Losing 100lbs — Any Suggestions?

Options
Hi folks!

I'm quite overweight—I started at 345lbs and I'm 6'2. I want to lose 100lbs. That's such a daunting goal, but I'm making progress.

I've started eating at a deficit of ~1000kcal, I've started up a workout routine, and I've lost ~10lbs in the last month.

I want to keep this up—so, I want to ask those of you who've lost a lot of weight: what are the (two or three) most important pieces of advice you could give someone like me?

Replies

• beard83flt
    beard83flt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started myself. I started out over 360 and 5'9". I started end of last year, and I am down to about

First off it is hard. I am working out on an elliptical every day and tracking everything that I eat. That does not mean that I don't eat food that I like. Instead of eating pizza and burgers every other day, I have 1 day a week that I can eat most anything. I don't over eat when I eat out "KEEP PORTION CONTROL". If I think that I over ate I will add a workout the next day to cover it.

I use a small plate instead of a full size plate when I get my food. This is basicaly tricking yourself with what you put on it, and do not go back for seconds.

I do take vitamins, protein, fish oil, and ammino acids for when I weight train.
    Good luck man.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't try to lose too fast. 1,000 calories under is crazy! If you keep this up, you will likely get very discouraged and depressed. Losing a pound or two a week isn't hard as long as you eat right. I've been averaging half a pound a week, which is fine with me. Much better than continually gaining a pound or so a month!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1000 calories under for several months, so don't let the discouragers bother you. All I can say is to keep at it. I hope that when you reach your goal that you'll decide to keep going. Also, don't stress out too much if you don't lose as fast as you would like. If you do it and keep doing it day after day, you'll eventually look down and you'll be close to your goal.
  • keyofnight
    keyofnight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't try to lose too fast. 1,000 calories under is crazy! If you keep this up, you will likely get very discouraged and depressed. Losing a pound or two a week isn't hard as long as you eat right. I've been averaging half a pound a week, which is fine with me. Much better than continually gaining a pound or so a month!

I guess I should say something about my rationale for my diet, because it does sound a little crazy.

To maintain current weight, I need 3000 calories—so I still eat about 2000 calories a day. If I'm successful, and I reach my goal weight (200-230lbs...I'm not sure), I will need about 2000-2500 to maintain that new weight.

I figured that I should get used to 2000-2500 calories a day, because that's really what I should be eating for the rest of my life.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I take my losses in small steps...looking at the whole picture does seem daunting. Many little good days makes great weeks and sometimes I look at my days meal to meal.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had about 130 pounds to lose and I have lost almost 60 pounds in the last 14 months. My biggest things that have helped to keep me on track is:

** Weigh my food on a food scale and make sure that I am using the most accurate food entries when logging my food.

** Using a heart rate monitor instead of MFP's estimates of my calorie burn from exercise. MFP grossly exaggerates the burn and I like having the data from my heart rate monitor.

Be patient as this won't happen over night. Use other factors besides the number on the scale to measure your progress. I prefer to use before and after pictures, measurements to determine the inches lost, the way my clothes fit, and improved fitness. If I rely solely on the scale I can get discouraged when it seems that the scale is not moving fast enough!

Good luck!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I gage how my clothes fit.....how I am processing my food (feeling) and how I move about the world. My walks with my husband are easier then when I started. I feel better after I walk, instead of foggy and tired like before.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Patience and time. I am down over 60lbs but it has taken over 2 years. Log EVERYTHING. You can do it.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 115 pounds in 18 months. My philosophy is small goals. For example The next 10 pounds, getting under the next miles stone, breaking through a barrier, looking forward to a Night out and maybe new smaller clothes. Anything really that doesnt focus in the big job in hand !

I want to lose maybe 40-50 pound more ( i carry a lot of weight on my legs ) but im not thinking about that big figure. My next target is getting under 200 and then I'll find some other small goal ! Even 10 loss starts to make you feel better !

Good luck on your journey :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    1. Don't expect perfection. Striving to be perfect breeds stress, and stress breeds the desire to quit.

2. Habits over motivation. Try building small habits gradually until they become a part of you. Motivation is nice but it's a rollercoaster, if you make it your main ride you are likely to go through times when you don't have enough of it to move forward or stand your ground.

3. It's okay to take maintenance breaks every once in a while. A week, a month, even a few months, however long it takes to refocus. Maintenance breaks teach you a lot about maintenance, which is very important if you want to avoid having to go through the weight loss process again. Just make sure to keep weighing yourself during breaks to avoid gaining weight.

4. When you lose weight your weight loss will gradually slow down. Be mentally prepared for the fact that at some point you will have to move to a 750 calorie deficit, then to 500, then maybe even to 250.

5. It takes a long time to lose 100 pounds, so any dieting approach you choose will need to be one that you will be able to maintain for a long time. Pick the easiest route that will still get you results.

6. It takes time for your brain to catch up with weight loss. Sometimes you will feel like there is barely any difference in your body or shape despite losing a lot of weight. Don't let that discourage you. Trust the tape measure more than you do your eyes.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1. Don't deprive yourself of cravings you want because that could lead you to binging and not being able to stop yourself.
    2. Always love yourself no matter what weight you are at. Watch your diet and exercise because you Love yourself... not because you hate what you see.
    3. Be active and take up a new hobby to keep your mind off of old habits of eating out of boredom, sadness, or any emotion related to unnecessary eating. For example, painting, knitting, running, and photography are all wonderful things to keep you busy!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It's not crazy for someone who is over 300 pounds. To put it into perspective, when I first started my weight loss at -1000 calories I was eating 1700 calories before eating back exercise calories.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 30lbs in on my 100lb weight loss. My advice:
    1. Be patient and don't let the scale get you down. Focus on non scale victories as much as possible.
    2. Don't be too restrictive. It may lead to binging. You have to find what works for you, it may take some trial and error.
    3. If you have a bad day/meal, just log it and move on. Sometimes life happens.
    4. Find an activity you like that gets you moving!
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Focus on smaller goals and not the entire 100lbs. I found that if I tell myself I wanna look 10lbs by x time then it doesn't seem as overwhelming when you're in it for the long haul.

I also find that if I have a craving for something, I'll try to find a healthier version first, but if the craving returns then I just eat whatever it is within moderation; this allows me not to feel so deprived and prevents me falling off and binge eating it! On that same note, I don't recommend 'cheat days', but rather cheat meals. If you allow yourself to eat whatever you want in a single day, then you can easily offset all the work you put in the previous week and you'll see no results.

Stay accountable and in a supportive environment. I have found even if I mess up, I come on MFP log it (accept it), get re-motivated by my successes, and re-inspired by my fellow MFPers, and move on to the next day. I never say, well I messed up this meal so the rest of the day or week is shot.

Finally, reveal in every milestone step you step out for yourself. When you have so much to lose you, you don't want to wait until the final lb is lost to celebrate. Fall in love with the process and get excited at every little victory.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    From your several posts it seems you are doing things right. Just keep it up.

If you eat fewer calories than you eat, you will lose weight. The keys for me to hitting those calorie goals are portion control, fitness (heavy lifting & slow uphill climbs), frequent small meals & snacks, and I limit my carbs.

The last two items leave me feeling satiated much of the day which helps me control my eating.

As a note, I do not do splurge / cheat days. Occasionally I make a mistake: am forced to eat out by my poor planning, it is the one day a month my boss buys us doughnuts, or the meals just landed on the heavy side when totaled up. I will suck it up and move on. I do not let it get me down. But also, I do not plan ahead to fail by having cheat days.
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me......... I stopped eating at 6 or 7pm( Stopping all eating at this time put my body in like a 11-12 hr fasting period til my next meal) Final meal= Shake. Had solids the rest of the day, but make sure that final meal is just liquid. And of course be in some sort of caloric deficit. Oh and try to get active. Any kind of physical activity is a huge plus. Good luck!!!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Take pictures regularly. I lost 127 pounds and took pictures on a weekly basis. When I felt like my progress was slowing or just had no motivation going through and seeing the changes really helped me stay motivated. I still keep a picture from my highest weight on my phone so if I'm feeling down or just need boost, I can look at that and be proud of myself for what I've accomplished.

Congrats on getting started - read the forums (lots of really knowledgeable people here who are very generous in sharing and giving suggestions). You'll do great!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've also been doing -1000 calories per day, and I'm doing fine with that regimen 173 days in. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do; just because THEY can't do it doesn't mean that YOU can't!
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten lots of good advice from the people above. I just wanted to say good luck to you, you CAN absolutely do it! I set out to loose 125 lbs about 20 months ago and as of today I've lost 98lbs. (I quit smoking at Christmas time and gained 10lbs back before getting back on the horse)
    I guess my one piece of advice would be to be realistic with your expectations of how long it will take to take the weight off. I figure I'll probably be at the 3 yr mark before I reach my goal but atleast the whole "life style change" should be well ingrained at that point! :smile: