What food would you like to try, but are intimidated by?

Options
124»

Replies

• BritDillinger
    Options
    Avocado. Seriously. I want to like it. I want to love it. It’s one of the best fruits to eat while living a very low carb lifestyle and there are so many things you can make from it, but I’m terrified of not liking it. I’ve never had it and it looks so odd. I’ve never had guacamole either.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    pffft...food is intimidated by ME
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    All this fruit talk reminded me of durian. I've never been able to bring myself to try durian. The shape screams "don't eat me," the smell screams "don't eat me," and even when I found it precut into tiny, inexpensive portions at the supermarket, I still couldn't do it.

I may have an adventurous palate, but I don't have an iron stomach.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    All this fruit talk reminded me of durian. I've never been able to bring myself to try durian. The shape screams "don't eat me," the smell screams "don't eat me," and even when I found it precut into tiny, inexpensive portions at the supermarket, I still couldn't do it.

I was trying to think of the name of it. ..this! Durian! I watched this food series of this guy who travels around the world eating some pretty exotic foods. ..stuff I never even thought qualified as food lol but the one thing he can't stand the taste of is durian. Considering all the stuff i saw him eat, i have to say that makes me apprehensive. I'd still try it! Lol but nervously.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Exotic fruit that sometimes appear in my local supermarket.

They're horrifically expensive so a huge waste if it turns out I don't like it. And maybe they're not in the best condition after travelling thousands of miles and I'm not getting an authentic taste anyway (but won't know any better).
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am not intimidated to TRY food (for the most part) but COOKING some foods intimidates me.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Beets.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My ex basically left me for a horse. That sucker sucked up so much of her time and money that I basically got shoved out of the relationship by Wilbur. The next time I am in France......I plan revenge.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

I was trying to think of the name of it. ..this! Durian! I watched this food series of this guy who travels around the world eating some pretty exotic foods. ..stuff I never even thought qualified as food lol but the one thing he can't stand the taste of is durian. Considering all the stuff i saw him eat, i have to say that makes me apprehensive. I'd still try it! Lol but nervously.

It's funny because I can toss down raw seafood without batting an eyelash! (I paid for the ceviche at that Peruvian buffet dearly.) But durian is described as "eating ambrosia in a pit of raw sewage!" I even regularly try things I know I don't like, just to see if my tastes have changed. I just haven't been able to get past the fact that my nose is telling it's inedible.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

It's funny because I can toss down raw seafood without batting an eyelash! (I paid for the ceviche at that Peruvian buffet dearly.) But durian is described as "eating ambrosia in a pit of raw sewage!" I even regularly try things I know I don't like, just to see if my tastes have changed. I just haven't been able to get past the fact that my nose is telling it's inedible.

You sound exactly like me! (I looove ceviche...can't do any buffets though. They freak me out lol) but yeah, even when i don't like something, whenever it comes up for me to try it again, i will. Especially if it's something everyone else likes, i keep trying, different varieties or ways of preparing it, whatever, cause i feel like I'm missing out on something awesome!

But yes, I too have heard Durian compared to smelling like sewage or something gone rotten. I'll probably try it one day, just not in any rush here lol
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    Beets.

Beets used to gross me out. I always thought it would be like eating dirt.

Now my FAVORITE thing on a salad is fresh shredded beats. YUM!!!

After ruining a shirt, staining my counter pink (cheap apartment countertops), and staining my hands red for weeks I learned to shred them in the food processor.

• jubillante
    jubillante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    I love trying new foods. Now, I'm no Andrew Zimmern ( Bizarre Foods ), but some of the stuff on his show has looked interesting.

Specifically, id like to try more SE Asian cuisine ... stuff like Pho, Curry, Sushi. Thing is, I don't want the Americanized versions, I want culturally authentic.... and that usually requires travel, so very expensive.

Come to Vancouver! The Chinese food is rated the best in the world haha. Just saying, it doesn't need to come from the country of origin to be authentic! If you actually do decide to come out to Vancouver I can tell you which places to go :stuck_out_tongue:

Bonus: much lower chance of getting food poisoning!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Eggplant. It's just a big purple thing... it's so scary.

Lol that's hilarious. I made a moussaka the other day. We call it aubergine in England.

Tuna steak is yummy.

I'm scared to try sushi.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Artichokes. :) I cooked some at home once years ago and was not pleased with the results. Maybe the second time they would come out better.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Eggplant. It's just a big purple thing... it's so scary.

It's delicious! Backed in the oven with some tomatoe sauce, cheese and garlic! YUUUMmY