Anybody else not snacking?

Options
when I started I took the approach of keeping snacks on hand to handle between meal urges (not always hunger) but lately I have been eating nothing at all in the hours between breakfast and lunch or lunch and diner.

It's like the psychological urge to eat is diminished, unless there is something extra tempting in front of me that is.

Replies

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't snack as much when I'm focused on eating well because the choices I make for meals keep me fuller longer than the donuts I may choose if I'm not watching my food. I also don't buy "junk" because I have issues with moderation and will eat all of it, whatever it happens to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. I mostly don't snack between meals because I eat better at meals and really don't like most snack foods that much (since for me they have to be portable), and thinking about eating between meals makes me hungry when I normally wouldn't be, so I end up eating more. I go a long time between lunch and dinner, so sometimes work in a snack when I exercise hard that day, and I'm currently experimenting with post workout snacks, but no need to snack if you are getting enough food and don't feel like it.
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the group who believes eating every few hours is a Good Thing. That said, my medical team has me on very low calorie so I only have one snack a day in the evening to stay in my limit. I also believe, do whatever works for YOU.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't snack at all. When I eat I eat. lol! The 2 - 3 well-balanced meals I eat each day are very filling and keeps me full until the next meal or next day. This was the way I ate growing up in the 70's and 80's...3 square meals, no snacks and activity (playing outside and chores).

It's not for everyone, but I trained myself to stop mindlessly snacking after dinner, then I stopped snacking during the day. No snacking works great for me.

It does all come down to total calories for the day or week, but small snacks never filled me up, so I ate more. It's good to try different things to see how your body reacts.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't snack as much as I used to. I used to be able to eat all day if I felt like it (how did I end up 4 stone over weight?!)
    In my case, my capacity to eat was huge so I imagine my stomach was stretched. I now eat much smaller portions and I cant physically eat as much as I used to. My appetite is diminished too. I do still snack but its more to keep up my calories and protein and I make better choices.

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    For me snacking is rare. I have worked hard to get where I am. One donut isn't worth the set back for me. Yeah, I know the calories in calories out thing. It's true, but I also think it can be used as an excuse.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't snack mindlessly anymore - grazing out of boredom or just because it's there. I also don't plan snacks unless I know I will be away from my kitchen for several hours and don't have plans to eat a meal out.

If I'm hungry, I eat. Usually, it's a meal with plenty of protein, fats and fiber. I still have less nutritious unplanned treats occasionally, but only occasionally.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I don't snack at all. When I eat I eat. lol! The 2 - 3 well-balanced meals I eat each day are very filling and keeps me full until the next meal or next day. This was the way I ate growing up in the 70's and 80's...3 square meals, no snacks and activity (playing outside and chores).

Same. (And I also grew up in the 70's and 80's.) If I'm feeling low-energy on a workout day I might eat an apple or a pack of beef jerky on the way to the gym, but that's about it. But I don't get hungry that often, and I've never minded being hungry for a while until the next mealtime rolls around.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know - what is the difference between a snack and a meal?

I usually eat five meals a day, some bigger, some smaller, but all complete with a vegetable and some fatty protein. I aim not to eat inbetween meals, but I will have a taste of an especially tasty treat if I feel like it.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I usually eat five meals a day, some bigger, some smaller, but all complete with a vegetable and some fatty protein. I aim not to eat inbetween meals, but I will have a taste of an especially tasty treat if I feel like it.

That's a good point, I don't mean snacks like chips or cookies (though I do have those regularly) just small ish pieces of food between the three big meals.

Originally for me it was out of concern for being hungry during the day and that leading to binge eating later.
    And that was helpful early on, but I soon started noticing I hadn't eaten my snack and wasn't hungry or even craving between meals. This morning I realized the fruit I kept at home was turning bad since I hadn't eaten them like I meant to.

I think it's both my stomach adjusting to my smaller diet and my mind adapting and I'm more secure with there not being food at hand.

I was wondering if others had noticed similar changes, it seems that however I get my cals I'm good for the day. I can have a very large lunch and be sated straight through to breakfast this not over eating by the time diner comes around.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

That's a good point, I don't mean snacks like chips or cookies (though I do have those regularly) just small ish pieces of food between the three big meals.

Originally for me it was out of concern for being hungry during the day and that leading to binge eating later.
    And that was helpful early on, but I soon started noticing I hadn't eaten my snack and wasn't hungry or even craving between meals. This morning I realized the fruit I kept at home was turning bad since I hadn't eaten them like I meant to.

I think it's both my stomach adjusting to my smaller diet and my mind adapting and I'm more secure with there not being food at hand.

I was wondering if others had noticed similar changes, it seems that however I get my cals I'm good for the day. I can have a very large lunch and be sated straight through to breakfast this not over eating by the time diner comes around.

I agree with you - I have grazed on and off for years, and having and using a meal plan removes most of the the anxiety I've had around food and eating. I used to eat more or less constantly, and gained weight. I feared hunger, and dreaded the weight gain. Now I feel that there is nothing wrong with feeling hungry before a meal, and the hunger is manageble because I eat better.
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have wasabi almonds that I'll snack on about once a week. Also one banana and one orange per day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Depends on my calorie goal. At 1600-1800, I eat 6 times a day. At 1500, that's where it cuts down to 5. Still...snacking. Yes.
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Snacking is my downfall; especially if I'm at home. So I make sure to eat three healthy meals and maybe throw in a yogurt if I'm low on calories.

This is what I try to do. Reality is often different. Once I start snacking it's difficult to stop. Spring break has been an eating disaster. Hoping to get back on track next week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't snack at all. It's completely unnecessary, and takes away calories from the main meal leaving me less satiated.

Seems to work for some people, though, so figure out what works for *you*! :drinker:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I found out that without know it, I do IF. I naturally eat in an 8 hour window and do 4 meals. Doing that, who needs to snack?
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat at 9/11/1/3/5/7 so 6 times a day, but they are all very very small meals so I guess you could say I "snack" all day lol
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im not much of a snacker generally speaking... Its something Im trying to incorporate, to help me hit my calorie goals, but Im just not used to snacking and never keep snacks in my home, so its a challenge for me.

Like @rainbow198 said, my meals are pretty filling and keep me satated, so I really dont feel hungry between meals. But I really should try...Im hitting 1200 net, even though my goal is 1360.. and when I work my way up to maintenance, its going to be a lot more. So I need to start figuring this stuff out right now.

I do like veggies, and so veggies with hummus is something I do sometimes. I like homemade popcorn, just something I havnt done in awhile, but I really should make that more. I also could stand to eat more fruit. Stuff like that would be good for snacking on.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I eat three times a day. I usually don't eat in between, though my third "meal" is later at night and very "snacking," a "fun food".

I know, eat three times a day, very 70s of me. ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when i first started i did. now its much more uncommon. i do have a snack 'category' but it doesnt necessarily mean a snack - could be a beer, tea, whatever...