Do carbs make you hungrier?

Options

Replies

• runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It depends on the carb. My weekly carb percentage is 55-60%, but I never go hungry. I eat mainly whole grains. It's the white flour and sugar carbs that tend not to keep you feeling full.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I personally get full on the bread I eat and it keeps me satisfied. Now Salad is a whole other story. I tried salad on and off for 4 weeks ans every time I ate one an hr later I wanted to eat all the food in my house. I felt like if I could eat my arm I probably would. I realized that a combo of carbs and protein seem to help with the hunger so I dont snack nearly as much.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit when I eat high a higher percentage of carbs.

I'm currently at 5% carb; when I get around 15%, I could eat all day and not feel full. I have a medical condition, though. My hypoglycemia causes extreme hunger and carb cravings when my blood glucose drops too low. I feel like I need to eat all the foods.
  • ChaiTea2015
    Options
    Whenever I get like that I start eating a lot of protein until I reach that "Satisfied" feeling.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at the very most 115 g carbs a day and my calorie goal is 1400 a day. Today I went to a luncheon and ate 128 g of carbs at that one meal. I have been doing low carb for a month and had no problem keeping myself near and below 1400 calories. Today, after that meal, it seemed like a hunger switch was turned on. I have been hungry, thinking about food, and eating all day. I have eaten 3,200 calories TODAY and STILL feel hungry. That's more than double the amount I've eaten each day in the last month. Do you think the carb-loading could have caused it?

They don't make me hungry and I regularly eat between 250-3590g carbs a day because ....delicious

I think changes in carbs will dramatically and quickly reduce / increase water weight on scale though...by up to 10lbs ...like in a matter of hours
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Its different for many people. Personally, the first things I cut down on in my diet was bread and pasta. (Not potatoes though. Which is weird.) I can eat as much as I want of those two and they just don't fill me up.

But fill me up, and make me more hungry are 2 different things...
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    today I ate 350!!
    350 is not a bad day. I consistently eat 250-350 carbs daily and I'm at my goal weight and am starting to see an definition through workouts.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Personally, they make me feel full for a good part of the day. Plus they seem to fuel my workouts.

Same here. Gotta have carbs...
  • tracedlines
    tracedlines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I strive for an 80-10-10 vegan lifestyle and I shoot for 500g carbs a day! I think the right carbs (fruit & roots) satiate me and leave me full.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I notice that the higher my carb count is, the hungrier I am. I try to go 80-100g of carbs a day. I love carbs!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I balance my carbs with fat and protein. I think that's the secret for not having a crash with them. I find them very sating. If I had a meal that was all protein and carbs and didn't have some fat, I wouldn't be satisfied with that either.

It's all about balance for me.

Exactly this, for me.

People tend to react differently, OP, so they might make you hungrier, but I wouldn't conclude that simply because eating unbalanced carbs make you hungrier.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat 45% carbs. Usually between 250-350g a day. If I eat low carb I find I'm tired and have no energy. I haven't had any problem feeling full, I feel satisfied most of the time.
  • carolinebond0206
    carolinebond0206 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd also like to know what "mild keto" means?
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of food that contains the carbs. I find that if I eat too much starchy carbs (white potatoes or rice) or less nutritious carbs (basically any carb found in a box) I am extremely hungry all day. If I eat veggies, salads, or even things like sweet potatoes I don't get the same reaction. I suspect that this is a glycemic index type thing. In short, my body releases a ton of insulin to compensate for too many carbs and I feel crappy and hungry all day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Many people report being hungrier with a higher percentage of carbs. Personally I find them more sating than protein. But I have the best luck with mixing all three macronutrients in each meal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make me hungrier - eating higher protein and/or fat also doesn't make me less hungry. Carbs give me energy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love carbs and I wouldn't say they make me hungrier, its just protein and fats keep me sated longer.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Overall, no. After eating a bagel..yes. I want to smash things and wish I had a steak instead.
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yesss especially empty carbs! I try to always pair them with lots of protein when i know there is a special event filled with carbs but sometimes this gets the best of me too=) it is so hard but i always celebrate the times when i can get through it without eatin

g the world!