Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• laurab330
    laurab330 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last week of c25k and have LOVED it! I can personally vouch that it does get easier. I remember the first time I had to do the 5 minute jog interval - I thought I was going to die. But yesterday I ran 3 miles straight with little to no trouble. It was amazing and felt SO GOOD!!!

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to GO SLOW. Like even slower than you think is slow. I was trying to run too fast at first and it just worked against me. When I slowed down I was able to complete the run intervals more easily and just got stronger. There were times where I knew I could walk faster than I was running, but that's ok! Speed will come as you increase your distance, don't even worry about it right now. And definitely repeat weeks if you feel like you need to.

Running has changed my life - I can't imagine not doing it now :)
  • clarekeating857
    clarekeating857 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I did it
  • clarekeating857
    Options
    Well I did it

That was weird post cut off, first 1.5 minute was ok, by third set I was really struggling! You have my empathy jwood I had bronchitis for 12 weeks and it's hard.

Thankyou so much Laura I bet you feel great! Very inspiring and good to have hope as it seems such a long way off! Xx

• clarekeating857
    Options
    jwoods8706 wrote: »
    I just started c25k the other day I'm on wk1 day 2 and I understand it's tough! I'm a smoker whose trying to quit and I about died doing day 1 haha so good luck!! I'll prob be repeating week 1 also.

Keep going!! X
  • my_jennaration
    my_jennaration Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting it! I didn't complete last fall. So I started over. Will be doing week 2 day 1 tonight! I love it!! I have a 5k coming up in June and am going to try to find some before then! :)
  • Beaches1960
    Beaches1960 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've started it, but I have to take a break again. Although I got fitted for running shoes and inserts, I am still getting shin splints and bad lower leg pain. I cannot seem to get past W1D2. I've been doing it on a treadmill, so maybe I'm setting it too fast (first time 6.0 mph, second 5.5 mph). I am able to do the intervals breathing wise, but not my legs. I'm going to try working on my lower leg muscles in the meantime while I heal. Keep up the good work, and PLEASE slow down/repeat if you need to!

I started this about 2 months ago. I use the treadmill as it will always be in front of me. I first started out to slow then to fast and dreaded going back on. Then I found what worked for me on the speed, which made a world of difference.
    The first 5 minutes I start at 2mph in 1 minute increments increase .5 up to 4.0.
    After that 5.0mph is my running speed and 4.0 slow speed.
    I can now run 25 minutes at 5.0 straight through. Then cool down
    I have tried 5.5 and 6.0 but just doesn't work for me.
    For me it wasn't a race so much as just a easy run.
    There always Challenges on MFP which I did the Feb one. Mine was to do 30 miles in Feb. mind you I started Feb 8th.
    I believe I ended up with 33 miles:)

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    There's a Couch to 5K group on here that you might want to check out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Angel good luck with 2nd week let me know how torturous it is :# I have a charity fun run in May (5k) with my sporty 10 year old so doing this secretly to surprise her. Well that is the idea anyway... X

Hey!! I've been on week 2 for about 2 weeks now... lol. Not as hard as starting the first week, and every time it gets hard I just have to remind myself that when I first started I couldn't even finish. I've so got this!
    eddiedamn wrote: »
    I had a lot of luck using this take on the same idea: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Don't be afraid to repeat weeks as needed. I certainly did.

LOVE DJ. STEVEBOY! This got me through when my phone crapped out and I couldn't use my app for weeks. No excuses for me!
  • laurab330
    laurab330 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I did it

That was weird post cut off, first 1.5 minute was ok, by third set I was really struggling! You have my empathy jwood I had bronchitis for 12 weeks and it's hard.

Thankyou so much Laura I bet you feel great! Very inspiring and good to have hope as it seems such a long way off! Xx

Nice job!!!

It does seem like a long way to go, but you'll get there and you'll be amazed at what you accomplished :)

• Riggly27
    Riggly27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've started it, but I have to take a break again. Although I got fitted for running shoes and inserts, I am still getting shin splints and bad lower leg pain. I cannot seem to get past W1D2. I've been doing it on a treadmill, so maybe I'm setting it too fast (first time 6.0 mph, second 5.5 mph). I am able to do the intervals breathing wise, but not my legs. I'm going to try working on my lower leg muscles in the meantime while I heal. Keep up the good work, and PLEASE slow down/repeat if you need to!

Woo 6.5 & 5.5 mph sound super fast to me. I'm restarting C25K this week. I've done it a couple times but I stop running once I'm finished. :( Not sure the running pace I'll start at but thinking more like 4ish mph. It might help a lot to slooowww down. I know if I tried to go to fast or skip weeks in the past my knee would act up but as long as I slowly progressed I was fine. :)
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K in the past but never made it past the 3rd week :( That was a while ago - I've just started doing a 5k training plan, not couch to 5k but something similar. Anyone else feel like they're going to die while they're running? I feel great/amazing/powerful afterwards, but while I'm actually doing it, it's really tough. This is my 2nd week - I started with a 1min run/walk interval, and today did 3 min run/walk interval and thought I was going to die haha
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    slow down
    I've done C25K in the past but never made it past the 3rd week :( That was a while ago - I've just started doing a 5k training plan, not couch to 5k but something similar. Anyone else feel like they're going to die while they're running? I feel great/amazing/powerful afterwards, but while I'm actually doing it, it's really tough. This is my 2nd week - I started with a 1min run/walk interval, and today did 3 min run/walk interval and thought I was going to die haha

Seriously, slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are probably trying to run too fast. Don't worry about speed, that will come later.
  • realityhack
    Options
    Started C25K on the treadmill (Boston area... you go run in snow and traffic).
    My problem is actually getting past Week 1 Day
    I did a lot of research on proper running technique as I have never been a runner and switching things up so I did it right to avoid injury has me dropping out at run 3 of 8. I just don't have the experience with moving that way.
    Fortunately I can just do it again till I get through day 1.
  • MarvelousMrs
    Options
    The trouble is, I feel like I'm barely running at all. Seriously, I'm a snail. I think it's just because I'm so terribly overweight and out of shape. Most of the "feeling like I"m going to die" is my leg muscles saying they can't carry me anymore. I don't think I can carry on a conversation while I'm running - should I be walking until I build up more strength/cardio capacity? Before I start jogging?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes at a time several times a week, you can start c25k. Many people start out "running" slower than most people walk. It's not unusual.
  • MarvelousMrs
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes at a time several times a week, you can start c25k. Many people start out "running" slower than most people walk. It's not unusual.

I'm running about as fast as I walk :) But that's okay, I'm out there doing it and that's what matters!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 now and the 3 minute jog is a bit of a challenge but after a minute walk afterwards I'm all ready to do more. I do know the feeling of weight seeming like an issue. I started with just walking back in september and tried to jog just a tiny bit on occasion. It was a lot harder back then, and more awkward feeling, when I weighed over 200 lbs. Now that I've lost over 40, it is a bit easier. Plus I did walking and weightlifting before starting the c25k training. However, I do jog really slow still. Got to start somewhere and even if it's as slow as turtles going through peanut butter, it's still something.

I definitely plan to repeat some days and weeks, too. Don't think I will be jogging for 25 minutes straight in 4 weeks from now, but someday, that will be reached too. Just need to keep moving.