Anyone doing Stronglifts 5x5?

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
I'm currently on day 3, but prior to starting Stronglifts, I've been training for a 10-miler race in 3 weeks. I know the program gets progressively harder as weights go up, so I'd like to know how soon will I be able to see results?

Replies

• dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think you'll notice some change in 3-4 weeks. If you have an idea of how much you could lift before starting the program, you'll notice your strength will go up more that packing on muscle mass. StrongLifts is more about strength over hypertrophy.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I'ts a gradual process but when I started last fall I noticed my quads got rock hard after about a month. I can't comment on much of anything else because I injured myself (completely my fault for dropping the bar) so I'm just now healthy enough to start again.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 3 days a week. I've noticed a big difference in my upper body strength since I first started.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Results will vary for a few reasons but I'll also agree that it's a gradual process. Starting point, goals, nutrition and such will be factors.

I did stronglifts for 12 weeks. Do I have a lot of definition? Well, no because it was just 12 weeks and I'm still obese for my height. I did lose weight during that time as I went through it on a calorie deficit. I did some cardio after for a fair number of weeks but gradually switched that to days off on occasion. However, I did go from never even knowing how to deadlift to getting a max at 200 during that time, which felt pretty good. Also, am getting closer to being able to squat body weight. Not sure where the two will meet (increase in weights or decrease in my weight) but I'm going to get there somehow.

Also, for me, I see the changes less on myself than others do. I've lost around 45 since September and while I'm aware of some of the difference, it is others who tend to notice more. I get comments often from coworkers and even customers, who all see the difference. Plus, I'm running out of clothes that aren't too big, which is a fun problem to have. :wink:

I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women since my stepsister got me the book for Christmas and I was ready to go out of my comfort zone to try some different things but I may go back and do stronglifts again in the future. I like the 5x5 rep range.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for awhile. I am loving it. Still getting gains in weights. As long as you follow the rest times, warm ups etc you can still make progress. I got maverick and starting making rest times shorter to speed up the workout and intensity, big mistake started missing sets and getting frustrated.

I seen results after about 3/4 weeks. I have added in a couple small accessory exercises as well.

I also add in cardio and my body is starting to take shape. Just have to clean up my diet. I try to eat in a deficit however weight progress has been like maintance. But measurements are still going in the right direction so I am happy overall. Just need to keep working on fat loss.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    That all depends on what kind of results you are looking for.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Results from day 1. Observable results, muscle definition entirely dependent on multiple factors.

I am 4 months into it. I have been progressing slowly and have much more definition in upper body. Lower body is coming along too but that is where I carry my BF.

It's definitely worth the commitment to do it over the long haul. It will make you better at everything else that you do.

One word of advice I will give is don't be in such a hurry to increase the weights. Progressive overload can take on many forms, not just higher weights. You also need to allow time for your bones, ligaments, and tendons to strengthen to avoid injury. This adaptation is much slower than we think.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think you'll see results quite soon. Maybe not ones other people will recognize though. I'm still a fat guy... but I have muscles that feel like they are now mixed with concrete compared to how they used to feel. And I have experienced some fat loss, just not where my vanity mostly cared about it. I now have quadriceps that are beyond anything I had as a skinny teenager (late forties now). All my pants are looser and I have to tighten my belt a lot more (and that feels comfortable rather than the buckle biting) Also, you see amazing results in how strong you get--that starts to become a priority as you push the program.

That's one man's experience who never did a squat or a deadlift until after he turned 46 years old.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in starting this. I downloaded the app, but then noticed that the setup is for men and i can't find the section in the help area that addresses women starting the program.

Anyone have any suggestions?
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I'm interested in starting this. I downloaded the app, but then noticed that the setup is for men and i can't find the section in the help area that addresses women starting the program.

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options

The starting weights are doable for women. They have you start with an empty bar for most lifts and at 45 lbs., it's a reasonable working weight for an untrained individual. That said, if you're struggling with it, you can always substitute dumbbells and work your way up to the barbell.

I've had to turn off the automatic increments and go it at my own pace as some lifts are easier to progress than others, but don't hesitate to attempt the program as is. Just ensure that your form is on point.

Check out this group, I found their stickies to be incredibly helpful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options

The starting weights are doable for women. They have you start with an empty bar for most lifts and at 45 lbs., it's a reasonable working weight for an untrained individual. That said, if you're struggling with it, you can always substitute dumbbells and work your way up to the barbell.

I've had to turn off the automatic increments and go it at my own pace as some lifts are easier to progress than others, but don't hesitate to attempt the program as is. Just ensure that your form is on point.

Check out this group, I found their stickies to be incredibly helpful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Thanks!
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I couldn't start with the bar. I started with fixed barbells at around 30, for the OHP. I increased everything by 2.5 instead of 5. And deadlifts by 5. My gym doesn't have microplates so I bought some from Amazon. It's been a huge help to be able to go up slowly. Here's the link

Ader Fitness Olympic Fractional Plates - 5 LB Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RP3KY8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uXBdvb0DJJHBE

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought ankle weights for a pretty low amount of money (can't remember what exactly). Each weighed 2.5 lbs but consisted of two removable sandbags weighing 1.25 lbs. So that allowed me to up the weight by only 2.5 lbs, or, if I didn't mind using the middle of the bar, only 1.25 lbs.