a few months.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months. It wasn't bad but I became bored after a while. It's just two work outs over and over... Not my thing. I did the cutting version though so I only increased weights every other session. If you're relatively new to lifting, I don't think its a bad program, it just wasn't for me.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months. It wasn't bad but I became bored after a while. It's just two work outs over and over... Not my thing. I did the cutting version though so I only increased weights every other session. If you're relatively new to lifting, I don't think its a bad program, it just wasn't for me.
    It's a novice program so it's only meant to be done for a few months, basically until linear progression stops. Lots of people graduate to a brosplit which has a bit more variety. But the program is very good at building strength, which is its purpose.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    It's a novice program so it's only meant to be done for a few months, basically until linear progression stops. Lots of people graduate to a brosplit which has a bit more variety. But the program is very good at building strength, which is its purpose.

In one of Jason's comments he says the program should be done for 6-12 months. The OP asked for input, I just said that it wasn't for me and that I got bored. Nothing wrong with the program itself, I just couldn't do that for 6-12 months straight.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I've done Stronglifts 5x5, and like it. ICF is similar, but adds additional assistance work. If you've got the time, it looks good, but I'd estimate each workout to be in the ~90 minute range (a Stronglifts or Starting Strength workout can be done in 45 - 60 minutes, depending on warmup sets).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I've done Stronglifts 5x5, and like it. ICF is similar, but adds additional assistance work. If you've got the time, it looks good, but I'd estimate each workout to be in the ~90 minute range (a Stronglifts or Starting Strength workout can be done in 45 - 60 minutes, depending on warmup sets).

I currently run ICF 5x5, when I was doing it to the full 5x5, it's over an hour, just shy of 90min.
    I enjoy it since I got bored with SL.
    I did SL then ICF, then I hurt myself so I did a bro-split so I could drop leg day as needed (knee injury) then went back to SL and was bored since I liked the iso work of ICF.

I'm doing ICF now with my half marathon training so I only lift twice a week so the AB workouts work out well for me. I've made some other modification but those are what I've been doing since prior to my injury (lifting did not cause my injury).