Remote Camping Ideas

Options
Marianne802
Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
We are going remote beach camping for 14 days over the easter holidays with family and friends. By remote I mean, limited power (solar panels), no internet, no phones and no toilets.

These holidays usually lead to my doom with me getting out of routine and taking months to get back into it. Theres the night time sociallising around the fire usually with drinks. I will have no access to MFP cannot track my calories. As for taking food I have not had success in the past with fresh fruit and vegetables lasting long in an esky. I do have a cryovac machine that I haven't tried out yet. Maybe this can be used for certain veggies (I will google that).

So far I plan on taking
  • Tinned tuna, chicken, sardines, tin veggies
  • Tinned fruit, dried fruit
  • Frozen vegies
  • Eggs
  • Cryovaced meat and salmon (hopefully there will also be fresh fish).

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Muesli, trail mix, tea, cocoa, coffee, peanut butter, crackers, I take it you are not backpacking in, as you are taking a lot of canned products. Take some seasonings, lemon pepper, salt, for the fish. Apples and bananas stay fresh fairly well, and almond milk.
  • nettam3re3
    nettam3re3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How about hearty fruits & veggies like carrots, squash, whole peppers, onions, bagged kale, apples, oranges, whole mellons, celery, ect - fresh items that have a shelf life longer than two weeks?
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nettamere3 wrote: »
    How about hearty fruits & veggies like carrots, squash, whole peppers, onions, bagged kale, apples, oranges, whole mellons, celery, ect - fresh items that have a shelf life longer than two weeks?

I tried these on a previous trip. Most of them didn't make it past 3 days. Carrots went black. Might have to find better storage solutions. Temperature in eskys can be a bit up/down. I did read somewhere to wrap each piece individually, and try the cryovac.