Cocoa Macaroons

Options
reprimal
reprimal Posts: 11
edited March 2015 in Recipes
Hopefully you can see the food in the database if you Add a Food to your Diary, search for:

"RE's Recipe in Forums - Re's Cocoa Macaroons"

(It's a lot of work for me to do this to share in the community, so if you do use it, please post a thanks just so I know that people are enjoying this info.)

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Cocoa Macaroons, 1 serving(s) 86 7 7 2 50 1

Cocoa Macaroons - Annotated
Yield 20 servings (20 cookies)

Based on Rachel's Vanilla Macaroons: Using a little less coconut and replacing it with cocoa powder. Plus, adding in some coconut oil.

210g / 2 cups Dried coconut flakes (unsweetened)
40 g / 1/2 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
6 Tiny scoops of KAL brand 100% stevia extract powder
100 g / 1/2 cup Erythrtitol, non-GMO
-OR- 1/2 cup sugar may be substituted for the stevia and erythritol
182 g / 3/4 cup, or 5 Large egg whites (yolks saved for another purpose)
Pinch Salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. Coconut oil

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. After separating the eggs, mix the vanilla into the egg whites, and then mix into the dry mixture. Mix very well.
Use a small cookie scoop (2 Tbsp.) to create mounds on the parchment paper. Cookies will not expand so it is okay to put them close together (but not touching).
Bake for 15 minutes. The vanilla macaroons should have a little bit of toasted brown color. With cocoa macaroons, be careful not to overbake or the product will be dry.

TIPS & SOURCING NOTES:

With bulk dried coconut priced at under $3 per pound (check your prices), our family is starting to love these. I consider them Primal. You can decide if erythritol fits your definition of a healthier choice. Try looking it up on MarksDailyApple.com. I cannot tolerate much coconut flour, but flaked coconut is a digestive "yes" for me.

I like to make up a big batch for the week for snacking, on the go treat or even a breakfast indulgence. I recommend making a file folder of only Primal and Low-Carb recipes you can go to for years to come. Sometimes we get off track, and then we need a go-to file for when we need to get back on track!

You may taste the "dough" but don't eat much! Egg whites are best eaten cooked in order to eliminate the avidin. Avidin is nutritionally counterproductive--it binds biotin which is found in the nutrient-rich yolk. Biotin is an important B vitamin. Plus, raw whites are high in histamine--not a good thing for anyone with allergies or a runny nose. Try raw egg yolk "egg-nog" (or in a smoothie), and save the egg whites for your Macaroons!

"However, deficiencies can be caused by consuming raw egg whites over a period of months to years. Egg whites contain high levels of avidin, a protein that binds biotin strongly. When cooked, avidin is partially denatured and binding to biotin is reduced. However one study showed that 30-40% of the avidin activity was still present in the white after frying or boiling.[1] Hence excessive cooked egg white consumption could possibly cause biotin deficiency. From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency&gt;

For people like me who have a low sensitivity to egg whites, Wikipedia says: "They are more often able to tolerate well-cooked eggs, such as found in cake or dried egg-based pasta, than loosely cooked eggs, such as fried eggs or meringues, or uncooked eggs." From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_allergy&gt;

If I find myself having any type of histamine reaction, even hay fever, I will temporarily reduce my consumption of egg whites.

GATHER:

Tools. Since I started making macaroons and baking with almond flour, I find cookie scoops an invaluable tool. I have both 2 Tbsp. size and 4 Tbsp. size. With the scoops, I can get scones on the tray very fast and in uniform size (important if you are measuring your nutritional intakes. Look for one that's all metal (if you can: no black grips).

Parchment paper. Eliminate washing the pan by lining the pan with parchment. You care re-use it a few times. This is such a time saver I use it almost always when baking anything! Parchment paper is coated with silicone.

Desiccated coconut (this just means dried and unsweetened which you can find in bulk at co-ops (The Wedge has it in bulk bins or in packages in baking aisle) or brands: Bob's Red Mill, Let's Do Organic. Online source: znaturalfoods.com, Vitacost.com)

Egg whites (separate your eggs. Use the raw yolks for raw egg nog or in smoothies—super nutritious! Or, use the yolks in cooking a dessert such as baked custards.)

Erythritol. Look for a Non-GMO brand like NOW (I buy it at vitacost.com). Try your favorite health food store. Online source: znaturalfoods.com , vitacost.com, Amazon.com.

Stevia. KAL brand 100% stevia extract powder. This is my favorite stevia. So economical and tastes good to me. Using stevia as part of your total sweetener combination allows you to reduce sugar or erythritol—saving you either calories or the higher cost of the erythritol. Vitacost.com

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these look good and I have all the ingredients. I am going to try them with stevia + erythritol as the sweetener.