Coconut milk vs 1% milk

Options
What's your thoughts about coconut milk? I'm doing the switch from 1% milk.

Replies

• landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me, blech.

However, both my wife and my cousin have issues with lactose and they like the extra fat in their diets so they drink it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I like it better than cow's milk. :)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If you like it go for it.

I personally prefer normal cow's milk, because it has more protein than any of the substitutes. I already struggle to hit my protein goal, so while a substitute milk is tempting because of the lower calories, I would rather not have that extra burden... :neutral_face:
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular milk, even skim. Coconut water tastes like, well, water to me.

I don't understand how people who prefer almond or coconut milk can say that skim milk tastes like water and not the same about the former. I just bought coconut, vanilla flavored, and I barely taste anything.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

I don't understand how people who prefer almond or coconut milk can say that skim milk tastes like water and not the same about the former. I just bought coconut, vanilla flavored, and I barely taste anything.

Your tastes change I think. When I started losing weight, I switched from regular to skim milk. At first, skim tasted watery to me.

Now, 2 years later, full cream tastes too creamy to me, and I was friggen raised on full cream! Haha.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

HUGE difference between coconut milk and coconut water. Coconut milk is hugely rich, creamy and very high in calories. Used in a lot of Asian cooking, particularly Thai. very coconutty. Coconut water is just weird.
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    first of all let me tell you to research this things for yourself and don't take my word for it.

cow's milk produces mucus in the body, it's not digested properly even if you are not lactose intolerant, cows are treated with antibiotics that then pass on to you that not taking into account what they are given to eat and the conditions in which they live and are milked so if you want milk go for organic and make sure you know what you are ingesting.

Coconut milk in addittion to being delicious has antibacterial properties, the fat is the good kind that helps you lose weight not gain it, also you can make it at home by putting some shredded coconut (it can be dry) in a blender jug, adding boiling water and letting it sit for 1 hour, then blend it and pour the mixture on to a colander with really small holes or a muslin cloth, squeeze the liquid onto another recepient and done, it's delicious.

once refrigerated the fat will solidify at the top and the liquid will be at the bottom.

Also why not explore oat milk, hazelnut milk (my favourite), almond milk...
    they are all much better nutritionally than cow's milk and there's plenty of recipes on the net on how to make it and their healing properties.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I like both. I think variety is fun and helps me stick to a better diet.

The coconut milk must be the unsweetened kind. Some groceries only stock the kind with sugar in it. Yuck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like to dabble in non-dairy "milks" but for me nothing can replace real milk. As for switching, I don't think coconut milk is worth the calories on a regular basis. I drink 2-4 cups of milk a day so if I make the switch to coconut that would mean 600-1200 calories of coconut milk alone, so for me it's not worth it.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you prefer.

I must be one hell of a mucousy antibiotic ridden mess, because I drink a whole lot of milk. I use full fat, semi skimmed or almond milk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    first of all let me tell you to research this things for yourself and don't take my word for it.

cow's milk produces mucus in the body, it's not digested properly even if you are not lactose intolerant, cows are treated with antibiotics that then pass on to you that not taking into account what they are given to eat and the conditions in which they live and are milked so if you want milk go for organic and make sure you know what you are ingesting.

Coconut milk in addittion to being delicious has antibacterial properties, the fat is the good kind that helps you lose weight not gain it, also you can make it at home by putting some shredded coconut (it can be dry) in a blender jug, adding boiling water and letting it sit for 1 hour, then blend it and pour the mixture on to a colander with really small holes or a muslin cloth, squeeze the liquid onto another recepient and done, it's delicious.

once refrigerated the fat will solidify at the top and the liquid will be at the bottom.

Also why not explore oat milk, hazelnut milk (my favourite), almond milk...
    they are all much better nutritionally than cow's milk and there's plenty of recipes on the net on how to make it and their healing properties.
    Yeah, whatever you do OP, don't watch the same documentary this person did.

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HUGE difference between coconut milk and coconut water. Coconut milk is hugely rich, creamy and very high in calories. Used in a lot of Asian cooking, particularly Thai. very coconutty. Coconut water is just weird.

Nope, not coconut water. I had the So Delicious brand coconut "milk" as I wanted to give it a try on sale. I stand by my statement, it has a hint of flavor, but really not that much IMO.

Looking at the package however and your statement, while they call it milk, it may in fact fit your definition as water, as it is certainly not high in calories - forty per one cup serving.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Nope, not coconut water. I had the So Delicious brand coconut "milk" as I wanted to give it a try on sale. I stand by my statement, it has a hint of flavor, but really not that much IMO.

Looking at the package however and your statement, while they call it milk, it may in fact fit your definition as water, as it is certainly not high in calories - forty per one cup serving.
    They (So Delicious Brand) referred to animal saturated fat as sinister. wow. Also it's not just coconut milk, it a formula and probably why it's lower in calories and fat. Basically it's a coconut type drink and not actually just coconut milk. Mystery solved.

• rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant here so I drink Coconut milk all the time. It's good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Who would drink straight coconut milk? The stuff is so high in calories it's not even funny. I just use it for cooking.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Who would drink straight coconut milk? The stuff is so high in calories it's not even funny. I just use it for cooking.

Exactly.. a scant cup of it is 300 calories. I would rather have a 100 calorie glass of milk and 200 calories of cookies with it (or size up my meal). It does make an amazing calorie bomb of a milkshake though.
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-coconut-milk

http://thepaleomom.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-coconut-milk.html

you cannot compare store bought processed stuff with homemade ever, if you enter homemade coconut milk on the food search you'll see it has 67 calories per 200ml, as it is mostly water and if you want you can even skim the solidified cream and it will be even lower, i use a ratio of 1/3 coconut to 3 parts water.

And for the people who takes a fence at my comment that milk is not good for you ,do your research before you start waving your fists in anger http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/dec/13/foodanddrink.weekend, facts are facts, it is your body though so do what you want with it.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

cow's milk produces mucus in the body,

Nope, milk makes mucus thicker, so it's more noticeable, but doesn't increase production

cows are treated with antibiotics that then pass on to you

Beef cattle are treated with antibiotics. If milk tests positive for antibiotic residue, the whole lot is discarded and the farmer loses it all. Big financial incentive to NOT bring antibiotic treated milk to the dairy

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk tastes disgusting on cereal. 1%milk tastes better on cereal. Whole milk trumps all.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    http://bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-coconut-milk

http://thepaleomom.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-coconut-milk.html

you cannot compare store bought processed stuff with homemade ever, if you enter homemade coconut milk on the food search you'll see it has 67 calories per 200ml, as it is mostly water and if you want you can even skim the solidified cream and it will be even lower, i use a ratio of 1/3 coconut to 3 parts water.

And for the people who takes a fence at my comment that milk is not good for you ,do your research before you start waving your fists in anger http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/dec/13/foodanddrink.weekend, facts are facts, it is your body though so do what you want with it.
    So when you say "homemade" did you actually husk the brown coconut yourself, as well as grind it? Or did you buy dry pre ground coconut from the store. This Pacific Islander would like to know.