Crazy to go straight to marathon after Couch to 5k?

Options
I just ran a 5k today, and it was fantastic. I loved it. I did it through a couch to 5k program and I loved that program too. I love being out on the road or a trail running. So now I want to go for a marathon. Hal Higdon has a 30 week plan that builds from 9 miles a week to a marathon. It's just in time for the local marathon in the fall. I want to do it, but I don't know if I'm being too irrational. I'm not injury prone in the least. Any input? Am I just being crazy? And if I'm just being crazy, what should I do instead?

Replies

• scottjeniferl
    scottjeniferl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do it! Try it! If you want to, you can do it! Even if you walk half of it, even if you just pass the finish line, then you have done something you have never attempted in your life! And you will never forget! And just think how good you will feel when you come in before last place!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How crazy it is depends on how much time you have to train and what the cutoff time for the marathon is.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any input? Am I just being crazy? And if I'm just being crazy, what should I do instead?

I did C5K two years ago, did a half marathon after about 18 months.

fwiw I've just sacked a marathon plan 10 weeks in as it was forecasting a 4:15 completion time. So I'm currently working on improving my half marathon time to about 1:50 before I think about restarting a marathon plan.

While it's entirely possible to get to marathon distance in the time that you're talking about, it strikes me as a pretty miserable experience. Plus you have no time to recover from the inevitable injury.
  • gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would recommend against going straight to a marathon. I've been a long time runner (dozens of 5ks and 10ks) and have done several half marathons. I made the jump up to full marathons and it was extremely difficult. I'm by no means a great runner and I could not imagine going from 5k to marathon training.

The training for a marathon is very grueling. By the end you're probably going to be doing at least 40 plus miles a week. That is a lot of miles.

I would recommend moving up in stages. If you've done a 5k make it a goal to run a 10k. 10k is my favorite distance. After a 10k or two try a 10 miler or half marathon. I would recommend two full cycles of training and running a half marathon before trying a full.

Just my two cents.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Sure, but that's not much time to allow for injuries or setbacks. I'd recommend hitting a 10k and half marathon first - just to make sure you actually like running long distances, and to get some race day experience. Training to run 40-50 miles a week is so very much different than running 10 miles a week.

I mean, hauling my half-dead carcass across the finish line doesn't really seem like the idea of a good day to me. Especially if I know that I can do better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Sure, but that's not much time to allow for injuries or setbacks. I'd recommend hitting a 10k and half marathon first - just to make sure you actually like running long distances, and to get some race day experience. Training to run 40-50 miles a week is so very much different than running 10 miles a week.

I mean, hauling my half-dead carcass across the finish line doesn't really seem like the idea of a good day to me. Especially if I know that I can do better.

All of this.
    Most programs I've seen have you run a 10k and 1/2marathon race during the program, why not work towards those first and see how that goes. The marathon can be the long term goal, without the 30 week time limit. If you can work up to that in that time, great, but it also lets you be flexible so you can take rest when needed or if injuries crop up.

I've had some really bad races, none at a marathon distance though. It's not fun. Doing that for a marathon is not something I even want to think about.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've read quit a lot of books about running because it is a passion of mine. I've been running now for 6 years. Every book I've ever read says that someone should have their running legs for about a year, minimum, before they try a marathon. Be patient and learn more about running before you just dive into it. You'll be way better prepared for it both physically and mentally.

You can do it....but it's just not good for your body to beat it up before it's had a chance to develop the muscles it needs to be a true machine - and you definitely need to be a machine to run a marathon.

Good luck to you!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Perhaps one day we can hope to live in a world where the technology exists for there to be races with distances greater than 3 miles but shorter than 26 miles. But alas, since those are the only two race distances in the known world, you have no choice but to go straight to a marathon for your next event. God speed.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First do a 5k to 10k program. Then a 10k to half marathon plan. After that consider whether you wish to go to a marathon next or not.

I began running just about a year ago. I ran a 10k last September, and then built to a half marathon by November. It was actually quite hard, and I found myself injured not too long after the half marathon with an overuse injury. When that healed I started training for half marathons again, and it is still pretty hard but I know I CAN do a half marathon, that is not so much a concern.

However, I have also learned a lot about distance running, my body, form, strength, endurance and even diet all leading up to this point. I am not convinced right now that I have a strong enough strength base to begin pushing to a full marathon this year, but that was my plan originally. It is still early, I could change my mind. But I think it would be best to just finish half marathons strong and definitely faster through this year and look at building even more miles to maybe do a full marathon next year.

Not all people are the same though. We all are coming from various starting points healthwise, agewise, etc. Maybe you can do it this year. But I really suggest pushing yourself through a 10k first, then a half. Then you will know a lot more about your capabilities and not have to guess or rely on the guesses of others.

I do think it would be a bit rash, maybe even foolish to just say "go for it" though. I mean, these distances over 10 miles are hard.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the high you get after a race. You sound like you're still intoxicated from the 5k. Wait until you sober up and then try a 10k or half marathon before you try doing the full marathon.
  • fswku
    fswku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you can commit the time involved, there's no reason not to try it. But it IS a commitment, and there will be more misery involved than you may think.

I started C25K back in August, finished that, and then moved to 10K on my own. As soon as 2015 rolled around, I started on a training program for my first half-marathon. For the most part, it's not too bad. Except for Sundays....Sundays SUCK. Six miles? No problem. Eight? Sure. But now the Sunday runs are 10 or more (tomorrow is 13, next Sunday is 14). I CAN do them at the required pace...but after I get back...the pain. I won't kid you, I want to die for a solid hour and a half, starting about 30 minutes after I finish.

The upshot to all this is I can keep the required pace with all the nasty hills where I run, and the actual race is pretty flat, so it should be MUCH easier and noticeably faster. But I'm under no illusion that I won't be in pain at the end of that as well.

Not to discourage you. By all means go for it if you think you can. Just be aware that there will be days that suck more than you ever thought running could suck.

That sense of accomplishment, though? Priceless. Your legs will feel like they're on fire, your joints might be screaming in protest, your mouth will be either dry or slimy, and you'll wonder what you got yourself into. Then you'll look at a map of your route (be it for training, or the race itself), and realize that you made it and you're still alive. And that goes a LONG way to dulling the pain. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fswku wrote: »
    If you can commit the time involved, there's no reason not to try it. But it IS a commitment, and there will be more misery involved than you may think.

I started C25K back in August, finished that, and then moved to 10K on my own. As soon as 2015 rolled around, I started on a training program for my first half-marathon. For the most part, it's not too bad. Except for Sundays....Sundays SUCK. Six miles? No problem. Eight? Sure. But now the Sunday runs are 10 or more (tomorrow is 13, next Sunday is 14). I CAN do them at the required pace...but after I get back...the pain. I won't kid you, I want to die for a solid hour and a half, starting about 30 minutes after I finish.

The upshot to all this is I can keep the required pace with all the nasty hills where I run, and the actual race is pretty flat, so it should be MUCH easier and noticeably faster. But I'm under no illusion that I won't be in pain at the end of that as well.

Not to discourage you. By all means go for it if you think you can. Just be aware that there will be days that suck more than you ever thought running could suck.

That sense of accomplishment, though? Priceless. Your legs will feel like they're on fire, your joints might be screaming in protest, your mouth will be either dry or slimy, and you'll wonder what you got yourself into. Then you'll look at a map of your route (be it for training, or the race itself), and realize that you made it and you're still alive. And that goes a LONG way to dulling the pain. :)

No reason not to??? So an injury from doing too much too fast isn't a reason?

There's a difference between pain and injury. What you're proposing for this new runner has a high likelihood of injury.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If limping across the finish line is what you'd consider a success, then go for it. If you want to run 100% of it and have the satisfaction of a well executed race, wait at least a year, better bet would be two years, given your level of fitness.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I did it. I don't recommend it. I pushed myself too hard and finished the marathon injured with a time I'm not proud of. I've been constantly dogged by injuries since, because I never gave my body time to get used to longer distances.

Think how awesome it feels to run. Now think how miserable you'll be to lose that. Triple that misery. That's about half of what it actually feels like.

Not being "injury prone" in C25K is an entirely different universe than training for a marathon...
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Half Marathons are a fantastic distance and way easier to train for than a full. I went from 5K to Half Mary using Hal Higdon's novice training program. You can do it!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bad idea. It takes a long time to get up to distances after C25K. I would say you should go up in the ranks and start with a 10K first.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I echo the hold your horses sentiments. Work your way up the food chain. Training well for the 10k, 10 mile and 1/2 marathon distance will help you both physically and mentally prepare yourself for a marathon, if that's what you choose to do a year or two from now. It took me 2 years of 5k and 10k races to work up to a half marathon and then 6 more years before I decided to take on a full marathon. It's not something to rush in to! You'll have plenty of time to get there.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a half. I went from a 5k to a half in about 6 months. Had a 3:40 time and felt like my *kitten* was gonna die. I also recommend good shoes if you're going to commit. I had cheap crappy ASIC GLS's from kohls and couldn't walk for a week and a half after my 1/2. Good luck!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the high you get after a race. You sound like you're still intoxicated from the 5k. Wait until you sober up and then try a 10k or half marathon before you try doing the full marathon.

So true. I've been running now almost 2 years. Done 12 5K’s, an 8K, and 2 duathalons. Thought I would go for a 10K, and towards the end of that training I realized that was a little too much @ this time, with everything else I have going on. So, back to improving my overall physical base, pace times, 2 duathlons ad then maybe back to a 10K towards the end of the year for me.

Important thing is, don't go out too heavy too quick. Pace yourself. It's true in an individual race as well as goal setting.
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I just wanted to clarify the not injury prone thing wasn't really based on c25k, more on just my life, I have high energy, heavy and repetitive activities, for my jobs (landscaping, grounds maintenance). Just never been injured, even as co-workers were having issues, and haven't ever been injured in general. I'm not so naive that I don't know a few injury-free weeks of training doesn't mean I'm not injury prone.

Of course you all are right. I just like having an intermediate-length goal plan. I'm building my plan right now for the next three weeks, and I'll take it from there.

Thanks!