RunKeeper Calories Burned

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
So, I know this has been discussed before but . . . RunKeeper can't really tell me the calories burned, right? I assume this is because yes, it knows my weight, but it doesn't know the topography of my run. I was downhill at times and breathing easily, but then I hit Heartbreak Hill (yes, I live on the Boston Marathon route) and thought I might pass out. : ) It doesn't take that into account, right?

I have ordered my Polar HRM for more accurate readings, but just asking this in the meantime.

Thanks!

Replies

• bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is actually pretty good at the calorie estimate. It will not replace a HRM, but it has come close to my HRM when I checked it out. I believe Runkeeper does take the topography into account. If you log into the Runkeeper website and view your activity history you will find a graph for your climbs and decent. I would assume that they would use this to estimate your calories burned. Hope this helps.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper does NOT take your heart rate into account when it calculates your calorie burn:

http://support.runkeeper.com/entries/21705386-How-are-Calories-Burned-calculated-

That is one of the many reasons I use iSmoothRun. I do have it upload the data to RunKeeper, so have I have the reporting functions - but even doing that, Runkeeper takes the raw data, and does its own calorie burn and mileage calculations.

Edit: I use a Wahoo BlueHR chest strap with my iPhone. I don't care about the calorie burn estimates so much anymore since I am not logging anymore (maintenance), but iSmoothRun also does cadence, tracks your shoe mileage, and more.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper, MFP (if you accurately input your speed), and my Polar Ft40 all come acceptably close to each other in reporting calorie burn. When it comes to running, the formula is fairly consistent ... though you're right, a particularly hilly run is harder to verify.