What lifting weight exercises??

Options
Stats 42 year old female 5 10 148 pounds. I wanted to lose 10-15 pounds but don't know if that would be best or just start lifting. The belly button to knees is a problem. My knees are getting that fat sag over them. Pics for clarification. I went to gym today and signed up but it will be two weeks before a staff member can meet with me. It is totally all Greek to me and have no idea with machines. Suggestions and thanks. Currently using home stairstepper 1 hour 6X week for an hour and basics such as squats,crunches etc..w11sfliyhx0p.jpg
qd2x5340bjy6.jpg
7mx2buuiasaf.jpg
rjr696u0sgkz.jpg
3xi479049j5g.jpg

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The machines all emulate free weight exercises. Compound movements like a bench/chest press, overhead/shoulder press, pull-up/ lat pull down/ row for upper back, squats, lunges, deadlifts, for quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back will give you the best results for least amount of time. Try to include exercises that will hit all your muscle groups. Look up videos on YouTube, bodybuilding.com or other sites to find out how to do the lifts properly. If in doubt, watch other members of your gym on how they use the eqipment, or ask someone there if they can help you figure out a piece of equipment. Most people are more than happy to help Someone new.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lift...and lift heavy (for you). If the staff member tells you that you "can't ", ask for a different one.

You won't bulk up, I promise. Lifting with the boys has done SO much for me. My legs are solid, my arms are pretty good. I still have issues with my belly...but I'm 40 and have given birth 3 times.

There isn't much to compare to stepping into the squat rack and squatting the same as the guy before you (225lbs)....or warming up with the weight some teen boys left on the deadlift bar at the end of their workout (95 lbs total weight) before hitting TWO new personal records (200 lbs, then 205 lbs) :)
  • jennygarofalo
    jennygarofalo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Give this a try. Don't get caught up in the supplements that are offered, but this will give you an idea of some of the lifts, terminology, etc.