Meal Prep?

Options
How many of yall meal prep? I have two kids and a husband, do yall do it for significant others too? Do you eat the same thing everyday? Do you just do dinner?

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I plan our family suppers ahead and usually prep before to save time. I leave late for the office (to avoid rush hour), so I can prep in the morning and my husband can pop things in the oven or reheat, since I get home later. I choose my own office hours and this works for us, since my son is nearly grown. We usually have a few home made meals in the freezer to help with busy weeks; I take time on the weekend or the occasional week night to cook a big stew or couple pot roasts.. We do not eat the same thing, but we have favorite and fast standby meals (my fave would be baked salmon, roasted broccoli and rice). I always have lots of greens for salads that I toss with with either sliced fruit or tomato and avocado. I push the "half the plate with veg" philosophy. Even when he was small, our son was a good eater and had no problem eating the same meals as us.

I plan my son!s lunches and mine ahead. My husband is very fit and watches his weight/food intake, so he often makes his own lunches, but sometimes we take the same thing to the office if one of us made it the night before. We usually eat different things at breakfast, but if I make steel cut oats in the crockpot or a few eggs, we might all eat the same thing with fruit.

I must admit that I'm quite militant about what we eat. I really do plan a lot and have for years. It keeps us eating well and I think I'd spend a heap more on groceries if I didn't plan so much. My husband helps a great deal but I tend to be queen of the kitchen and our weekday eating.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'll plan my meals while I eat breakfast. It's just me and my roommate, so what I cook today will usually be split for dinner tomorrow too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I sort of food prep (chop, portion, rinse, soak, freeze) single ingredients, but don't meal prep, as I want food to be as fresh as possible, and it takes no more time to cook, than to reheat. And I like the freedom of choosing dinner the day before, not go by a set weekly plan.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    As a family we cook to eat.

I'll prep leftovers in to small grab meals/snacks, but other than that it's cook as you go for me.