Staying motivated at 1200 calorie suggested by MFP

Options
I'd lost 52 lbs and changed my goal to lose another 10 lbs. I've been doing 10 lb increments all along which has kept me motivated as it was easy to lose just 10 at a time. I'm 5'4 and my current goal is to go down to 140. When I entered this goal the result was my daily calorie intake went from 1340 to 1200. I'm finding it really hard to stick to this lower calorie goal. It's becoming demotivating and I've gained 3 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Admittedly I've been eating worse! Even eating more than my previous 1340 daily intake. Ugh, anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the 52 pounds!

With 10 pounds to lose, you're better off setting your goal to a half pound a week. That should give you more calories than 1200. For me (42, 5'5, about 143#), that's about 1500 plus exercise calories. As you're finding out, a smaller calorie goal is hard to stick to and can lead to overeating.

The hardest part of weight loss is psychological. If you think you're doing well, you'll do well. If you feel like you're failing, you'll want to quit. If your calorie goal is 1500 and you eat 1499, you're doing great. If your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat 1499, you "went over."
  • getupandgo877
    getupandgo877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try changing to a 1/2 lb a week.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its pointless doing soemthing too severe if it makes you miserable plus you cant stick to it.
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1200 the entire time on MFP. I am continuously loosing every week. It was hard at first but you get use to it. Having friends with open diaries and eating the same calories really has helped!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options

With 10 pounds to lose, you're better off setting your goal to a half pound a week. That should give you more calories than 1200. For me (42, 5'5, about 143#), that's about 1500 plus exercise calories. As you're finding out, a smaller calorie goal is hard to stick to and can lead to overeating.

The hardest part of weight loss is psychological. If you think you're doing well, you'll do well. If you feel like you're failing, you'll want to quit. If your calorie goal is 1500 and you eat 1499, you're doing great. If your calorie goal is 1200 and you eat 1499, you "went over."

Great advice.
  • piensdawn
    Options
    [quote="getupandgo877;10116323"]I'd lost 52 lbs and changed my goal to lose another 10 lbs. I've been doing 10 lb increments all along which has kept me motivated as it was easy to lose just 10 at a time. I'm 5'4 and my current goal is to go down to 140. When I entered this goal the result was my daily calorie intake went from 1340 to 1200. I'm finding it really hard to stick to this lower calorie goal. It's becoming demotivating and I've gained 3 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Admittedly I've been eating worse! Even eating more than my previous 1340 daily intake. Ugh, anyone else have this happen?[/quote]

• piensdawn
    Options
    That isn't what I wanted to do on the last one above ^^. I was going to say if you are struggling with 1200 call a day, make it one day you eat back up to 1340, then back down. I also joined VFX( Venus Factor X) it is only diet out there for women. YouTube it and you can see for yourself it's amazing. Something to be designed only for women to loose the weight and stay thin. They say women need to deficit for 6 days and eat up on the 7th day, to 1500 cal. Then back down again. It help you loose more fat. Try also different excerises to burn more calories and fat.
  • getupandgo877
    Options

Great advice.

• getupandgo877
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I was getting frustrated because the 52 pounds came off pretty easily at the 1340 losing 1 pound a week. I did change to 1/2 pound a week and got back some more calories. Have been under my calories since. I do need to start some different exercise too. Again, thanks for the replies!