A question of grammar

triciab79
triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
I am attempting to fix this statement in a warning message.
DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU SPOKE AND COORDINATE WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

The tense is clearly different between spoke and coordinate but no matter how I write it, it just sounds funny.

DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU SPEAK AND COORDINATE WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN WITH AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU SPEAK TO AND COORDINATE WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

This site has the highest concentration of grammar hawks I have ever seen so surely one of you can put your powers of criticism to productive use. Thanks!!

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    I'm not sure what to say about this, so in keeping with the standard response on this website...are you weighing all of your food? Whatever the problem is, it can probably be solved by weighing your food.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited March 2015
    I think any of those 4 would be acceptable. I would go with the last one.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    i pick "DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>."
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Funny post - I am originally from Kentucky - so start it with a Y'all - and then either use "speak to and coordinate with" or "have spoken to and coordinated with". But could you get away with eliminating the first verb? Do you really need to mention speaking if you require coordinating? What if they coordinate on email?
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    I'm not sure what to say about this, so in keeping with the standard response on this website...are you weighing all of your food? Whatever the problem is, it can probably be solved by weighing your food.

Hahaha! :p
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Definitely the fourth option.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member

It really is only about calories in and calories out....
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    You have to add a preposition after speak or spoken to link it to the rest of your sentence. Otherwise, they could just speak to themelves or the cat or to the computer.
  • chimptron
    chimptron Posts: 1,448 Member
    Thinking out of the box, try it a different way: "DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE OBTAINED APPROVAL FROM AN AUTHORIZED PERSON AT <COMPANY NAME>."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN WITH AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.

This one sounds right to me.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    I pick door number 4!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    chimptron wrote: »
    Thinking out of the box, try it a different way: "DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE OBTAINED APPROVAL FROM AN AUTHORIZED PERSON AT <COMPANY NAME>."

This one.

Or... DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE ACCURATELY WEIGHED YOUR FOOD.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    I got it. Here's one you don't have:

DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I think it should be, "DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN PROPERLY FITTED FOR SHOES AT A RUNNING STORE."

But any of the four you posted would do.
  • chimptron
    Given the original words, the one above is grammatically correct. However, I suggest using different words to simplify the meaning. your mileage may vary
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I think it should be, "DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN PROPERLY FITTED FOR SHOES AT A RUNNING STORE."

But any of the four you posted would do.

DO NOT RUN FROM IMMIGRATION UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    DO NOT RUN THIS MIGRATION UNLESS YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO AND COORDINATED WITH SOMEONE AT <COMPANY NAME>

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chimptron
    aw, go ahead and migrate!
  • AkCyclist
    AkCyclist Posts: 1,200 Member
    DO NOT RUN THIS MARATHON UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO AND COORDINATED WITH RACE OFFICIALS AT <COMPANY NAME>
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    9/10 would bang.