Fruit Sugar VS Granulated Sugar.

Options
Obviously i know the difference, and i know that they are 2 completely different sugars.
Here is my situation:
I had my daughter July 2014, before i got pregnant, i ate mostly vegan, very healthy, etc. After i had her, i became dangerously addicted to sugar, bad sugars... Snack cakes, Ginger ale, processed junk!
Monday, i ate 130 Grams+ of sugar! I know, so bad. I only used my diary for the purpose of seeing just how bad my addiction really was.
Today is Friday and im down to 50-70 grams a day, most of those being from fruits.
Thats where my question comes in:
Are fruit sugars just as bad for you in this high of quantity?
I breastfeed, i work full time, and i need sleep.
So this is crucial to me. And actually, quite urgent.
any questions, let me know.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    All sugar is the same whether it is sucrose, fructose, lactose, maltose, dextrose, glucose, etc. It gets turned into glucose by your body. Unless you have a medical issue where you need to limit sugar, don't worry about it, just stick to your total carb target.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    All sugar is the same whether it is sucrose, fructose, lactose, maltose, dextrose, glucose, etc. It gets turned into glucose by your body. Unless you have a medical issue where you need to limit sugar, don't worry about it, just stick to your total carb target.

This is true after the food is broken down and in your blood stream. But the processes before that are different. And if you are eating candy and sweets you are likely lacking the nutrients that fruit brings along with it. If you have any issues with insulin resistance, fruit is much better than sweet treats that have little fiber or protein.

Generally speaking, yes fruits are preferable to candy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Obviously i know the difference, and i know that they are 2 completely different sugars.

Today is Friday and im down to 50-70 grams a day, most of those being from fruits.
    Thats where my question comes in:
    Are fruit sugars just as bad for you in this high of quantity?

The sugar in many fruits is of more than one type - there's sucrose in oranges for example just like the sucrose in granulated sugar.

90 grams a day total sugars is a guideline intake in the EU and Aus
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1181259
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

This is true after the food is broken down and in your blood stream. But the processes before that are different. And if you are eating candy and sweets you are likely lacking the nutrients that fruit brings along with it. If you have any issues with insulin resistance, fruit is much better than sweet treats that have little fiber or protein.

Generally speaking, yes fruits are preferable to candy.

She wasn't asking about the foods, she was asking about the sugar in the foods. There is no difference in how your body uses the sugar.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No difference, they work the same. Your personal health will determine how bad it is for you. An apple or a Heath Bar can make my blood sugar skyrocket. If you don't have issues with blood sugar or insulin then sugar just becomes an easy thing to cut out to lower calories.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The fiber in whole fruit slows down the absorption of the sugars. Less insulin spike. Drinking orange juice = sugar buzz and quick return of hunger. Eating an orange - not so much.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've always been told sugar is sugar regardless if it is brown, white, honey or fruit. I can hardly know who to trust with some of this dietary info. I find it very frustrating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.

Apples aren't cookies.

There is no reason to use one kind of sugar vs. another (there are some nutrients in molasses, but in the amounts we are talking about this is generally irrelevant, I'd go with taste and get the nutrients in other ways). However, there may be reasons to reduce your consumption of cookies but not apples, depending on your particular diet. In other words, the issue is more nuanced than total sugar grams.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Using the word "bad" is weird and unhelpful when you are talking about your food. You have enough going on with thinking about how eating 130 grams of sugar is "bad."
    Definitely, definitely make some major adjustments so that you can get some more sleep. Sleeping will do more for you than anything else. B)
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT- you NEED those carbs as a hard working, busy, BREASTFEEDING momma!!! Eat all the fruit you can!! The sugar in them is essential, you need that fructose and glucose for every cell in your body, plus if you're eating good fruit (hopefully mostly organic) you are getting COUNTLESS other vitamins and nutrients, not to mention all the good fiber coming with it too!
  • caticus95
    Options
    Fruit sugars are fine. Refined sugar isn't so great but every cell in your body pretty much runs on sugar. I wouldn't worry about it.