sahm losing confidence.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new on here and just wanted to get my story out there. I am a sahm of 2 boys and have gained a significant amount of weight in my eyes at least over the past four years. Im trying to lose 50lbs to get me back to what i was before i met my husband and had my 2nd child. I find it very hard though fighting cravings off and not eating when I'm bored. I am active i wirkout everyday and do alot of walking. I just can't get out of the I'm bored i need to eat something. Any suggestions??

Replies

• justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Iam in the same boat just wanted to say your not alone!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that too! I try to find things to do when I am feeling bored to prevent mindless eating. I crochet, clean out a cluttered space, read, play a trivia game on the internet, or walk around the house doing some light tidying (putting things back in their place type of thing). I will also drink some water when I am feeling bored.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Boredom is hard to fight. I picked up a hobby that I can do almost any time. I chose facepainting, and as an added bonus my boys love being painted. Score for family bonding.
  • lemonblossom
    lemonblossom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Today I have no control, but usually I go outside to try and get my mind off of snacks or get a glass of water. Today it is to hot to do anything and I think that's part of my problem.
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's so hard especially since i just weighedyself for the 1st time since I started doeting in december and i have found out I've actually gained 7 lbs. :\
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    Weighed myself* and dieting* lol i hate my phones keyboard
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love to snack too, so I have built that into my calorie goal. I know that if I had to eat 3 square meals and not really snack, I would fail. So I know what I like, and I make it part of the program.

For example, I eat smaller meals and increase activity so I can "afford" to eat the snacks. I have one sweet or salty snack each day (usually some chocolatechips or popcorn or something) but my other snacks - the kind I go to the fridge when bored for - are things like sliced cucumber, grapes, baby carrots, lean turkey pepperoni, apples, etc... things that give me the feeling that I am munching but that don't require a ton of calories.
    I try to not go against my natural rhythms, it helps me succeed - I like to munch all day and I like to have an evening snack. I can do this if I plan it right :)

Also sorry to hear about the gain... are you tracking diligently and sticking to your calorie goal? Do you get much exercise? I find weighing myself weekly helps, so I can adjust what I'm doing to get better results. Waiting 3 months to weigh would not work in my world!
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    I am tracking diligently and i do exercise. I hadn't weighed my self in months cause i didnt see any real loss and got discouraged on my old program.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm an older mom who has already traveled this road. If I could go back and talk to my younger self I would say:

Stop, get ahold of yourself! You have two beautiful children to enjoy. Take them out to the park, run around chasing them, if you can't get out then build obstacle courses to run through with your kids. Log every bite/lick you put in your mouth. You do not want to be 53, watching your blood sugar and trying to lose 160 pounds, regretting all the times you physically couldn't do something with your family because of your weight.

Those a just a few of the things I would say to myself.
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    I appreciate it i do i remember being little and wanting my mom to play with us but she really couldn't cause of her weight. It's s constant fear of mine that i won't be able to do things with my boys thats why i try to do as much as i can every minute i can :)
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Cross stitch. Or some other crafting that keeps your hands busy. I like cross stitching, I can set it aside for as long as I need then pick it up again and set off. Plus, I hate the idea of having to constantly wash my hands to keep the cloth and thread clean from greasy or sticky snacking.
  • SuzMar17
    SuzMar17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat....for me it's not boredom....I too have 2 boys 4 and 15 months, and I too gained over 50 lbs and I also work full time, and my first minute alone time which is always 10 pm....I look for anything ....it's more stress reliever and now realizing a very bad habit....it's a struggle....but wanted you to know too I am in the same boat....I now just go to bed or read a book until I pass out...not easy!!!
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same problem. I am a sahm to four children, and you'd think that would be enough to keep me from stuffing my face! Haha, but it has not been. What I'm doing is just trying to stay positive and keeping it at the forefront of my mind at all times. Asking myself why I'm eating something helps, even if I wind up eating it anyway.
    I also remind myself that I'm not a victim, and if crap ever went down, I want to be strong enough to protect my family. (It's weird, I know, but it motivates me. Lol)
    I'm also constantly trying to make sure my house is jam packed with HEALTHY stuff-that way if I do want to pork out, it is with good stuff. That helps, because it isn't only for me, but for my children. I want them to grow up being as healthy as possible, enjoy a healthy lifestyle, and NEVER have to endure the body image issues I have had to endure.
    Sorry this is kind of long and might not make sense, I'm socially deprived. Lol
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    Lol no it does i very rarely get adult time as well! I agree i don't want my kids to have the body issues me and my sister did. I have always been scared of balloning up so i would jusrceat bits here and there then pig out then not eat and my sister has struggled w/ anorexia and bulimia she is still very neurotic about excersising and food in general. I guess in a way we both are still dealing with eating disorders we never really got over them. I don't want my kids growing up being like that. My oldest sons dad is extremly overweight and my son is so scared of turning out like that. I try to be positive and tell him thats not gonna happen cause your not him you don't sit around the house and do nothing your out playing sports, having fun with your step ,dad eating right and your still growing you need to eat. It's hard co parenting with someone who is not a good influence on healthy eating habits, my ex, his g,f and their 6 yr. Old are all grossly overweight and eat nothing but crap.....its very sad. my son doesn't want to eat when he's there every other weekend all he will eat is cereal. Sorry so long lol guess i needed to vent
  • knichols2176
    knichols2176 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have heard for years that certain diet plans would be satisfying and won't make me feel deprived. Those diets were not designed for the late night boredom/stress diet sabotage eaters like me. It wasn't until I finally told myself that it's ok to feel deprived, that I could get it under control. (It's ok to feel "bored "hungry). I drink water with orange benefiber in it. It seems to help with the hunger swings. Many feel that fiber regulates estrogen levels, which is a very serious hunger hormone! Hang in there, it takes 28 days to establish a habit. I'm on day 12 and seems like my common sense is more powerful than the mindless munching these days.
    Good luck!!!!
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi I really feel the same!
    I lost 45 pounds 4 years ago took me a while after I had my daugter to realize I am letting myself go. I lost 45 pounds in 3.5 months.

Now I'm back! LoL I had a son last year and now doing the same! I already lost 10 pounds and have 25 to go.

It's much harder this time around!
    I have 3 kids and I am also a sahm.

Just need to focus on losing weight, excerise helps relive so much stress also off me. It is one of the most hardest things I done is to lose weight, it is a huge challenge
  • blueriotgirl
    Options
    In my opinion quitting smoking and losing weight are the 2 hardest things to do. Its funny you never realize how much of a hold these things have on your life till you try to get rid of them. I used to smoke when i was bored so i didn't snack now im trying to quit both and it's hard. Tge one thing i used as my frutch for food i don't want to use anymore and vice versa.
  • mustardyellowshirt
    Options
    In my opinion quitting smoking and losing weight are the 2 hardest things to do. Its funny you never realize how much of a hold these things have on your life till you try to get rid of them. I used to smoke when i was bored so i didn't snack now im trying to quit both and it's hard. Tge one thing i used as my frutch for food i don't want to use anymore and vice versa.

Hah, we are in very similar boats, it seems. I've also been trying to quit smoking, and have managed a few days at a time without any cigs, but inevitably pick them up again. I've promised myself that if I pass my equivalency test on Friday I will drop them for good. :)
    Luckily I am not dealing with having to co-parent with a separate parent, but my husband can have a hard head about some of the changes I want to make, OR, even if he agrees with them, he isn't as motivated to actually so anything about it, so I'm stuck holding everything up on my own. He also sabatoges out of love (lol) by bringing me treats despite my declarations that I want to stay in the guidelines. It's going to take extra work with him around.
    I'm sorry your child is having to deal with that, though, and you as well. Maybe it would help for the both of you to set up meal plans together? As well as grocery shopping and/or taking walks together? Sounds like he is old enough yo be able to get some quality stuff in with him! :smiley:
  • mustardyellowshirt
    Options
    Hi I really feel the same!
    I lost 45 pounds 4 years ago took me a while after I had my daugter to realize I am letting myself go. I lost 45 pounds in 3.5 months.

Now I'm back! LoL I had a son last year and now doing the same! I already lost 10 pounds and have 25 to go.

It's much harder this time around!
    I have 3 kids and I am also a sahm.

Just need to focus on losing weight, excerise helps relive so much stress also off me. It is one of the most hardest things I done is to lose weight, it is a huge challenge

Wow! 45 pounds in 3 months is quite an accomplishment! Losing weight is so much more difficult than putting it on. Haha @____@