Hypothyroidism and what has worked best for you?!

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    clnrush wrote: »
    Thanks Another_,
    I am relieved it isn't just me (synthroid also) and poor dental care on my part... I do all the right things to care for them, yet have bad checkups recently.. I hate it when I doubt myself.

on weight loss.... I really have to watch close on my calorie intake and exercising has made a big difference for me... I try and walk 4 times a week for 1 hour. It is slow, 1/2 pd. loss a week, but I will happily take it. :)

Don't be too hard on yourself! Some teeth problems I think just come down to genetics. At least I think I remember reading that.

• chazza_x
    chazza_x Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take my tablets every morning between 7am-8am.. On my days off this is when I just wake up and on my nightshifts at work this is when I have just come home. I take 150mg levothyroxine daily and don't really know the best ways to taking it, what does everyone else here do? I want the best possible result to help with losing some weight!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should have a more focused question. There are a few types of hypothyroidisms.
  • stenchdog4000
    stenchdog4000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I take 175g levothyroxine each night before sleeping.
    My throid levels are now stabalised and i'm losing weight like anyone else.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You should have a more focused question. There are a few types of hypothyroidisms.

Maybe. But from what I understand having talked to other people, these other forms (i.e. genetic, as one poster above stated - I'm assuming that means an underactive thyroid without the antibody issue?) tend to "act" the same, and the rules for thyroid hormone replacement are the same. In addition, Hashi's is the most common form of hypo-T, so though hypo-T doesn't exclusively have to be Hashi's, she'll probably get a good few response from other Hashi women/men. I didn't see anything wrong with the OP's question. It was a jumping-off point. Just the way I saw it.

• Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi there..another hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) person here!
    I was diagnosed about 4 years ago and my medications have changed at every single appt. They cannot seem to get me in an optimal range (where weight loss will be a bit easier, I am told.)

right now on Synthroid (125) and Cytomel (10). I eat 1200 calories a day and do not eat back exercise calories...which range from 300-800 calories on most days.
    I have lost 6 lbs in 7 weeks so it is VERY slow.....but I am keeping with it.

Feel free to friend me---I would love to have friends who are in the same boat!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Cking1162 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed about 4 years ago and my medications have changed at every single appt. They cannot seem to get me in an optimal range (where weight loss will be a bit easier, I am told.)

right now on Synthroid (125) and Cytomel (10). I eat 1200 calories a day and do not eat back exercise calories...which range from 300-800 calories on most days.

Wow, that's not many calories if you're not eating any back. Are you using a food scale?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cking1162 wrote: »

6 pounds in 7 weeks is NOT slow. Do you NEED to be eating 1200 (you're short and don't have much to lose or are older)? If you truly are burning up to 800 a day and it's not just an overestimate (which many exercise burns are wont to be), you really should be eating some of that back.

As for your thyroid, I've been where you are where they can't find the right dosage. It's frustrating. Hang in there.

The fact that you are losing at a good rate (1 pound a week is a good rate) in spite of what's going on with your thyroid is potentially a sign that you're restricting calories too aggressively.

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When your labs are drawn, make sure they check T3 and free T3. Some people have trouble converting T4 (levothyroxine and synthroid) into T3, which is the more bioavailable but does not cross blood brain barrier. Some people look strictly at TSH and T4 and that may not tell the whole story.
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had it for a long time but finally got serious about treating it about 8 months ago. Facing turning 50 this year I decided to make a real effort in wt loss. Signed up with MFP in January and then got a fitbit for my birthday in February. Since mid January I've lost 20 pounds. My TSH has been normal for 6 months now so that is helping a lot. Started off at 240 pounds and just hit 220 this week. Still have a long way since my goal wt is 140 but this is the most progress I've made in years!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 19 - Hashimotos here too. I've been level for a long time, Thank God. My med dosage only changed while I was pregnant for my daughter. I know a lot of people do not have that luxury. There is a book called "Living Well with Hypothyroidism" that gave me a lot of good advice and ideas. It hits on all the different causes and gives some good tips. Real life though - "eat right and exercise" - as mundane as that sounds, limit bad carbs - eat a high protein and high fiber diet and stay active. I'm able to lose, but I gain very easily too when I slip and go off the wagon - so to speak. I rarely drink and I really watch what I eat - most of the time. We all have our binge moments of weakness. Long term though? It's simple, not easy, but simple.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I used my hypothyroidism as an excuse for years and ended up 70lbs heavier. Lost 40 of those and will be back to my fighting weight. Once I realized it was nothing but an excuse life got simpler and better.