Side Salad - Calories & Nutrition data entry for MFP

Options
Short of measuring each & every item in a small SIDE salad to accompany dinner, is there a general ITEM in the database that actually works for entering that? I saw "SIDE SALAD" which seems really low in Calories (35), so not sure if that's right depending on what's actually IN the salad. I just don't want to spend the effort into weighing each & every item part of a salad (e.g., lettuce, bells, brocolli, etc.) If I just plate the salad & weigh THAT (e.g., 250g.) is there a simple way to account for a general amount of calories that you guys all use? I know that DRESSING is a huge part of that count & I will add that separately as the TBS's used for that type of dressing; ditto for fatty stuff like cheeses.

Replies

• KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Try using homemade garden salad. And yes, before the cheese, bacon bits, dressing, etc., it's pretty low in calories for just the vegetables.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You could weigh it all out once, and have it in your recipes, and choose it every time you eat it. It would take...maybe 4 minutes. Possibly shorter than it took you to write this thread.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For something I eat a lot of I make it a recipe so I have it every time
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    For something I eat a lot of I make it a recipe so I have it every time
    Yep, me too. My homemade basic salads are all pretty similar and I figure that the minor variances will not have a major impact on overall calories. I add that, and then any higher calorie additions (e.g. dressing, avocado, cheese etc)
    Makes it much quicker and easier.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    35 calories is often right on for a side salad though, as it's typically just lettuce and tomatoes... then add the dressing separately.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Mine is typically always the same stuff, so I weighed everything and saved it as a meal (57 cals).

If you can't be bothered I don't think 35 cals will have you far off the mark.