Exercise bike calories burned vs MFP calories burned.. huh?

So I have my own exercise bike at home which I use as part of my workouts, however I'm slightly confused when it comes to the calories i've actually burned. I use the bike from 45-60 minutes at what I would say a 'steady' pace (I read a book or magazine whilst I'm on it else I'd get bored), on a gradual uphill/gradual downhill setting (the bike is the Reebok Z9 just incase anyone's wondering), and on the bike itself it shows me I've burned 700/800+ calories in that time. However, when I enter the amount of time into MFP (I enter it as 'stationary bike, general') it says I've burned around 400 cals. I go with what MFP says as I don't want to overestimate but why such a huge difference between the two?
Incase anybody's wondering I'm 5ft4 and currently just under 148lbs (wanting to lose 20-30lbs), which is not information the bike stores. Help, anyone?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Sorry but I think that even what MFP reports is an overestimation. To burn that many calories, I doubt the pace would allow you to read at the same time.
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    if you can afford a heart rate monitor, that would probably give you the most accurate reading but I think what the bike shows you are burning is way high!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    They both also seem high to me. I'm an inch shorter and about 10lbs lighter but I burned just under 500 calories by running for 45 minutes this morning (as based on my HRM). I'm pretty sure I'd burn a lot less on a bike for that amount of time. Honestly if you want more accurate then you're going to have to get a HRM. How many calories YOU burn is based on so many different pieces of information that anything from a machine or a website is just going to be a rough estimate.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    400 is more accurate, but MFP is notorious for overestimating, so I'd even cut that down a little bit. 700-800 is way too high. It's really unlikely burned that much, especially if you were able to read a magazine while working out.
  • I'm the same weight as you (but 5ft 2). My HRM gives me about 300-360 calories burned for 60 minutes on the exersise bike. :)
  • misstmarie______xo
    misstmarie______xo Posts: 14 Member
    Ah okay, thanks guys! I know what I shall be investing in after pay day, haha!