Mushrooms

Options

Replies

• Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I make an awesome low calorie and filling Hungarian mushroom soup. I add mushrooms to as many dishes as I can

Hungarian mushroom soup?

That sounds delicious!

Would you be willing to share the recipe please?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Raaneve wrote: »
    I make an awesome low calorie and filling Hungarian mushroom soup. I add mushrooms to as many dishes as I can

Hungarian mushroom soup?

That sounds delicious!

Would you be willing to share the recipe please?

Of course. Stand by and I'll post it.

• Raaneve
    Options
    ...lol... I pm'd you just as you were posting this reply... thanks so much!! :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    :smiley: No worries, here it is:

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

· 2 tablespoons butter

· 1 onion, diced

· 1 pound mushrooms, sliced

· 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)

· 1 tablespoon paprika

· 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

· 2 teaspoons dried dill

· 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)

· salt and pepper to taste

· 1/2 cup sour cream

· 1 splash lemon juice

· 1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes

4. Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and dill and remove from heat.
  • Raaneve
    Options
    ...oooohhh.... this sounds FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks again!! :)
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My favourite weekend breakfast is Sautéed Mushrooms and Spinach on toast, Occasionally topped with a poached egg.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I hope you enjoy it :bigsmile: Mushrooms are my favourite vegetable
    . I also add bok choy to the soup which is my second favourite veggie
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm like a hobbit when it comes to mushrooms. Lightly sauteed with a bit of salt. Om nom.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My parents are on atkins so I just made pizza using portobello mushroom caps as the bread. It was definitely one of the better things I have ever cooked.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I grill portobellos in my grill pan (but sometimes outside). I put frozen spinach cooked with lots of garlic, top with feta and sun-dried tomatoes in oil. YUMM-O! I also make a killer mushroom Burgundy stew instead of beef. That's a Rachel Ray recipe. And it's pretty light in calories.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    loooove mushrooms. They go in my salad, in stir fries, omelettes, chopped into my sloppy joe mix, sauteed with onions to have with steak or burgers, added to my favorite sliced zucchini dish (thinly slice, sauted in a bit of butter & olive oil, with fresh garlic & basil). Soups, mushroom risotto-- so many things I add mushrooms to, add flavor & bulk without a lot of calories. One of the few veggies my DH will eat!
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    I put mushrooms in just about everything. I just love them. Thanks for the recipe of the Hungarian mushroom soup, my husband is Hungarian, and i dont think he has ever had this one. Mushrooms are a good filler for any meal. I use them alot in lasagna's , speghetti sauce, with eggs, stews as a base for pizza,grilled on the bbq,in stir frys . I also like them as a filler in hamburgers, and they taste awesome.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Saute mushrooms, stir in marinara, top with parmesean or goat cheese...yum yum yum! Its a low calorie satisfying meal reminiscent of pasta, but heartier.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    ive never met a mushroom i didnt like.

i mince them and add them (and other veggies) to meatloaf and meatballs, eat them raw in salad, stuffed, cooked with other veg, add them to soups and stews, make portobello burgers, whatever.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mushroms are awesome. Theyre going in my spicy orange pork stirfry toinight.

Just recently I grilled some portabello caps (in my stovetop grill pan) with a bit of olive oil and salt and served them on top of grilled chicken breasts spread with a bit of garlic aioli. So good! Would have been good on a bun too.

We saute small ones and add them to grilled steak or chicken tacos along with sauted onions and peppers.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    +1 for mushroom soup! We also fry them with potatoes. This dish is not very healthy though :)
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    :smiley: No worries, here it is:

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

· 2 tablespoons butter

· 1 onion, diced

· 1 pound mushrooms, sliced

· 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)

· 1 tablespoon paprika

· 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

· 2 teaspoons dried dill

· 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)

· salt and pepper to taste

· 1/2 cup sour cream

· 1 splash lemon juice

· 1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes

4. Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and dill and remove from heat.

DEFINITELY trying this!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have mushrooms in my omelet every morning. My 13 year old likes to sautee the giant portobello caps and then break an egg into them, cover, and eat when the white is set and the yolk opaque but still runny.

Mushrooms are awesome. They have tons of minerals and micronutrients and many are believed to have medicinal properties, ( might be woo and broscience...harmless woo and broscience so long as you aren't avoiding your scientific health and medicine!) and they are great for weight loss purposes because they are so substantial for so few calories....
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I, like many of you, add mushrooms to everything I can! One of my favorite lighter meals is to take about a cup each of shredded rotisserie chicken, sliced mushrooms and sliced Vidalia (or other sweet onion) and saute in olive oil until hot, adding a light touch of sea salt and pepper. Be careful when sauteing with olive oil, though, as 'shrooms will soak up a lot of it because they're so porous. Thanks for all the ideas and recipes, friends!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    They do soak up the oil! I find they produce enough moisture on their own, though, just put them in a hot nonstick skillet and cover...add a couple of drops of water if they are on the dry side...you end up with that nice sauteed mushroom texture without soaking up all your fats.