Chicken Burger vs Turkey Burger

Options
I am trying to be healthier and obviously trying to avoid red meats and beef being one of them I am wondering what I should be replacing it for ground turkey or ground chicken? Or does it matter? I have eaten turkey burgers before and very much enjoyed them and I am sure chicken wouldn't be that different so I am good either way. TIA

Replies

• Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to the top hopefully to be seen and to get some insight!!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've never used ground chicken as I've never seen it in the grocery store. I love making Chipotle turkey burgers though. They are amazing!allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-chipotle-turkey-burgers/
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Oh my gosh that looks amazing... drooling on the keyboard haha
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about red meat? Have what you prefer, some ground beef is leaner than the ground turkey or chicken you find in the markets. Personally, I don't eat any of it, but that's for ethical reasons, so my choice would be black bean burgers FTW! ;)
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Black bean burgers? Sounds interesting I have been eating the morning star grillerz burgers for a while but wanted to switch it up a bit.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    And lol I don't even know what the morning star ones are made of I just know not meat haha!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Why obviously avoiding red meat?
    Theres nothingwrong with red meat. Great source of fat, protein, and iron.

Turkey is very easy to overcook due to the leanness. Ground chicken too.

Ive made burgers from all 3 ground meats - not at once. I buy whatevers on sale.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    And lol I don't even know what the morning star ones are made of I just know not meat haha!

I don't buy Morningstar, most of them aren't vegan, but my guess would be TVP, textured vegetable protein with some veggies and binders thrown in. I usually make my own bean burgers. =)
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I don't buy Morningstar, most of them aren't vegan, but my guess would be TVP, textured vegetable protein with some veggies and binders thrown in. I usually make my own bean burgers. =)

I just searched for a recipe and they look GOOOOD!
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options

Ive made burgers from all 3 ground meats - not at once. I buy whatevers on sale.

I'm sorry I am new to this, didn't mean to offend??, I just have been told red meat is bad fat and promotes weight gain. That is the hard part about getting started knowing the myths from the truth.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Red meat and beef isn't unhealthy. eat a variety of foods (which includes red meat if you like how it tastes) and a sustainable caloric deficit and you will be plenty healthy. No one died because they ate steak sometimes.
  • Laurend224
    Options

I'm sorry I am new to this, didn't mean to offend??, I just have been told red meat is bad fat and promotes weight gain. That is the hard part about getting started knowing the myths from the truth.

Nah. If you like beef, eat it!
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    Thanks! This is an interesting twist!
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

You were lied too.

All foods are fine in moderation barring any medical reasons (like gluten for a Celiac, sugar for a diabetic, high sodium for a heart patient, etc)

I wouldnt eat red meat every day for every meal but thats largely due to cost and desire for variety.

If it concerns you, mix ground beef and ground turkey In chilis and such to still get the protein but to lower the fat. You can all get leaner ground meat but the leaner it is, the easier it is to dry it out when cooking - 99% lean turkey or beef. 93% lean turkey or beef is a decent compromise on taste and fat content. I think 85% is gross unless im using it in chili or soup
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make turkey mince burgers because it's easier to get lean turkey mince here and because I think that rolling them into rissoles is easier than chicken mince ( I find chicken mince gets a bit too sticky). I also agree they're easy to overcook, so be aware and just watch them. Don't feel bad if the first try is a bit dry.

Also if you're trying to have less red meat in your diet some other ideas are fish rissoles (I've made them from canned salmon and tuna which are lovely), grilled meats instead of patties, baked falafals/ veg rissoles, and definitely a home made black bean burger (freaking tasty!)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    And to answer the original question!

When I get the 1.3# packages of ground turkey, i mix the meat up with a bunch of spinach or whatever leafy green I have (including herbs), a bunch of garlic, and some balsamic vinegar and make 4 - 5 burgers from the mix.

And ive made chicken burgers with ground chicken, minced garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, and seasame seed oil. Its frigging delish
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options

You can all get leaner ground meat but the leaner it is, the easier it is to dry it out when cooking

What do mean dry out?
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    I prefer to make turkey mince burgers because it's easier to get lean turkey mince here and because I think that rolling them into rissoles is easier than chicken mince ( I find chicken mince gets a bit too sticky). I also agree they're easy to overcook, so be aware and just watch them. Don't feel bad if the first try is a bit dry.

Also if you're trying to have less red meat in your diet some other ideas are fish rissoles (I've made them from canned salmon and tuna which are lovely), grilled meats instead of patties, baked falafals/ veg rissoles, and definitely a home made black bean burger (freaking tasty!)
    Thanks!! :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Weight gain = calorie surplus. Any food can cause a calorie surplus.

So eat any meat you like, just eat within your caloric needs
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Chicken