Do you ever feel like you have to be the lowest weight possible?

Options
I feel like I can't be beautiful unless I am the smallest size possible, like no one will want to date me, I won't enjoy shopping unless I am the smallest size, I will always find fault with my body etc.

How did you get past that mindset?

Replies

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know is hard, but people who generally tend to gain back all the weight they lose are people who think all their problems will go away once they hit goal weight.

This isn't true. You will still have problems and issues even if you are underweight. You need to learn to love yourself and be happy at any size, which takes time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know is hard, but people who generally tend to gain back all the weight they lose are people who think all their problems will go away once they hit goal weight.

This isn't true. You will still have problems and issues even if you are underweight. You need to learn to love yourself and be happy at any size, which takes time.

100%. Being slim is not going to fix any problems, it's your mindset that needs to be right. Thinking you can't be happy unless you're skinny will lead to an eating disorder, because you'll get 'skinny', still not be happy, and think that being even skinnier is required. You need to learn to like yourself, be confident and believe you deserve happiness and success in a way that is divorced from your physical state. Being a healthy weight is something to do because you respect yourself and you're worth it, not as a prerequisite to feeling worth.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I feel like I can't be beautiful unless I am the smallest size possible, like no one will want to date me, I won't enjoy shopping unless I am the smallest size, I will always find fault with my body etc.

How did you get past that mindset?

Speak to a doctor
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Too skinny is just as bad as too fat. No really.

Wether your the size of a truck, or the a skeleton, neither are beautiful.

And weight loss won't fix any of the problems in your life. You won't be more happy at a smaller size than you are now, if your life is in the same state it was before the weight loss.

If you were unemployed and broke while being fat, being skinny won't fix that or the stress that comes with it. :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Being too skinny will just give you new things to dislike about your body, it won't fix that. You'll likely feel tired, distracted, and flat all the time too.
    It's not a healthy way to think. Please see your doctor if it continues.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Regarding that particular body / mind issue, I can only offer what I found to be true for me. It wasn't until I stopped attacking my weight from an aesthetic view and changed to an overall health goal did I start to lose. It might be because you're young and of that "thigh gap" generation...I'm just guessing. But I can tell you size itself doesn't equate happiness, and it took me a long time to figure that out .
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Being too skinny will just give you new things to dislike about your body, it won't fix that. You'll likely feel tired, distracted, and flat all the time too.
    It's not a healthy way to think. Please see your doctor if it continues.

+1

• xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    It might be because you're young and of that "thigh gap" generation...I'm just guessing.

Surprisingly, I'm not concerned with having a thigh gap. I don't think I have the right build for it, I've never had one.