do you adjust your clothes?

Options
Hi..I think I will lose 5lbs more and then maintain but all my work clothes I bought at Christmas are now to big... I don't want to get rid of them as some of my skirts and blouses I really like..but they don't fit anymore and so I'm thinking of making them smaller..has anyone else done this? I think I might need a machine to do a good job. How can I make them smaller without messy them up?

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You'd honestly be better off taking them to a tailor to see if it can be done. It might be worth the cost if they can fit it for you; usually cheaper than buying new clothes! If you're not a seamstress, it'd be very easy to muck up .. and a machine is usually very helpful if you do try.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been at my sewing machine all week, because I recently went down one size.
  • runnrchic
    Options
    FYI if you can sew in a straight line, that's all it takes. I don't sew on jeans though just work pants and shirts.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need a machine.

If you don't know how to sew, going to a tailor is a better bet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't bothered, but it was cheap clothes (like $8 shirts) so I just gave them away.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a seamstress (or have loads of patience) then I'd recommend taking them to a tailor. And yes, a machine would be ideal. Sewing by hand is very time consuming.
  • jackstraw67201
    jackstraw67201 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take them to a tailor. The end results will be worth it. I brought a bunch of jackets to the tailor. Half he was able to take in. The other half he showed me how the patterns would look "off" if he took them in that much.
  • runnrchic
    Options
    Surely I'm not the only one that sews in my own clothes? It may be cheaper to take a few lessons. Ive found that knowing how to sew has been very valuable!
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one that sews in my own clothes? It may be cheaper to take a few lessons. Ive found that knowing how to sew has been very valuable!

I don't want to spend the money for a new (working) sewing machine when I'd much rather spend it on new Nike's. :#

It definitely is valuable, but I like keeping tailors in business I guess. :p
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    All the time.

But I must admit this is a "cheater" kind of question for me... I'm a professional tailor...

And just fyi: *any* garment can be altered to be smaller, its really just a matter of how good your tailor is and how much you're willing to pay them to do it.

Minor alterations (like basic bust darts and such) are generally quick and easy and therefore should be relatively cheap in comparison to purchasing a new garment.

Other things can require changing significantly more dimensions on a garment than you might imagine, requiring an entire deconstruction which is then carefully re-cut and completely rebuilt to maintain the original style at a new size. Obviously, this is an expensive process.

Your tailor should be able to give you an accurate labor estimate and cost quote on literally *anything* you want done.

So give careful consideration to how much you "love" whatever it is you're thinking about having altered... some things are definitely worth the time and expense to tweak, and some things you're better off just buying a new one...
  • happykelly209
    happykelly209 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HAHA I always wear my HUGE clothes around the house.. and go to discount thrift stores for the rest because I am not at my goal quite yet. Great question
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think it might be cheaper to buy a machine and alter myself as I have around 6 or 8 blouses to change,2 skirts,2 trousers,1 or 2 dresses...I was trying to lose weight to fit my wardrobe but now have gone down more than I thought possible. It is a funny phenomenon but some how wearing bigger clothes feels just as bad as wearing clothes which are to right. And I want to show off my figure a bit now xx
  • voodoo24
    voodoo24 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    if they're pants and skirts that you'd wear the blouse/top over the top without tucking in, folding a bit of the waist over and hand sewing is good enough. I did this to all my work pants as they become too loose at the waist.

Blouses and dresses, yes you'll need a sewing machine to put in some darts yourself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have a seamstress nearby. She can take in a size without having to redo the garment. After the next size, I happy give away the clothes.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Eeek. I would not have an idea. I gave my big clothes away and bought new ones.

Re-sizing clothes was one of the things my mother never taught me before she died.

I'd personally take them to someone else to re-size for me if I wanted to go that route. :)