i dont know when im full

Options
2»

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know either. I find it's best to just put what I'm planning to eat on my plate and just eat that - no seconds.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Most of us don't.

It's kinda why we're here, right? We don't know when enough is enough, or even too much, and we eat to excess and gained unwanted weight.

Not me, I'm here for other reasons. I fill up really quickly and often eat my meals in a few sittings- so maybe I have something to offer here. I think maybe I feel full because I eat (annoyingly) slowly. I like to make sure my mouth is empty before eat next bite (not a concious thing- just always been this way). Plus I pause pretty often. I do find that if I have to eat more quickly due to time limits etc. (short lunch break etc.) I don't feel as full- and I kind of don't notice what I've eaten. I don't like that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There was BBC documentary on dieting which covered this syndrome. They call your type of dieter a feaster and it has to do with your body not producing a certain type of hormone in your stomach to signal when you are full.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/deconstructing-diets---you-feaster-8431958

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This is why I have to count calories. I can't trust my hunger cues. I eat when I start feeling really hungry or weak. I can eat a decent sized meal and then be hungry a short time later but I have to just ignore that until my next planned meal or snack.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Feeling full is overrated. Feeling satisfied is a better feeling. Your body doesn't know it's no longer hungry if you eat quickly. It takes 20 minutes for the stomach to communicate this to your brain. Slow down.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As a follow-up on what 999tigger said, you should try to cut back on foods that digest quickly, like potatoes and sugary things, and eat more things that take a while to digest, and therefore end up lower in the gut. The reasoning behind this is that lower in the gut is where the "I'm full" hormones are produced, so if your body produces less of those, you need to make sure more food makes it down there.

The types of food you'll want to eat are called high protein low GI. Examples are:
    Brown rice, whole oats, lentils, fish, lean meat, etc.
    Meal tips are found here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/high-protein_low-gi_recipes
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    There was a BBC documentary a while back about different types of overeating and how diets should be tailored to different types of overeaters. One type, called "feasters", don't produce enough of the gut hormones which signal fullness, so tend to eat too much once they start. The recommendation for this group was a high protein, low glycemic index diet, which boosts the fullness signal. Link to the recommendations for "feasters":

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/rightdiet/feasters.pdf
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    I don't know either. I find it's best to just put what I'm planning to eat on my plate and just eat that - no seconds.

^^^^This! Make a meal plan, put it on your plate, eat it, enjoy it and call it done. Log the calories and move on. (Or pre-log, then you're less likely to eat more than what you allotted for yourself.)

I used to eat to the feeling of full/stuffed at dinner every night. (Breakfast and lunch were not really a problem for some reason.) At dinner, I would eat as much or more than my husband. Now, after several months of eating my pre-determined portions I just don't enjoy that stuffed feeling anymore. In fact, it makes me feel pretty gross when I do. Amazing how your brain/body can adapt to a few small behavioral changes.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I try to just eat until i am no longer hungry. If I eat till I am full I have overate and my stomach is packed. If your still hungry after you eat lets say X calories then drink a glass of water and give it 5 minutes, it takes a few for your mind to catch up with your stomach or vice versa.
    There have been times where I am actually still hungry and eat more.
    There also has been plenty of times I just want another bowl of ice cream or another cookie ect ect ect.