PCOS: How many carbs a day?

Options
is there anyone on here who has successfully lost weight and kept it off and also has PCOS? if so, what kind of foods did you eat? how many grams of carbs per day? what is your exercise? thx!! :)

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The carb intake thing seems to be highly variable. Some women find they don't have to restrict carbs at all, others do to greater or lesser degrees. I'm doing around 100g a day and that's working for me.

Generally the advice is to cut down in increments until you find your sweet spot.

As for exercise, I walk and do yoga. I keep telling myself I need to add some strength training, but it hasn't happened yet :p.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I don't count carbs, I am a vegetarian though, that would make things very restricted for me.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I am and have been maintaining my weight loss for over a year and a half.
    I don't watch carbs (actually I don't count at all any more) and I didn't worry too much about it when I was losing. I just concentrated on what foods made me feel ok, and pretty much stick to a lower GI form of eating.
    Lots of vegies, a bit of protein, and let everything else fall where it will. When I was logging food, carbs always seemed to come out lower (mostly made up of the vegies and some fruits I ate) but I didn't set out to try and eat that way.

That said, I rarely eat bread, but that's more because I don't like it much (personal preference). But if I'm craving toast for example, then I eat a piece of toast.

In terms of exercising, I walk, run, swim, lift weights and just do fun stuff. I started with walking and worked my way up.

You just need to play around and find out what works for you. Every body is different.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    As long as you're losing I wouldn't even really worry about it to be honest. I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 6 months ago and my endo wasn't worried so long as I lost weight. Now if my insulin levels are still not cool when I have my next set of labs and checkup, then I might have to change things and start meds.

I'm at 323 grams of carbs today (it's pizza Friday).

Yesterday was 194.

Wednesday was 176.

Tuesday was 146.

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There is a thread in the low carb forum about PCOS and other health issues.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • AngelaAwesome97
    AngelaAwesome97 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!! :) this is very helpful.
    i think i must be more sensitive to carbs then most people with pcos, cuz my doctor said i had to be on like a diebetic diet and be on medication. (altho i stopped the medication cuz it made me cray cray!) lol thx again yall!
  • FITM0M30
    FITM0M30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone sorry I am tacking on another question to this post regarding PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago when I was having a hard time getting pregnant. All my doctor told me about this was having to do with fertility. I don't understand, does it also prevent you from weight loss?

I have packed on the pounds but kept giving up when I tried to lose it. I just thought it was because of my will power?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    FITM0M30 wrote: »
    Hi everyone sorry I am tacking on another question to this post regarding PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago when I was having a hard time getting pregnant. All my doctor told me about this was having to do with fertility. I don't understand, does it also prevent you from weight loss?

I have packed on the pounds but kept giving up when I tried to lose it. I just thought it was because of my will power?

PCOS is a bit of a misnomer, and they are considering changing the name. It has far more to do with insulin resistance, which my endocrinologist said is "the hallmark of PCOS". She was also shocked that I got pregnant twice on my own.

This helps explain the cycle in your body caused by PCOS...

http://www.fertilityfactor.com/insulin-resistance-and-pcos.html
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have pcos. I've been fairly low carb & gluten free for 3 months it has been helping. My diary is open...feel free to take a peek. I'm here if you need support or have questions!