Hey could I lose a pound a week this way?

Options
If you burned 300 calories and burned 200 a day, thus making a deficit of 500 calories a week, could that work?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    i do not understand this question. Deficit of 500 calories a week would be less than 100 calories per day, barely a lb a month lost probably.

Just use the numbers MFP gave you for a 1lb/week weight loss goal. Eat back at least half your logged exercise calories. Weigh food for most accuracy and be sure you log with the correct entries. It's really not rocket science.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    saiyuli69 wrote: »
    If you burned 300 calories and burned 200 a day, thus making a deficit of 500 calories a week, could that work?

Do what?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand. You mean a 500 cal deficit each week? Or day?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you create a deficit of 500 cals per day, through lowing the amount you're consuming or through burning calories through exercise or through any combination, then you should expect to lose 1 lb per week on average.
  • saiyuli69
    saiyuli69 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant 500 a day=3500 a week. This app was giving me difficulties. But it could work? Someone was telling me that my metabolism would be too low? :/
  • saiyuli69
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Do what?

Sorry when I was writing it the box wouldn't pop up....I mean 500 a day
  • saiyuli69
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Yes, if you create a deficit of 500 cals per day, through lowing the amount you're consuming or through burning calories through exercise or through any combination, then you should expect to lose 1 lb per week on average.

Awesome. So it's not true my metabolism will slow down?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    3500 = 1lb. But you won't lose a perfect pound every week . weight fluctuates all over the place. Keep an eye on your weekly deficit and your weight loss trend
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Awesome. So it's not true my metabolism will slow down?

Generally no. As you lose weight, your body needs less calories to support your new weight, but that comes in very small bits over time. Just focus on creating your deficit through diet and exercise if you like, and don't worry about any slowing metabolism.

• Christine_72
    Options
    It also depends what your starting weight and tdee are. I've got 7lbs left to lose and taking 500 calories away would put me at around 1000 calories a day, obviously unsustainable and far too low.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your counting being accurate.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    It also depends on your counting being accurate.

yes indeedy

• saiyuli69
    Options
    Awesome thanks everyone! !!!!! Sticking with it!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Depends also on how much you eat. You cant out exercise a bad diet.

So without exercising you have the deficit of 500 calories to lose that pound ( about a pound some weeks you will some weeks you will lose less or more)

So that is without exercising

But when you exercise and you eat wayyyyy above your maintenance level so say 1000 more you didn't create a deficit. And you will even gain weight.

So it is like this.
    Create a deficit, eat less calories than you burn. When you do this with exercise that's good too.

But still you have to weigh all your solid food and measure all your liquids to know how much calories you take in.
    Than there is also the fact that you dont know exactly how much you burn. When the training machine or your fitbit or your polar watch tells you, that you burned 500 calories than that is most of the time over estimated.

• saiyuli69
    Options
    Depends also on how much you eat. You cant out exercise a bad diet.

So without exercising you have the deficit of 500 calories to lose that pound ( about a pound some weeks you will some weeks you will lose less or more)

So that is without exercising

But when you exercise and you eat wayyyyy above your maintenance level so say 1000 more you didn't create a deficit. And you will even gain weight.

So it is like this.
    Create a deficit, eat less calories than you burn. When you do this with exercise that's good too.

But still you have to weigh all your solid food and measure all your liquids to know how much calories you take in.
    Than there is also the fact that you dont know exactly how much you burn. When the training machine or your fitbit or your polar watch tells you, that you burned 500 calories than that is most of the time over estimated.

Good point about over estimating! I'm actually ordering a polar watch very soon. I have a photo shoot coming up I gotta look good for lol.
    Thanks for explaining btw I appreciate it. Oh and as for food I make sure to not eat much and keep it simple and healthy